Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1091 1092 [1093] 1094 1095 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810571 times)

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16380 on: July 31, 2015, 06:07:56 pm »

Unfortunately physics just proved recently (2003?) that gravity doesn't work faster than light which a lot of HH plot works around (and maybe the starfire books?).
Pity... I hate it when science gets in the way of a good plot. 

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16381 on: July 31, 2015, 07:21:47 pm »

When it comes to Aurora, I've mostly lurked while looking at other people's posts. I've done this on and off, casually, for a couple of years now. Only, as recently as a couple of months ago, I read about ten of the Honor Harrington books. Now, coming back to Aurora, I recognize some similar technology names floating around.

Does anyone know if Honor Harrington was a bit of an influence on this game?
The primary influence was the starfire books, which are very similar
*Bzzt!*

Actually, if I'm recalling correctly, the program that became Aurora was originally developed to act as a data-tracking aid for the Starfire wargame, which is also what Weber based those novels off of. The HH similarities are coincidental and probably exist because Weber only knows how to write Starfire space opera and Thirty Years War-level musket-and-cannon dramas.

For reference, On Basilisk Station was published in spring of '93, while Insurrection was published in '90 and Crusade in '92. Incidentally, I suspect that Crusade is where Weber picked up his fetish for the Catholic Church expies run by evil masterminds deceiving honest people, given that its version of that motif was less refined and came before all the others.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 02:16:03 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #16382 on: July 31, 2015, 07:22:35 pm »

What is Starfire? I never been able to figure it out.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16383 on: July 31, 2015, 07:25:53 pm »

It's a tabletop wargame. Basically the same concept as Aurora, except that as I understand it it has a much heavier focus on the tactical combat and strategic planning as opposed to empire-management.

3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16384 on: August 01, 2015, 02:12:22 am »

So that's why savegames are databases...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16385 on: August 01, 2015, 07:28:00 am »

Unfortunately physics just proved recently (2003?) that gravity doesn't work faster than light which a lot of HH plot works around (and maybe the starfire books?).
Pity... I hate it when science gets in the way of a good plot.

Weber immediately wrote in a retcon that fixes the problem - instead of simply propagating faster than light, the massive gravitational signatures (and I do mean massive, an impeller drive is basically a controlled black hole) that make Honorverse FTL sensors and FTL radio work put pressure on hyperspace that can be detected. It's seamless enough that you would take it as just another Weber infodump if you don't know that's what he's doing. It's nowhere near as blatant as the Great Resizing.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16386 on: August 01, 2015, 07:31:32 am »

The Great Resizing?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16387 on: August 01, 2015, 07:54:21 am »

The Great Resizing?

Weber almost always refers to ships only in terms of their mass, saying, for example, that a given class of pod superdreadnought masses 12 million tons. He did, however, give lengths to a lot of them in throwaway lines of dialogue and illustrations. Problem was, he didn't do the math for these unimportant bits, and when people working on Saganami Island Tactical Simulator (the ship-combat boardgame set in the universe) did, they realized that with those dimensions most of the ships had a density similar to that of clouds. So he had to completely resize every ship to match existing mass in all later works (and reprints of the earlier ones), which is very noticeable if you have the older books.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16388 on: August 01, 2015, 10:54:39 pm »

Does anyone know whether you can pre-build components to speed production for fighters the way you do for ships? 

kingofthescots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16389 on: August 02, 2015, 07:14:04 am »

Does anyone know whether you can pre-build components to speed production for fighters the way you do for ships?

I don't think so, as fighters aren't built the same way as ships are. They're manufactured at a specific factory in one go. The only way to speed up construction is to build more fighter production facilities.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16390 on: August 02, 2015, 03:50:09 pm »

And research the tech to speed up fighter production of course.

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16391 on: August 11, 2015, 05:45:52 am »

Say, how do you get a task force to do fleet training?

The wiki says it's a command on the Task Group screen, but I can't find it anywhere.

Also, what do you guys think of an anti-missile area defense ship that uses lots of 1/10 size Gauss cannons?  They're horribly innacurate, but at my current Gauss tech each one will be outputting one shot per second (five in a five-second tick), which is 9x5= 45 shots fired per 5-second tick for the 3,000 ton ship I've built that uses them.  The actual damage of the shots is unimpeded, so only one of the 45 shots actually has to hit a missile to destroy it (unless the missile is armoured).  Of course, the shots are 10x less accurate than they would be if they were fired from 4.5 normal-sized Gauss Cannons, but you get the same average to-hit-ratio, and as I said- all that matters is that ONE of those shots hits per incoming missiles in a salvo, not a significant proportion of them.  The only downside to using the minituarised cannons, as far as I can see, is that they each count as a component- so they each add extra armour colums on to your ships, meaning they're less efficient than bigger cannons, displacement-wise.

Still, I love the idea of what is essentially a flying space-ship mounted area defense shotgun.

You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16392 on: August 11, 2015, 05:56:01 am »

Extra armour columns only depend on mass. As for Task Force Training, its in one of the tab of the task group, window, the one with the default orders.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16393 on: August 11, 2015, 12:44:03 pm »

Some people swear by the scattergun approach to Gauss weapons, I don't; it's mostly a matter of preference.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16394 on: August 11, 2015, 12:55:32 pm »

I always end up using lasers for PD because they make a decent energy weapon at close range.

Pages: 1 ... 1091 1092 [1093] 1094 1095 ... 1347