Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1216 1217 [1218] 1219 1220 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810210 times)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18255 on: August 24, 2016, 03:09:48 am »

a. The jump engine has an inherent limit to how many ships it can jump, including the ship it is installed on.
This is true only for squadron jumps, which have a shorter time before the ships jumping through can do things like shoot weapons. I can't remember exactly what the fluff for standard jumps was, but something along the lines of the jump ship making multiple jumps, or just holding the point open longer both make sense.

b. Every ship in the task-group must be of equal or smaller size to the jump engine's specified tonnage.
I believe there is also a thing where it's the smaller of either the size of the jump ship or the rated maximum size. (So just add a bunch of fuel or whatever.)

c. Every ship in the task-group must be military if the jump engine itself is military. Commercial jump engines can jump ten times the tonnage per hull space of jump engine, but are incapable of jumping a task-group containing one or more military ships.
I think this got changed so that it was only that commercial jump drives were 3/4 as efficient as military engines, without the limitation based on engine type (probably happened when the engine redesign happened).

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #18256 on: August 24, 2016, 06:29:44 am »

So I just download 7.10 and I've noticed a serious performance improvement. I know steve was doing some upgrades to the code but I didn't think it'd be so fast I could skip an entire year between alt tabbing without taking my finger off the keys.

EDIT: I also noticed you can overhaul ships and not have to remove their orders or risk receiving a million order cancellations. I don't care about anything else, that's my favorite update in this version.
Correction: Nope, you can't. I guess I just didn't get any cancellations for the first few months of my overhaul.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 06:41:28 am by Azated »
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18257 on: August 24, 2016, 07:08:51 am »

Two things: First, wrong Steve W.  The Steve (White) behind the Starfire novels is not the Steve (Walmsley) behind Aurora.  It's actually a common mistake to make; I've made it myself.  ^_^

Second, if you want to see Weber's treatment of Liberals on his own, take a look at the early Honor Harrington books.  Liberals are caricatured as bleeding-hearts who couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag and spend their time wringing their hands about "man's inhumanity to man" in an ineffectual sort of way.  At the very best, they mean well but are so naive that they'd be constantly taken advantage of if not for the genius "moderates" (themselves libertarian-wing conservatives) and the military, not that they'll ever be thankful for it.  At the worst, they're corrupt and self-serving, taking advantage of people's better natures to enrich themselves and their power base while mouthing generic platitudes.  Both, if left unchecked, are suggested to drive entire nations into the ground, the People's Republic of Haven being a prime example of this in its backstory.  The Conservatives (really authoritarian, corrupt kleptocrats) at least are self-interested allies of circumstance at the beginning; the Liberals are enemies from the get-go.  It really isn't until Eric Flint (a die-hard and unrepentant Trotskyite, which I might suggest bleeds over into the style of his books as well) gets involved in the Honorverse that the Liberals take a sharp swing towards "good."  I wouldn't be surprised to find White helped it along, but I also would find the Lib-Progs of Starfire entirely in keeping with Weber's traditional works that involve politics.
^
The only real contender for Weber's prime soapbox target other than political leftists is the Vatican.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18258 on: August 24, 2016, 08:43:39 am »

The only real contender for Weber's prime soapbox target other than political leftists is the Vatican.
Weber's target audience and Vatican in the same sentence? I would love hearing/reading fanatically religious people's reactions after reading 'Safehold' series.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #18259 on: August 24, 2016, 09:00:40 am »

So, Bay12ers, forumites, and Aurora-players! Lend me your ears!

What is the difference between a commercial and a military jump engine?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18260 on: August 24, 2016, 09:02:28 am »

Weber's target audience and Vatican in the same sentence? I would love hearing/reading fanatically religious people's reactions after reading 'Safehold' series.
Probably something along the lines of "A work of fiction where religion and freedom are set as opposites in conflict? Never heard of that one before." [/sarcasm]
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18261 on: August 24, 2016, 09:12:34 am »

One runs right as rain, the other breaks down every second jump. 
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18262 on: August 24, 2016, 10:36:51 am »

0.01% is going to mean you aren't building anything at all! What's the "political modifier" mean, fellow Aurora experts?
It's a malus based on a colony's Conquered/Occupied/etc. status, plus I think maybe unrest modifiers? Sounds like a colony that's in full revolt with no troops to keep order.

The former is brought to you by Markus-Price Jumpdrives! Remember, you can't spell jump without "you" and "MP"!

Seriously though...commercial drives are ten times smaller than military drives (or to put it another way, the jump capacity of a given drive tonnage is ten times larger for commercial drives) but only work on commercial vessels. Military drives, conversely, only work on military vessels (and by virtue of it being a military-grade component, any ship with a military drive is a military ship).

Commercial drives have no maintenance requirement, while military drives do. And being a fairly significant part of the ship's tonnage, it's one of the more common parts to break if there's a hardware failure.

Which is why it's common to build heavily armored jump tenders and leave jump drives off the bulk of your military vessels. Downside, of course, being that if your squadron's jump tender is destroyed (or the jumpdrive destroyed, at least) the whole squadron is stuck in-system.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18263 on: August 24, 2016, 11:45:51 am »

Slight clarification: Commercial jump drives don't work for ships that use non-Commercial engines.
A military vessel, weapons and all, that uses a commercial engine (power multiplier 0.5 or lower, size 25 or higher) can make use of a commercial jump engine.

Also, military jump drives are not military-grade components themselves, a ship with them can be a commercial vessel (and usually is in my games, typically consisting mostly of 0.5 power engines with some decent-size fuel tanks).

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18264 on: August 24, 2016, 12:30:09 pm »

Well. Guess I'm a fool all around today.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18265 on: August 24, 2016, 02:19:05 pm »

Slight clarification: Commercial jump drives don't work for ships that use non-Commercial engines.
A military vessel, weapons and all, that uses a commercial engine (power multiplier 0.5 or lower, size 25 or higher) can make use of a commercial jump engine.

Also, military jump drives are not military-grade components themselves, a ship with them can be a commercial vessel (and usually is in my games, typically consisting mostly of 0.5 power engines with some decent-size fuel tanks).

Hmm....I've never actually tried either of those scenarios because why would you??

A military ship with bloated, inefficient commercial engines?
A commercial freighter/colony ship with a military jump drive that's going to need constant maintenance and need to be way heavier than it needs to be?

The one scenario I could see it for are troopships -- my troopships are typically commercial designs. But then I'd either build an armored commercial jump tender, or integrated jump drives on the troopships. Or even just tacking on some small defensive weapons or >0.5 power engines and just making it a military vessel.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18266 on: August 24, 2016, 02:29:38 pm »

Hmm....I've never actually tried either of those scenarios because why would you??

A military ship with bloated, inefficient commercial engines?
A commercial freighter/colony ship with a military jump drive that's going to need constant maintenance and need to be way heavier than it needs to be?

The one scenario I could see it for are troopships -- my troopships are typically commercial designs. But then I'd either build an armored commercial jump tender, or integrated jump drives on the troopships. Or even just tacking on some small defensive weapons or >0.5 power engines and just making it a military vessel.

If I recall correctly, and that's a big if, military jump drives can jump both civilian and military engines. It's only civilian jump drives that are blocked from jumping military engines.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18267 on: August 24, 2016, 02:46:38 pm »

So. Got into Aurora, and I'm really getting in to it. I blame you. This is all your fault.  >:(

Jokes aside, it's really fun. It's the first space game like it that's really grabbed me. I love how open to imagination it is, rather like Dwarf Fortress. Hopefully, I'll be well into the swing of things for when the C# version comes out.

Knocked together my first warship recently. The missile cruiser HMS Chips. Only the little problem that I can't load the missiles on-board. I don't know if the magazines are too big or too small, or if the launchers are wrong or if the missiles are the wrong size... All I do know is that I'm tempted to just slap beam weapons on instead, but I also know that I have to confront and learn the missile design system at some point.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18268 on: August 24, 2016, 03:10:29 pm »

Knocked together my first warship recently. The missile cruiser HMS Chips. Only the little problem that I can't load the missiles on-board. I don't know if the magazines are too big or too small, or if the launchers are wrong or if the missiles are the wrong size... All I do know is that I'm tempted to just slap beam weapons on instead, but I also know that I have to confront and learn the missile design system at some point.

Just a theory, but did you designate the missiles to be loaded in the Ordnance/Fighters tab of the Class Design menu?

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18269 on: August 24, 2016, 03:30:26 pm »

Oh.

Ooooh.

I'll test that, stand by.

EDIT: That did the trick, thank you! Got the missiles loaded, and learned to assign them to the launchers properly, by the by. Did a live fire trial at an asteroid, and it seems to be working.

Huh, no wonder. It's one of those things that seems pretty obvious when someone tells you, but I hadn't even thought of that tab. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:37:55 pm by Silverthrone »
Pages: 1 ... 1216 1217 [1218] 1219 1220 ... 1347