Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d16] Siegers take detour to murder cat  (Read 925 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d16] Siegers take detour to murder cat
« on: January 11, 2010, 02:54:29 am »

Playing with the "Relentless Assault" mod, I get my first lizardman siege and they steadily make a beeline to the open entrance of my fort... until they spot a stray cat, at which point the entire squad of lizardmen charges off after it, wasting some of their ammunition in the process.  Only once it's dead do they resume their siege.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Siegers take detour to murder cat
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 03:01:52 am »

Pretty sure this is intended behavior.  Enemies don't seem to discriminate what their foe is; if it's yours, they want to kill it.  Maybe they do some threat assessment on the side to prevent them from running dumbly towards a tame dragon, but I don't think they take into consideration whether killing X would help their efforts in the siege.

I agree, it does seem rather dumb, enough to break immersion of the game.  I assume there are plans to improve siegers' intelligence (maybe even next version, since sieges are supposed to become more difficult), but I don't really know when that might happen for sure.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Siegers take detour to murder cat
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 05:11:44 am »

That's just how evil they are!  But yeah, it's probably expected behavior, if not intended per se.  They attack any hostiles without discrimination.

I assume there are plans to improve siegers' intelligence (maybe even next version, since sieges are supposed to become more difficult)

The next version won't upgrade sieges in any meaty way.  Sieges may become harder due to the squads/combat overhauls and greater use of war animals, and you'll have to contend with underground invasions of animalmen, but that's about it.  The real siege improvements are one of the three areas Toady will be focusing on after the upcoming release. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 05:15:25 am by Footkerchief »