Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No embark items challenge?  (Read 2810 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: No embark items challenge?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 09:05:43 pm »

You'll have a hell of a time getting an anvil or pick without trading... I don't think its possible.

You actually can: If you manage to get Axe, you can just cut down some trees and build trade depot.

And you can get an axe fairly easily: Either from ambushers or from migrants, and if very lucky, from dead caravan guard.

In fact, i would prefer axe instead of pick.

No, someone mentioned having 'no trading' as an additional restriction. I said I don't think you CAN get an anvil or pick without trading. You can get axes from invaders.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 10:28:37 pm »

Food would come from wrestling wildlife. Water is the bigger problem; your dwarves would die of dehydration in short order.
I need to figure out how to do this. I don't think it's possible, but there must be SOME way to get water without bringing items on a glacier.
Lure fire imp into ice?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 01:38:38 am »

Food would come from wrestling wildlife. Water is the bigger problem; your dwarves would die of dehydration in short order.
I need to figure out how to do this. I don't think it's possible, but there must be SOME way to get water without bringing items on a glacier.
Lure fire imp into ice?
While the fire imp will melt snow around him, I don't think he's hot enough to melt ice. Now if you could somehow splash magma onto ice by dropping something large into a magma pipe that might get some water, but it would refreeze unless it had magma near it.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 01:43:52 pm »

The fire imp can in fact melt Ice. I had one leave the cap I had mined through, only to sink into the ice and explode into some kind of strange stuff.

Unfortunately, the ice froze to ice immediately afterwards again.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 02:26:09 pm »

Hm, imps explode in water?

I have to test this...

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 02:58:26 pm »

Maybe you could deconstruct the wagon, and have a fire imp burn a log? Would a magma man or fire man explode in water?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 03:08:17 am »

Ah yes, building wealth with engraving. You do not even need mountainside. Even swamp maps have enough boulders/peebles so allow smoothing and engraving quite a lot of surface.

Umm, you can't smooth/engrave pebbles afaik?

Also, there exists a teeny tiny chance to make a anvil of bone as a artifact if you somehow get a workshop.

Build floor tile; deconstruct it; now you can smooth peebles.

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 04:59:25 am »

well, getting your hands on an axe from invaders, dont bother with a forest fire, arm immigrants with bone crossbows, leather armor and some training will probably do the job, especially if you have 20 of them.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 06:36:11 am »

Wait... Could you engrave all the ice on the glacier so that immigrants arrive REALLY early? And then perhaps the immigrants would survive until the caravan comes, and you could buy things you needed?

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 08:40:23 am »

You'll have a hell of a time getting an anvil or pick without trading... I don't think its possible.

You actually can: If you manage to get Axe, you can just cut down some trees and build trade depot.

And you can get an axe fairly easily: Either from ambushers or from migrants, and if very lucky, from dead caravan guard.

In fact, i would prefer axe instead of pick.

No, someone mentioned having 'no trading' as an additional restriction. I said I don't think you CAN get an anvil or pick without trading. You can get axes from invaders.

You let the invaders do your "trading" for you. Most games I don't trade for an anvil, I just go pick it up from the trading caravan that got ambushed by goblins.
Pages: 1 [2]