Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1313 1314 [1315] 1316 1317 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814250 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19710 on: April 29, 2020, 09:01:28 am »

I've had a number of officers retire now, some of whom were assigned to ships. The only ones I have available in the event log were a few successive fleet commanders of my currently only cargo fleet. One retired after another. I don't know if that fleet was doing anything at the time of retirement or not.

I'm also having problems with moving colonists around. Trying to put people on Callisto, which has both infrastructure(enough for 1 million) and orbital habitats(enough for 200k), as well as terraformers, but the colonist transports have no option to unload people anywhere but Earth. And no, it's not that I need LG infrastructure; Callisto is large enough to not need it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19711 on: April 29, 2020, 09:09:47 am »

I'm not certain, but colony ships might need cargo shuttles or a spaceport. SM some shuttles onto your colony ships and see if that fixes it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19712 on: April 29, 2020, 09:33:29 am »

*facepalm*

Yep, that would be the problem. I swear, there should be a warning or reminder in the class designer that if a ship has cargo or cryobays, then you may need a shuttle bay.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19713 on: April 29, 2020, 10:12:18 am »

How does it work with the survey ground units now? Do you have to build them on site, or is there a way to transport them?

I used to enjoy the old way of having teams and being able to have the option where you were required to move teams and officers around in space ships, as opposed to the other option where you could have instantaneous officer movement.
You design your Geo survey a Xenoarcheology teams as ground forces now.  By unit and formation.  Geo survey and Xenoarcheology are gear you need to research and then design a unit equipped with it.  Then design a formation with those units and anything else you feel appropriate.  Build them like any other ground force and then move them with troop transports.

My geo survey and xeno unit usually has 2 surveyors and then some infantry and supply vehicles as guards.  I keep these formations under 1000 weight so they are easier to move around.

EDIT: Also just noticed that my geo survey ships are red in the fleet window. Looking at the reports, their MSP's are 0% and 11%, which is odd because I have a conditional order set to resupply at colony is their supply points get below 20%, and they don't seem to be listening to it. Anyone know what's up?
The resupply standing orders don't work.  The overhaul and refuel do though.  I've begun just setting my survey ships to have a 7-10 year maint life over their 3 year run time.

Known Bugs:http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10637.0
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 10:14:54 am by Shooer »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19714 on: April 29, 2020, 10:15:29 am »

How does it work with the survey ground units now? Do you have to build them on site, or is there a way to transport them?

I used to enjoy the old way of having teams and being able to have the option where you were required to move teams and officers around in space ships, as opposed to the other option where you could have instantaneous officer movement.

Okay so here's the steps for a ground-based survey

1) Design and research a medium vehicle with geosurvey gear instead of a main weapon

2) Set up and construct a ground formation containing some of these units

3) Build a ship with a Troop Transport capacity thats large enough to transport at least one of these survey formations you just made

4) Load those specific formation (s) onto the troop transport and dump them on a planet which has been identified as having geosurvey potential

5) wait. the more survey vehicles the better, but I think its a "chance per year" thing not a "constantly ticking down points" thing

edit: ninja damnit
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19715 on: April 29, 2020, 10:19:40 am »

You also get no information it's doing anything until they are done.  Thankfully you are told what bodies to put them on and can ignore the rest.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19716 on: April 29, 2020, 10:23:31 am »

I've written a working ship engine optimizer with a CLI in python. I cannot guarantee global optimum, but it's greedy and tries to keep the number of engines low. First impressions seem good, accounts for fuel and crew space. Doesn't do rounding, though, would be overkill precision anyway.

Uses brute force, with optimized search space (number of engines and size of engine are the biggest spaces). Search space is still small enough that it should find a solution within a second or two with modern single-threaded core performance.

Pretty sure a MINLP solver would be overkill, anyway.

Now having a GUI with interactive contour maps would be lovely.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19717 on: April 29, 2020, 10:44:58 am »

You design your Geo survey a Xenoarcheology teams as ground forces now.  By unit and formation.  Geo survey and Xenoarcheology are gear you need to research and then design a unit equipped with it.  Then design a formation with those units and anything else you feel appropriate.  Build them like any other ground force and then move them with troop transports.

My geo survey and xeno unit usually has 2 surveyors and then some infantry and supply vehicles as guards.  I keep these formations under 1000 weight so they are easier to move around.

EDIT: Also just noticed that my geo survey ships are red in the fleet window. Looking at the reports, their MSP's are 0% and 11%, which is odd because I have a conditional order set to resupply at colony is their supply points get below 20%, and they don't seem to be listening to it. Anyone know what's up?
The resupply standing orders don't work.  The overhaul and refuel do though.  I've begun just setting my survey ships to have a 7-10 year maint life over their 3 year run time.

Known Bugs:http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10637.0

There was reference to the supply orders (the concept of "supply hub" does not exist in the game, so the reference was removed) without a notation, "supply conditionals do not work" is not in the known bugs thread, and Steve realized that he forgot to write the conditional supply code (and marked it fixed) several versions ago.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19718 on: April 29, 2020, 06:46:57 pm »

Ok need a little more help. I managed to get my fleet to overhaul when their maintenance gets low. They head to Earth and get an [OV] next to their fleet name. I wait and get messaged that their overhaul is complete. And then I get it again. And again. It seems their supply points don't get restored, so am I going to have to manually give orders for resupply to every ship that needs it? Surely there is a way around this.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19719 on: April 29, 2020, 07:59:41 pm »

Dump them in a fleet and give the fleet the resupply order?  Its easier than giving every ship a supply order...

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19720 on: April 29, 2020, 11:51:23 pm »

Ok need a little more help. I managed to get my fleet to overhaul when their maintenance gets low. They head to Earth and get an [OV] next to their fleet name. I wait and get messaged that their overhaul is complete. And then I get it again. And again. It seems their supply points don't get restored, so am I going to have to manually give orders for resupply to every ship that needs it? Surely there is a way around this.

I have had success setting the first conditional order to 'resupply when fuel is less than %50'. I pair that with another order, 'refuel when fuel is less than %50', and my ships will first resupply then refuel. So when it comes time to refuel, the ship resupplies first. This seems to work indefinitely, at least on the msp-heavy style of ships I create, though it's not very efficient.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19721 on: April 30, 2020, 01:04:29 pm »

I have had success setting the first conditional order to 'resupply when fuel is less than %50'. I pair that with another order, 'refuel when fuel is less than %50', and my ships will first resupply then refuel. So when it comes time to refuel, the ship resupplies first. This seems to work indefinitely, at least on the msp-heavy style of ships I create, though it's not very efficient.

Huh. I thought my ships got stuck in the resupply order when I tried this. I need to try this again.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19722 on: April 30, 2020, 04:59:46 pm »

So I guess the resupply conditional is bugged unless the ship is already on a planet?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19723 on: April 30, 2020, 05:28:11 pm »

None of this seems buggy to me. Annoyingly limited sure, but not broken.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19724 on: April 30, 2020, 05:58:18 pm »

None of this seems buggy to me. Annoyingly limited sure, but not broken.

Is it considered a bug when interface options fail to perform the actions they should? It's really a grey space because the UI is sometimes vague as hell. More tooltips (hover-over explanations of vocab or the effects of actions) would do wonders for this games accessibility.

In other news, I managed to deliver a large geosurvey team to Venus, only to realize that it lacked any potential for further discovery of minerals. In my haste to remedy this error, I deleted the Venusian colony. Apparently that prevents the pickup of that ground team, even if I recreate the colony later.

Those poor, poor scientists, roaming aimlessly amongst the toxic, yellow fog until they starve, all because of an error in the bureaucratic process. Oops.
Pages: 1 ... 1313 1314 [1315] 1316 1317 ... 1347