Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Plans for Custom Workshops  (Read 1594 times)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plans for Custom Workshops
« on: January 20, 2010, 01:25:23 am »

I saw some discussions about custom workshops when they were announced in the dev log (most notably here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=42146.0).  I recently started thinking about them again, and was hoping to create a list of useful custom workshops that could add to the game.  Right now I'm not thinking about magic or other tricky/game changing things, but workshops which would add to the realism that is so often the focus of DF.  I'll present a couple thoughts here (not all strictly mine), and It would be great if others gave their ideas and commented on mine.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here are some raws for custom workshops supplied by Toady:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 09:42:40 am by Zantan »

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
Re: Plans for Custom Workshops
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 02:23:02 am »

I like the magma fountain Idea.The Automaton Workshop idea is pretty good too.
How about a fire workshop.You can build like gas containers, flamethrowers, fire hoops ect.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 07:01:33 am »

I love my magma forges. So I had an idea to create magma extraction facilities which would provide magma bins. These could be used to build magma forges (or another workshop with same capabilities) in a place where there is no magma.

Might even be able to by magma bins from the merchants on maps without magma.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 09:36:44 am »

I love my magma forges. So I had an idea to create magma extraction facilities which would provide magma bins.

That would be useful, though I'm not sure whether that would be very realistic or if the game would support that.  If custom workshops can produce magma, you could make a magma powered workshop that turns several stones and a magma safe box into a magma container, which can be used at another workshop to make some magma.  It would be tough to make caravans offer them in trade...maybe it could be a seedless noncookable plant that only grows on mountains?

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 11:44:27 am »

A furrier (I think that's the term) that takes skins and produces furs, which are functionally equivalent to leather.

A scrap-sorting shop for my scavenger mod, and an assembly line for putting together stuff out of the sorted garbage.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 11:57:22 am »

A scrap-sorting shop for my scavenger mod, and an assembly line for putting together stuff out of the sorted garbage.

Could you elaborate on what the custom workshop would do?

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 12:01:34 pm »

Pottery.  Sedimentary clays could be added to the raws as rocks, which could be used to make ceramics.

They already exist in the raws. Kaolinite (primary ingredient), Microcline (fledspar), Orthoclase (feldspar), Claystone (kind of sorta, but it is a horrible hack) and any of the Quartz stones/gems (including glass). You just need the reactions.

The Reactions go something like this Kaolinite + Fledspar + Quartz + Options
- Earthenware: Claystone (really it should use clay but you can't collect it like sand (yet) so this is the next best thing).
- Stoneware: Claystone (see above) and Fuel (Earthenware is not fired anywhere near the temperatures of Stoneware (it can be made in large fires), so Stoneware uses fuel and Earthenware doesn't, at least that is my take on it).
- Porcelain: omits Claystone and uses fuel.
- Bone Porcelain: Omits Claystone, adds Bone (or bone ash, but that is another reaction and another material you have to add) and uses fuel.

The reactions make stone that does not spawn and has different values (2, 3, 4 and 5) and is used as normal stone (earthenware blocks make brick walls, so it is not unreasonable to think that some noble, government or religion would build a structure out of bone porcelain if they had nothing else to do with the money).

That all said a specific workshop to handle those reactions would be awesome.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 12:14:50 pm »

I want a Blast Furnace and a Refinery.

Blast Furnace: Reactions for making large batches of metals (10+ bars at a time) and for casting low/no quality metal objects out of various metals (sure we can make 100 cast iron boat anchors, a large bronze bell, and a steel anvil).
     The current smelter reactions for making metal are somewhat odd (from a real world metal working point of view) as they are a mixture of bloomery production, molten metal techniques, metals that were not issolated until after 1400 (Toady One's cut off date), metals that melt above the temperature of magma (iron, nickel) and in some cases the reactions go backwards (iron/steel I'm looking at you).

Refinery: There were other methods of extraction that were used in the real world which have been ignored in the game (gold extraction via mercury or cyanide, placer deposit (river/sand/gravel) extraction of heavy metals (iron/gold/silver/copper)) which are not implausible at DF tech levels.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 12:22:49 pm »

It would make sense to make these at the loom, but I don't think we can add tasks to the old buildings.

I thought the old buildings were going to be converted to the new system?

Taxidermy.  I don't know that corpses can be used in custom workshops, but if they can, you should be able to stuff them and place them like statues.

Taxidermy doesn't work like most people think.  The only part of the animal that's used is the skin, everything else is pitched, or cooked and eaten.  The skin is tanned like a fur, but kept as intact as possible with all the limbs and everything (while furs and leather are stretched flat), then glued onto... basically a "statue" of the animal, called a form.  Forms are made of plastic these days and you can even buy them pre-fab in different sizes, but in the olden days, they were hand-carved from wood, IIRC.

Anyway, I'd like to see a "shear animal" task at the farmer's workshop, and I could mod in sheep and cashmere goats.  Sheep have many uses!  :P

Hm.  Even if the vermin-only milking problem is still in the next version, it should hopefully be possible to mod in angora bunnies.  Angora "wool" comes from widdle bunny wabbits.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 12:53:38 pm »

I like the idea of a library and books.  The descriptions of the books could be generated too.
Example:
"The tome of The Eighth Elephant of a Image of a Cheese menaces with spikes of mandrill bone.  The tome relates to the mortal wounding of The Eighth Elephant of a Image of a Cheese by Urist McCheese in the Early Winter of 3 during the umpteenth attempted siege of Boatmurdered by elephants.  A sketch in the borders of several pages depict Urist McCheese in a gallant pose above The Elephant of a Image of a Cheese.  The Elephant of a Image of a Cheese is burning."
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 01:02:55 pm »

The only workshop I care for is the eventual realization of a Star Jelly Dispenser.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 01:20:06 pm »

Pottery.  Sedimentary clays could be added to the raws as rocks, which could be used to make ceramics.

I've thought about that one myself.  A previous poster has already outlined the basics.  I do like the idea of bone porcelain, makes elves useful for more than just practice bolts.

Now optimally, you'd be able to set dwarves to gather clay, just like they gather sand.  However, I don't think that's coming in the next version.  Meanwhile, you can just turn all clays into sand as well, and tell users of your mod that it's an honour system, if your map only has sand, only make glass.  If it only has clay, only make ceramics.

Next:  I'd like to have the pottery workshop just make unfired pottery, which is then hauled to the kiln for firing.  This depends on some wishful thinking on my part though.  Namely, that we can specify in the new reactions, to preserve the quality of one of the reagents in the final product.  That is, masterwork unfired clay mug + kiln = masterwork clay mug.  Also, it relies on being able to add new reactions to the kiln, which is something I'm not sure will be in there.

Having the kiln right in the shop isn't really bad, per se, I just feel bad for the existing kiln.  Being used for nothing but pearl ash must be a boring life ;)

No, Toady has said that most, maybe even all, of the old buildings will remain hard coded.  At least, as of 09/18/2009 that's what he said.  Still unknown is if we can add custom reactions to the hard-coded buildings, or if it will remain limited to just the smelter, plus the new custom workshops.  I'm eager to find out, though  ;D 

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 01:40:52 pm »

I had this idea for a CraftsNightmare workshop series. Basically, 1x1 lil' shops, each with specific reactions to make specific item parts, and then one master workshop to make the item out of its parts. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like reactions are going to be able to handle item qualities...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 02:23:30 pm »

Quote from: Arrkhal
From the dev log on 9/18/2009:
Quote from: Toady
Most or all of the old buildings will have to remain hard-coded for the time being.

Quote from: Arrkhal
Anyway, I'd like to see a "shear animal" task at the farmer's workshop, and I could mod in sheep and cashmere goats.  Sheep have many uses!  :P

That is a good idea.  I don't know how we would restrict shearing to once per year, though.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 02:28:43 pm »

Could you elaborate on what the custom workshop would do?

Currently, my mod contains two new stone layers - 'landfill' and 'debris'.  I have a smelter set up with 'sort landrill' and 'sort debris' reactions that take a unit of the relevant stone and produce items like trinkets for trade, scrap metal, and weapon/armour components.  I'm going to replace this with a custom workshop - maybe a 1x2 one - called a sorting bench for the first step, and an 'assembly line' or such that has reactions to take the components and produce usable gear from them.
Also known as Zuhayr.
Pages: [1] 2