Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1316 1317 [1318] 1319 1320 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814373 times)

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19755 on: May 03, 2020, 10:49:39 am »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19756 on: May 03, 2020, 12:16:23 pm »

1. The 12cm turrets are unnecessary. They have barely more damage and range than the 10cms but cost more tonnage, require more power, and split up your effective and maximum engagement ranges.
2. The fuel efficiency is atrocious, especially given that you've set it up for 4-year tours of duty. That's barely going to make it two jumps away from Sol before needing refueling.

I have the 12 size turrets to mix up the potential missile defense, as I read that layers of defense is best when fighting missiles. And as for the fuel and sensors, I intent to take tankers and sensor ships along with them as a rallying point.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19757 on: May 03, 2020, 01:32:37 pm »

So, going 2 jumps in the opposite direction, I've discovered AX Microscopii. It has a similar situation to Epsilon Indi, except that its Venus-like world appears to be completely uninhabitable due to its 128atm pressure. Oh, but it's near-Earthlike planet has a large trove of minerals, and should take only a few years at most to terraform. I have a number of terraforming platforms in service already and they'll be shipped in once the terraforming projects on Luna and Callisto are done. It also has several gas giant moons that have minerals and are exceptional terraformation candidates, including one that has a "high" ground survey potential. It's a good thing too, Earth is almost depleted.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19758 on: May 03, 2020, 01:35:28 pm »

Most discussions I've seen of layers of defense for fighting missiles are not about "same system, different range" but focus rather on different systems.

For example, a typical layered approach to missile defense would be:
1) Anti-missile missiles at longest range
2) Ship-board lasers in turrets for long range
3) Gauss cannon turrets for short range
4) CAWS for point-defense
5) Armor that can typically stand up to whatever gets through

Basically, your two different lasers are in the same catagory, and not as layered as could be.  I will note the armor is decent to withstand missiles that get through.
I'm no expert in Aurora missile defense doctrine, so I'll let others fill in the details.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19759 on: May 03, 2020, 01:56:39 pm »

I don't see the benefit to having many types of point defense. Lots of research points needed to keep it all up to date. I do however see the benefit of not having everything fire at one of the 4 missile salvos coming at you, massively over-killing them and having to recharge for the others.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19760 on: May 03, 2020, 02:15:34 pm »

I usually stick with lasers or gauss as my beam PD.  Missiles is my usual defense from missiles.  Stick with them on average because that's what I'm going for in most of my games.  Have done meson turrets and a few other things.  It's easy to stick with lasers since they are great for PD and offence.

At low tech I keep my beams set to final defense fire.  Unless my beams can get more than 2 guaranteed shots against my own or known enemy missiles I stick with final deference to ensure max hit chance, and a chance to even get a shot off against all salvos.

I see engaging missiles at a longer range with beams as a way to lose both accuracy and a chance to actually shoot them down.  Just feels like giving into the advantage of missiles (range).  I build my AMMs to have a chance at multiple engagement chances though.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19761 on: May 04, 2020, 12:14:19 pm »

In the darkness, a single electronic eye blinked. A mote of metal, riding on a puff of nuclear flame, had violated the ancient boundaries. Systems that had laid dormant for millennia woke as power flowed into them. Powerful sensors reached out through millions of miles of the void, bringing the tiny ship into crystal-clear focus. An impassive command is called, and in answer two dozen missiles hurtle forth. In a blinding flash of light, the mote is gone.

* Time Passes *

The eye awakens again. Now three motes of metal approach, their course directly for the planet that the eye orbits in its eternal vigil. The ancient structure rumbles as missiles are loaded and fired, a single volley for each mote. Beams of coherent light reach out from the ships, grasping for the missiles that hurtle towards them. One, its programming slightly degraded by the eons of disuse, falls to the crude weapons - the rest do not. Nuclear fire tears into the ships, vaporizing metal and flesh. However, once the explosions have cleared, the motes remain. They are battered things, bleeding oxygen into the void. They turn around, attempting to flee from their fate, limping along at whatever speed their remaining engines can produce. A second volley of missiles is sent, and the ships stop their flight.

* Time Passes *

Six motes now violate the ancient borders. The aether around them boils with protective energy as they speed towards the guardian. Missiles fly out through the void, their sleek forms promising death. Once again, the ships fight back, now with both light and tiny chunks of metal, hurled at great speed. Explosions pock the incoming swarm, and half a dozen are stopped short of their goal. The rest pounce upon their prey, swatting away the protective energies and digging deep into the metal beneath. The first volley fails to stop the intruders, as does the second, and even the third. The fourth, however, finds only broken metal and bodies floating in space.

- This story brought to you by The Empire of Humanity Unchained versus what appears to be a single Precursor outpost. It is not going terribly well for Humanity.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19762 on: May 04, 2020, 12:26:58 pm »

- This story brought to you by The Empire of Humanity Unchained versus what appears to be a single Precursor outpost. It is not going terribly well for Humanity.

Is that an Honorverse reference, or a coincidence?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19763 on: May 04, 2020, 12:32:28 pm »

Honorverse, but only because I like the name - I'm not doing a Grayson / Masada RP or anything.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19764 on: May 04, 2020, 12:57:57 pm »

I figured if you were doing a Grayson RP you'd have "Church" in there somewhere. Just curious, because "Humanity Unchained" is a pretty distinctive turn of phrase.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19765 on: May 04, 2020, 10:53:53 pm »

Victory! We ran them out of missiles!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF3g4Ua5e7k
 :D

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19766 on: May 05, 2020, 05:52:24 am »

Just went on the Aurora forums after a couple months without visiting (also, huzza! C# Aurora is out!), and this passage on the updated terms of service made me chuckle:

There will be no discussion, asking for, promoting, or writing of mods to Aurora VB or Aurora C#.
Steve must have gotten seriously tired of people insisting on the subject time after time.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #19767 on: May 05, 2020, 08:53:14 am »

It became a point of contention in the wider Aurora community. There was even a write up in /r/hobbydrama over it.
But he has 'perently allowed one Mod. The multiplayer mod.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19768 on: May 05, 2020, 09:53:28 am »

It became a point of contention in the wider Aurora community. There was even a write up in /r/hobbydrama over it.
But he has 'perently allowed one Mod. The multiplayer mod.
Multiplayer mod?  :o
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #19769 on: May 05, 2020, 10:01:42 am »

the community keeps pestering the forum just for the decimal comma issues that are widely covered in the forum, imagine the shitfest that he'd get from player running repackaged modded games without knowing better

> multiplayer mod

https://www.reddit.com/r/aurora/comments/g7khec/steveapproved_mod_hey_guys_after_2_days_of_hard/

basically turn based with synchronized db and variable length turns. no idea how wars are handled. if I hadn't a shitload time commitment I'd totally get in a community game to see how it works.

that said, how's the new diplomacy? can you get something silly like a current year earth with the 5 major forces as prewarp empire fighting for the moon?

Pages: 1 ... 1316 1317 [1318] 1319 1320 ... 1347