Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1098 1099 [1100] 1101 1102 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810366 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16485 on: September 14, 2015, 07:34:31 pm »

I've just started my first AI multi empire earth start, we'll see how it turns out.
Modelled after Steve's ancient nemesis campaign, 6 empires, I'll be controlling UN aligned states with 500 mil pop, 120k research points, 20 labs and 4 shipyards.
Other nations will be similar or slightly less/ more powerful;
Russia: 200 million pop, 90k RP, 15 labs 3 SY,
China: 1000 mil pop, 120k RP, 15 labs 4 SY,
United States of the Americas: 500 million pop, 120k RP, 20 labs 4 SY,
Hindustani Republic: 900 million pop, 90k RP, 15 labs 3 SY.
Islamic state: 600 million pop, 60k RP, 10 labs, 2 SY.
Solar warming will be turned on making earth quickly uninhabitable, the goal is to evacuate earth by 2050.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #16486 on: September 14, 2015, 08:34:56 pm »

I've just started my first AI multi empire earth start, we'll see how it turns out.
Modelled after Steve's ancient nemesis campaign, 6 empires, I'll be controlling UN aligned states with 500 mil pop, 120k research points, 20 labs and 4 shipyards.
Other nations will be similar or slightly less/ more powerful;
Russia: 200 million pop, 90k RP, 15 labs 3 SY,
China: 1000 mil pop, 120k RP, 15 labs 4 SY,
United States of the Americas: 500 million pop, 120k RP, 20 labs 4 SY,
Hindustani Republic: 900 million pop, 90k RP, 15 labs 3 SY.
Islamic state: 600 million pop, 60k RP, 10 labs, 2 SY.
Solar warming will be turned on making earth quickly uninhabitable, the goal is to evacuate earth by 2050.
I wonder, is it more reasonable to set up a terraforming and infrastructure production operation instead or can neither keep up with increasing temperatures?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16487 on: September 14, 2015, 08:40:04 pm »

The goal is to get off earth before the inevitable nuclear fireball which will happen long before the sun changes significantly.
However since there will be warming at first mars is a pretty safe haven depending on how much remains of the NPRs offensive capacity.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16488 on: September 14, 2015, 08:48:59 pm »

There's also a maximum greenhouse factor of 3, but there is no lower bound to the influence of anti-greenhouse gasses.  A quick search of the forums (since I myself couldn't remember which way it went) revealed that it is (or at least was) theoretically possible to push planetary temperatures below -273°C, in much the same way the old hyper drives and tractor-chains could be abused to drive ships faster than c.  Theoretically, sufficiently powerful terraforming infrastructure (almost certainly via megaships; factories won't keep up) won't help at all against the cooling disaster, but they should be able to maintain the temperature against the heating disaster up until you exceed the livable atmospheric pressure limits.  Now, whether that's an economic use of resources rather relies on the presence or absence of other colonizable worlds nearby. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:51:51 pm by Culise »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #16489 on: September 15, 2015, 02:01:52 am »

Has Steve ever explained why NPRs need to slow down game time when they interact?

Because these NPR interactions are treated just like interactions with the PR. Everything is simulated to the nth degree. So if two NPRs detect one another, time needs to slow down to accommodate any potential conflicts that might arise from their meeting.

The good news is that the next update scheduled will include an optional setting at game startup to limit these detections

I get that. Though my understand holds that there isn't a different abstraction of simulation happening when you speeding through time. Its still the nth degree of simulation happening, the player slows it down to interact with the simulation.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16490 on: September 15, 2015, 02:49:26 am »

no, when you're "speeding through time" it's only doing the simulation a handful of times. when combat is happening it's doing it more often. it's how many seconds in T each sim tick.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16491 on: September 15, 2015, 03:39:25 pm »

Does the "solar warming/cooling" thing even work? I've tried it before in campaigns and saw no effect whatsoever.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16492 on: September 15, 2015, 04:06:38 pm »

It was nonfunctional at some point. Don't remember if Steve ever fixed it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16493 on: September 15, 2015, 05:37:31 pm »

I don't know, but nuclear winter is coming anyway so it doesn't really matter.
Oh the joy of 2 minutes to process each 5 second turn, it looks like I'll be having sensors in sol off for most of this game, maybe I'll turn them on for a bit every year just to let the AI get their aggression out.
Edit: I'm now 6 months into the game, each 5 day increment takes around 5 minutes to process, and sol is swarming with scary looking NPR ships. Also in reply to some earlier comments:
There's been a peace timer in the game for quite awhile now.

Which I believe is broken in its own way.  Last I heard, the timer never stopped, so it lasts forever.  Fixed?
The timer on my game window is definitely ticking down, I don't know what will happen when it hits 0 though.
Does the "solar warming/cooling" thing even work? I've tried it before in campaigns and saw no effect whatsoever.
I just checked the environmental window, it's now July 8th of year one (2025), earth has gone from 14 degrees to 14.37, mars has changed from -48 to -47.71 degrees
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 12:54:59 am by MarcAFK »

JOKER_G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16494 on: October 05, 2015, 11:05:13 pm »

Vega rescue mission:
First contact ended in bloody mess. Alien FACs fired at my unarmed science vessel, luckily it's somehow armored and almost get to jump note, then got a hole at fuel tank. Alien lost interest at this sitting duck, so a rescue mission is on schedule. I don't have AA ship at that time, so I sent another science vessel in, sensor off.

End in another bloody mess. 3 crusiers showed up and blast the sitting duck into pieces, force the rescue ship to retreat.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:38:23 pm by JOKER_G »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16495 on: October 06, 2015, 04:02:17 am »

Update. Stable wormhole 2 jumps from sol, chinese gate builders spamming every system.
We're colonising 2 systems one jump from WH aliens, but haven't discovered any live aliens yet.
This can only end well.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16496 on: October 06, 2015, 10:17:40 am »

is this game still as ridiculously obtuse as i remember from years ago?

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16497 on: October 06, 2015, 11:14:28 am »

Why do people say that ??
Aurora is waaaaaaaaaay easier to learn than Dwarf Fortress.
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #16498 on: October 06, 2015, 12:29:33 pm »

No it isn't. DF main problem with its learning curve, is the user interface. Then its second biggest issue, even though its befirt with information, it doesnt provide the right information to know why things aren't happening. (Like how booze production can stop if there isnt enough barrels) Everything else is a series of very discrete simple systems. Once you get a handle on the UI, then making a fort is pretty easy.

However Aurora uses a lot of very general use systems that are very complex, which allow for very wide variety of things which I love. But designing laser systems with with the right fire control, with the right power plant is hard. Having to micro manage missile production, is hard and depending on the size of your empire, overwhelming.  I mean, technically civilian shipping is suppose take care of all the shipping needs for your empire, but they're still lack luster at that, so you're still better off manually directing cargo ships to do it for you.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 04:59:51 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16499 on: October 06, 2015, 12:55:19 pm »

The answer will always be yes, and I hope it never changes.
Pages: 1 ... 1098 1099 [1100] 1101 1102 ... 1347