Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 225

Author Topic: Slavehack - protect your IP!  (Read 351791 times)

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
Re: Slavehack - protect your IP!
« Reply #3210 on: January 12, 2013, 09:14:36 am »

I had juuuuust got myself all set up, logged out to do something else while my spam slaves made me some cash, came back to find that someone had deleted a few choice programmes. My External HDD only held one of them, and turns out I don't have the patience to go to every site I visited and check the logs for my IP. Oh well.

You got an IP reset up? That's pretty much the best solution, although it might just be a waste if you have a vtrack on you.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3211 on: January 12, 2013, 09:27:29 am »

I tried it in the logs and it doesn't seem to work. It only works in .txt files.

When I had an apostrophe in my logs, I noticed that each time I collected income, for each slave that added an income collection statement to my log, a slash was added after the apostrophe. It could be that the slash is only added when the logs are edited by the game itself, to report events.

That may have been how it worked. Picking up the events and thus showing slashes with no new events listed if someone had cleared them. Been 3 years since I played so I'm fuzzy on the details, but I remember it working to detect intruders and such :)
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: January 12, 2013, 10:36:48 am »

Just started reading this thread from the beginning, when i skipped to this last page i was surprised to find some of the same old players commenting here,  despite the game basically being dead I would like to start playing since there are still active players and i might have some fun starting that whole NPC detective trail thing.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: January 12, 2013, 10:38:29 am »

Just started reading this thread from the beginning, when i skipped to this last page i was surprised to find some of the same old players commenting here,  despite the game basically being dead I would like to start playing since there are still active players and i might have some fun starting that whole NPC detective trail thing.

Well, most of the old players have left but a few of them are still around. We're roughly 10 people playing this now I believe.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: January 12, 2013, 10:44:01 am »

Quick question, when you reset your IP while being connected to another IP, do you log off automatically or do you still stay connected to that IP?

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: January 12, 2013, 10:45:53 am »

Quick question, when you reset your IP while being connected to another IP, do you log off automatically or do you still stay connected to that IP?
I believe it logs you out, can't say for sure though.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: January 12, 2013, 10:54:03 am »

This game is great for its extreme highs and lows. I've been playing all week and its a good sort of game where you can lay low for a while and then start playing again like nothing happened if you're anonymous enough.

And information warfare :)

Once hopped on to someone who was hacking my friends computer, told him I was someone who hacked mine, but he thought I was a different one of his enemies. So in the end I started a three way war while staying anonymous...
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: January 12, 2013, 11:00:21 am »

This old game is still around? Man, I remember playing this back in 2010. Quick question. I faintly remember talk about a reset of this game, did anything come out of that? I took a quick peek at their forums and it said that last update was back in 2009. Has this game been updated or touched at all since 2010? I was thinking of blowing the dust off of my old account (I took a look and all my old software's still there) and playing this again, and I'd like to know if anything's changed.

I suggest you to start from  bottom. I started playing again with a new VPC and it's much more fun.

I was considering that. Climbing up the ladder from total newbdom was my favorite part of this game. I think I will do that.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: January 12, 2013, 01:23:04 pm »

Crap, I have an account number of one of my slave, but it's on the first bank, and I bet I'll be hacked if I do so. And I'm not even sure there's worth enough money in.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: January 12, 2013, 06:19:46 pm »

I believe it logs you out, can't say for sure though.
Eh, it's not important anymore. The guy who deleted me got deleted before I get to him. Karma, I guess.

It sucks I didn't get to extract my long-waited revenge... I waited 2 days for this. If you can't extract revenge from someone who betrayed your trust in this game, what is the point of playing it?

Sarcasm aside, if it was someone from here, thanks!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:10:43 pm by Leatra »

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: January 13, 2013, 04:47:38 am »

I'm not going to seriously play Slavehack when I don't have a free IP reset as a means of getting out of a dangerous situation. I don't want to take any chances. That probably means that I won't do much of anything with Slavehack until maybe this Wednesday I think. I'm at the point where I must wait ninety-six hours between resets.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: January 13, 2013, 04:49:45 am »

Guys, when you revert logs, do you only revert your own changes, and not the changes of others? I'm worried that someone might click on "revert log" and see all my stuff.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: January 13, 2013, 09:30:37 am »

It changes it back to whatever they had left in it, so if you leave a log after them but before they finish clearing then you'll probably have them clear your log for you, but if you log in before them then it's pretty likely they'll leave your log in, and their write will overwrite yours (since it happened after) so your IP will be there for a bit longer (assuming you notice, if not then a lot longer).

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: January 13, 2013, 11:17:35 am »

Wait, you can revert logs to find out IPs? How?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: January 13, 2013, 11:27:31 am »

Wait, you can revert logs to find out IPs? How?
I don't think it's exactly as you are picturing. It can happen a number of ways but I'll only list one.
  • You log into the same server as someone else.
  • They edit the log containing your IP and queue it for later.
  • You edit your IP out of the log.
  • They download a file and clear the logs using the queued process adding back your deleted IP.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 225