Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817660 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #330 on: January 13, 2010, 10:07:59 pm »

Hey guys, anyone get a bug when using Cycle Moves in Task Groups?

I wanted a Freighter doing a certain Load/Unload route and used it to do so..
but now he somehow screwed the order list and it gets huge, also gives me an Overflow error.
I don't know what to do X_X
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 13, 2010, 10:19:35 pm »

Yea I just don't use the cycle move orders thing anymore.  I would say best thing to do is just to order the freighter to do the run once a year or something like that.  But I don't have any major mining colonies or anything like that yet.  So it could be easier said than done.

And I think I recall somebody mentioning a bug like that earlier.  If I recall correctly the fix was resetting your theme in vista.

Of course that would probably not be any help in anything but that.  If yer OS has an option for it try changing your window and title bar color settings in control panel manually.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:21:31 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 13, 2010, 10:56:46 pm »

This game's amusing, but I'm on my second save that's died to an odd bug.

Windows XP
Minimizing a window and closing it by right clicking it on the task bar makes it impossible for me to maximize the window after opening it again, for that saved game. It still works fine with other saved games or if I start a new game.

Anyone know a fix?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 14, 2010, 12:43:49 am »

Well I had to destroy a ship to fix the issue.

And still the major problem I'm having here is the 30 day skip turning into 6h skip.
Impossible to play like that ><
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 14, 2010, 01:07:58 am »

Well I had to destroy a ship to fix the issue.

And still the major problem I'm having here is the 30 day skip turning into 6h skip.
Impossible to play like that ><

If your getting the same event every 6h thats likely whats stopping it.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 14, 2010, 01:14:30 am »

Bah.  Been having problems with the laptop since early Decemberish.  I just went and threw it at the Geek Squad again.  The dude I talked to thinks my video card has gone stupid, and when he hooked it up to a different monitor it looked fine, so I left it with them.  They're gonna throw it at some out-of-store repair place, and until then Imma be playing Dom 3 and other stuff.  Fun times.

Dammit.  SO want to play, but the two times I've tried have ended in "system restore" and "graphics card malfunction".  That's encouraging.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 14, 2010, 01:34:36 am »

I know someone said something about this earlier but still no fix.

Anyone know how to disable new officers/more experience from interrupting automated turns?

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #337 on: January 14, 2010, 02:02:48 am »

My first "working" game (I just had setup a mining base on the moon) was lost due to an overflow error. Apparently the task list for my freighter repeated ad infinitum leading to an overflow that kills the PC whenever that task is brought up.... Back to 0 again.
This game has potential, but it needs lots of polishing and more visual interaction. If we could pick task groups by clicking on them at the map it'd make the game MUCH better.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 14, 2010, 02:15:06 am »

I know someone said something about this earlier but still no fix.

Anyone know how to disable new officers/more experience from interrupting automated turns?

I know you can hide any instance of the event by double clicking it in the event list (not the event display, the event list button from the event display), but I don't think this actually stops it from pausing your game.

Edit:
I just got a thermal signature on an outpost planet in a nexus system (8 jump points) that matches a scout ship design from an NPR that I made minor contact with years ago, but the weird/scary thing is that its heading into a system that I previously found to be inhabited by precursors O.o. Did they take them out? Or is one of their scouts about to be devastated?

Update:
Heh... they haven't come back out yet, maybe it was the latter.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:39:14 am by Magnnus »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 14, 2010, 04:09:25 am »

Trying to finish up the let's play post, but anyone know how to manage small fighters yet?

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #340 on: January 14, 2010, 04:12:06 am »

I haven't done much with fighters yet I'm afraid. Has anyone had any experience with designing missiles with an active sensor? I'm curious what sort of benefits it offers... if the missile misses on its first pass does it turn around to try again if it has an onboard scanner, or does it improve initial chances to hit only? I don't see an increase in the chance to hit display when I add one so I'm curious.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 14, 2010, 04:26:10 am »

no idea on that. Took me awhile to figure out I could tweak missiles to ridiculous decimal places to figure out I can get the perfect attributes for the size.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 14, 2010, 04:52:15 am »

I haven't done much with fighters yet I'm afraid. Has anyone had any experience with designing missiles with an active sensor? I'm curious what sort of benefits it offers... if the missile misses on its first pass does it turn around to try again if it has an onboard scanner, or does it improve initial chances to hit only? I don't see an increase in the chance to hit display when I add one so I'm curious.

I know that "missiles" can also be used as sensor buoys, but I'm not sure if the sensors help the actual missile component.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 14, 2010, 06:09:44 am »

So, there's no directions for combat, and now that I'm in combat, what the hell do I do?

EDIT: the interface will let me fire missiles at the jump point but not at the contacts in front of me -___- Oh man assigning everything through combat menu D:

Double Edit: wow must be precursors. That speed is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 06:29:48 am by KaelGotDwarves »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 14, 2010, 07:13:59 am »

active sensors in a missile will let it close on a target
even when it's launcher/missile guidance system is destroyed.
Also usefull when designing submunitions (as for mines, mirv missiles, or as you said recon buoys)

...now if only I figured out how to develop them. :sigh:

Firstcontact I had was ridiculous too. :D
My first thought was 'missiles?',
the second 'fighters?', but at twice my ships' mass that was unlikely. :P
Then I died in one salvo of some sort of beam.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 07:48:34 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 1347