Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811506 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17490 on: January 28, 2016, 08:29:38 pm »

Because Mars has just about no mineral content and Venus has tons of minerals. I could just build automated mines, but where's the fun in that?
I mean, I slightly regret it now that the current 5m population of Venus is still all working in staying alive and not terraforming, but I WILL COLONIZE VENUS, DAMNIT.

EDIT: Also, is there any way to test combat capabilities of ships/PDCs? I'd assume spacemaster shenanigans to make a pacifist NPR then spawning them a ship nearby, but I have no idea how to/if I can do that.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 08:32:40 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17491 on: January 28, 2016, 08:43:18 pm »

How does missile damage distribute when it hits a ship's armor? I know it's sort of like a pyramid inwards, but I don't remember the width and depth of an explosion.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17492 on: January 28, 2016, 09:25:16 pm »

if my understanding how things work the lower your political stability modifier is the less work you would be getting out of people on the affected colony. what I would do is send some ground forces over to police the situation if you can or build some AMM PDC's that are only a few sections so they can be belted out quickly unless it is better to build huge pdc that has 40 + sections to it (guilty....)

from my understanding missles behave like the following
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and the pattern repeats thus making square warhead strengths being the best bang for the buck so to speak

-----------------------------------------------

is this over kill?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:14:20 pm by Dramegno »
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17493 on: January 28, 2016, 10:27:22 pm »

I don't bother with having engines on my orbital platforms, and instead build a single tug to carry it around with. If you build a tug with the same amount of engines and fuel capacity, you only build it once. But if you have multiple platforms, you build it multiple times, wasting resources. Even with that behemoth it is going to take at least 7 years to terraform a planet on its own, so its not like it will need to get anywhere in a hurry, and at that speed it won't be outrunning any enemies.
Additionally, if you are going to put that many resources into a single platform, you should invest in some protection. At least a few layers of armor, and maybe 50 or 80 CIWSs. If just a few missiles get through you are going to leave the game for a few months.
Finally, something like that should have a more befitting name. Like World Eater, God, or "Fuck you your planet is now Chlorine".
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17494 on: January 28, 2016, 10:51:42 pm »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17495 on: January 28, 2016, 11:09:23 pm »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
Your goal now is to find (or make) a new 0.0 planet, so it can be immediately colonized up into the millions.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17496 on: January 29, 2016, 04:37:18 am »

Hah, colony ships, that is a hoot. For me it is Sorium Harvesters. Oh, I have more colony ships than harvesters, it is not completely crazy, but every time I invest I see a little cluster parasites scuttling off to my gas giants...

And for your mood issues, I would just build some emergency missile P.D.C.s. Don't bother arming them. Your people just need to look up and see their natural resources being dumped into an endless forest of great prongs jutting into the air to know that they are under the best possible care. Honestly, I do not entirely understand why sharing their environment with a large stockpile of nuclear ordnance deployment facilities makes people happy, but meh, why sweat the little things?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17497 on: January 29, 2016, 08:29:31 am »

Nope. Got plenty of people on the moon. In fact, they built their own shipyards. I'm spamming all kinds of installations just to try and exploit the massive manpower pool in the manufacturing sector.

Spoiler: See for yourself (click to show/hide)

Now, I DO have a debuff to my political stability modifier, which I'm not really sure why. I have troops there, so they SHOULD be countering any unrest increases despite my lack of protection. (I was planning on building a fleet once I got the next laser tech, which was a few years off at the time, but now only a few months away.)

Your political stability is dropping because you aren't meeting the level of protection your population wants. I suggest sending ground troops and building PDCs as soon as possible.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17498 on: January 29, 2016, 08:53:01 am »

29 years from start I'm still mostly within Sol system. Theres a single 2-million people's colony 2 jumps away on a very, very mineral rich, colony cost 2 world. I have found and more or less surveyed a dozen systems so far, but found mostly completely uninhabitable worlds and some mysterious shipwrecks on the surface of a planet...

I've built a 15-ship fleet of 4000 km laser ships(magneto plasma and ultraviolet techs) with a combined tonnage of about 100,000, accompanied by some dedicated very sensor heavy scouts, some years ago. I've abandoned the early "bit this and a bit of that" strategy and am now focusing on expanding economy and research as fast as possible while colonizing and terraforming Mars.

For the 2nd cycle of Navy building I want to include some kind of a missile ship, too. Those should perhaps be an AMM vessels, as I guess going half-beam half-ASM just ends in no ASMs getting through and beams never reaching range alive.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17499 on: January 29, 2016, 10:28:21 am »

I think I have enough research done up to start designing a fast PD ship that may or may not also have a plasma cannonade on it though. I am thinking a layered pd system is the best for my military doctrine since their will be allot of knife fights involved. any tips on how I can effectively do this with a combination of beams and AMMs?
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17500 on: January 29, 2016, 11:02:59 am »

Because Mars has just about no mineral content and Venus has tons of minerals. I could just build automated mines, but where's the fun in that?
I mean, I slightly regret it now that the current 5m population of Venus is still all working in staying alive and not terraforming, but I WILL COLONIZE VENUS, DAMNIT.

EDIT: Also, is there any way to test combat capabilities of ships/PDCs? I'd assume spacemaster shenanigans to make a pacifist NPR then spawning them a ship nearby, but I have no idea how to/if I can do that.

I did this too. Tip: invest in colony cost, then have earth fab a few dozen-platform terraforming stations.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17501 on: January 29, 2016, 11:10:55 am »

Oh, and for missile penetration, multiply the depth of penetration by itself to get the required damage value. Penetrating to a depths of 2 requires 2*2=4 damage a depth of 5 is 5*5=25 damage required, a depth of 1 is 1*1=1 damage. And if you want to make wider holes with the same penetration, then add the value of the penetration: 5*5=25 damage will have penetrate to a depth of five but only knock out a single block of armour at a depth of five, if you add five for 5*5+5=30 damage then it will knock out two blocks of armour at a penetration of five(along with four blocks at four, six blocks at three, eight blocks at two, and ten blocks at one(2+4+6+8+10=30). Gouging larger holes in armour is not terrible, so consider adding 2, 6, 12, 20, 30, 42, 56, and 72 as 'okay' values in addition to the 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64, 81 'good' values.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17502 on: January 29, 2016, 11:35:30 am »

Here is my next gen missile design give me your feed back

now before I lock in these missles I just noticed that since I researched these engines that I have researched .3 liters fuel consumption tech and these were done at .5 liters so their end range should be a little longer or I might re-balance some fuel and agility to improve their speed/to hit.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #17503 on: January 29, 2016, 11:38:44 am »

Yeah, having that extra bit at the tip of a missile warhead radius is good if you can afford it. Would also mean another point of damage getting through if it barely penetrates their armor. So if they have 4 layers thick armor and you've got a 25 point warhead, it's going to push 1 damage through and leave a 3 wide hole in armor. If its a 30 point warhead it's going to push 2 damage through and leave a 4 wide hole. So you've got double the damage getting through the armor assuming you hit an undamaged spot.

And if they're armored enough that you need multiple hits to penetrate anyway, every point counts because you're going to have to strip away a lot of armor to crack it. Even if it's just going from 25 to 26, if you have the extra space and it wouldn't significantly affect your range or accuracy go for it - it won't affect anything on the first hit, but consecutive hits it might just expand the width of the missile damage pattern the extra tile needed to hit a weak spot. Especially if you're combining missiles with beam weapons, as beams leave a lot of pointy holes through their armor.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17504 on: January 29, 2016, 11:41:58 am »

Is that a copy-paste error or do the ASMs really have a 1 billion kilometer range? Because that's excessive even for high-tech missiles unless you're doing shenanigans with relayed spotting intel and stealth. You'd be much better served trimming that down to ~400m km and making them fast/agile enough to actually hit things--you're still going to miss >75% of your shots against a large chunk of potential targets on your own, never mind what PD fire will do.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 ... 1347