Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Damn Orks  (Read 2539 times)

nowanmai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Damn Orks
« on: January 23, 2010, 01:55:43 pm »

Hi! First time poster, long time lurker.
Well, I was playing the orcs mod from the mod section.
First got owned in a way that was fixable - i put [can speak] in before the worldgen, so that made 'em come to my fort as traders. At first I was shocked - WTF, an orcish caravan??  ;D Tried to seize all goods they had a couple of times. They didn't go hostile.
Now, today, on my second fort with the mod I genned a world with [can speak] off. And wasn't prepared. Damnit! Now it's lost and gone. Sure I could just reclaim the fort, but that's no fun for me. And, btw, I was kinda prepared, just missed one slope around my mountain and moat and all of sudden, I get a siege. I post my bravest (and only) 6 wrestling champions. And ta-da. They'e dead. Sure, the traps killed most of the orcs, but then came some other messages about olmmen killing a dwarf. Since the moat comes out of a UG river, I didn't already find the threat, but when I found, then all was clear - there is no salvation for the fort. FSCK!  :-[
But it was fun anyway!  ;D

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: Damn Orks
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 08:18:28 pm »

Watch'oo got aginst do Orkzes?

In DF, they are Orcs. Standard, Tolkienesque brown / black Orcs. Not the bright green krumpin' partiers from WHFB / 40K.

Or are they? *Twilight Zone theme*
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:27:24 pm »

Actually they seem a bit more towards the big green warrior brutes of WoW.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 09:50:09 pm »

I thought orcs had [trAPAVOID].
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 10:55:31 pm »

The orcs in dig deeper do.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 11:14:46 pm »

The orcs in dig deeper do.
Oh, poo. I'll have to make fairly complex drowning chambers and labrynths instead of traps now.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 11:59:44 pm »

I get rid of TRAPAVOID. It really makes no sense that the brutish, lumbering powerhouses are lithe enough to evade them.

nowanmai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 01:12:36 am »

"I get rid of TRAPAVOID. It really makes no sense that the brutish, lumbering powerhouses are lithe enough to evade them."
This is what I did as well. To no avail though as stated in the first post.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 01:20:25 am »

For the first few years, or until I get 3 champions with slashing weapons, I just turtle, draw them in, and then shoot them. It's not very much fun, but it's the only way to live.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

nowanmai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 02:44:33 am »

To be honest for than a year that i've been playing DF, i have never used marksdwarves. Not a single time. I just like it that way. Makes it more challanging. But with to orc mod, i'm starting to change my mind. The orcs are just too damn tough to just beat with wrestlers.
And in this last fort the magma metalsmithing operation was just about to start when these bastards came and f*cked the whole thing up.  >:( ;D
Had fun anyway.

Edit:

Damn should've placed it in the facepalm thread I guess.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 03:22:18 am »

I get rid of trapavoid tag on all races. ;D
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 04:31:02 am »

Hmmm...off topic, maybe, but I just had a thought. Someone should totally make an Ork mod for Dwarf Fortress. Not orcs, but Orks. Sentient mushrooms that grow in your map, popping out of the ground to attack your fortress. They go faster when covered in blood, because as we all know, the red onez go fasta.
It would be funny, until they got into your garden. Then it would be hilarious
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

nowanmai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 05:28:09 am »

Hmmm...off topic, maybe, but I just had a thought. Someone should totally make an Ork mod for Dwarf Fortress. Not orcs, but Orks. Sentient mushrooms that grow in your map, popping out of the ground to attack your fortress. They go faster when covered in blood, because as we all know, the red onez go fasta.
It would be funny, until they got into your garden. Then it would be hilarious
Not quite sure what you mean by Orks? And what is has to do with 'shrooms??  ???

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 05:44:11 am »

To sum it up fast:
Ork's are from Warhammer 40k. They're green, mean and every single one of them is a killing machine.

They also spread by spores, which they release when they fight, and when they die. Both of these are rather common states of being for an ork. End result, one ork invasion leads to ensured ork attacks decades later, unless the "breeding grounds" are burned.

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 06:41:33 am »

To sum it up fast:
Ork's are from Warhammer 40k. They're green, mean and every single one of them is a killing machine.

They also spread by spores, which they release when they fight, and when they die. Both of these are rather common states of being for an ork. End result, one ork invasion leads to ensured ork attacks decades later, unless the "breeding grounds" are burned.
More specifically, Games Workshop retcon'ed orks, saying that they not only spread by spores, but are, in fact, giant fungi that walk and talk and crush an' loot.
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
Pages: [1] 2