Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1089 1090 [1091] 1092 1093 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810647 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16350 on: July 24, 2015, 12:41:00 pm »

Actually, they will take more fuel to move assuming your retain all other components as the stealth drive tends to be really heavy in of itself.
That checks out. The mass has less gravitational effect, but it's still there. It's not about adding the drive, it's about turning the drive on.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16351 on: July 24, 2015, 07:24:34 pm »

Finding the game a little inscrutable but I figure I'll be playing by tomorrow.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16352 on: July 25, 2015, 12:20:30 am »

Pulsar4x has been mentioned in here before (a fan rewrite of Aurora).

I'm one of the devs working on it.

We're currently desperate to find a UI programer who's comfortable in WPF.
(but hell, if you think you can write a cross platform UI in something else, and you're dedicated enough to stick with it we'd love to hear from you too)

We've been re-writing the core engine side of things with an emphasis on maintainability (the current Pulsar4x code is getting less so as features get added) as well as speed (threading), future MP support, and generally how different bits of the program talk to other bits. Unfortunately It's meant we've had to look at re-writing the existing ui from scratch.
The system gen for example has been completely re-written and is several orders of magnitude faster than the old, and that's gotten back ported to the master branch.

but yeah, as I said, we're desperate for some help with the UI, though any help would be of use.
Talk to us either in the Aurora forums: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/board,169.0.html
or on IRC freenode #Pulsar4x

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16353 on: July 26, 2015, 01:02:47 pm »

My fleet headquarters CO just retired, and the leaders screen said I needed a R4 for a replacement - but I didn't have one. I have realistic promotions on, so I made a medal and gave it to one of my R3s.  They were promoted to R4, but now the leader screen says I need an R5 for CO! Anyone know what's going on?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16354 on: July 26, 2015, 01:31:47 pm »

Just an idle thought, but was the one you promoted already a staff officer in the HQ? There's likely a requirement that the CO be of superior rank to all the other staff officers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16355 on: July 26, 2015, 02:49:07 pm »

Maybe I'm an asshat but my view's being obstructed by a mass of comets and I can't figure out how to stop displaying them.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16356 on: July 26, 2015, 03:31:50 pm »

Just an idle thought, but was the one you promoted already a staff officer in the HQ? There's likely a requirement that the CO be of superior rank to all the other staff officers.

That was it, thanks!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16357 on: July 26, 2015, 03:54:09 pm »

That was it, thanks!
Any time! :))

3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16358 on: July 26, 2015, 04:00:24 pm »

How far in Pulsar in terms of development?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16359 on: July 26, 2015, 05:39:48 pm »

How far in Pulsar in terms of development?
There's nothing *playable* yet, but:

The ECS branches core engine is mostly done,
It uses an Data Driven Entity Component System which should make adding game logic far easier than it was in the Main branch, which was becoming a problem as time went on.
It handles threading so as well as being orders of magnitude faster than Aurora (and even the Main Branch of Pulsar) from the start, it'll be able to handle processing multiple star systems and other logic at once.
It can load and save gamedata and savegames (...once we actually have games to save, the data is pretty much all the same).
It can create Systems (suns, planets, asteroids etc and give them atmospheres)
The way the engine talks to the gui has been mostly sorted, this ended up being a bit of a headache as we wanted to make sure we were not shooting ourselves in the foot when it came to adding multiplayer support.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #16360 on: July 26, 2015, 05:56:52 pm »

Question, I have dabbled a bit with Entity Component System stuff and read some things and I would like to now how you feel it works with something as database driven as this probably is. I have read in articles that some people see it as the best way now to develop stuff that uses a database as the way it works is closer then the previous object oriented designs. While I feel this should be true I haven't gotten far enough with such a system to really get a feel for it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16361 on: July 26, 2015, 06:07:20 pm »

You'd probably be better off Asking Snopy or Rod in either the forum or in the IRC chan. I'm pretty much just a code monkey, they understand the specifics of how it works far better than I do (and can articulate it better).
From working with it in this project, vs other OO projects I'm definitely a convert though. 

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16362 on: July 26, 2015, 07:05:02 pm »

Maybe I'm an asshat but my view's being obstructed by a mass of comets and I can't figure out how to stop displaying them.
There's some checkbox options off to the left to toggle the display of basically every object.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16363 on: July 26, 2015, 07:14:47 pm »

There's some checkbox options off to the left to toggle the display of basically every object.
I've toggled the balls out of them, I can't find the one that does comets. There's planets, jump points , dwarf planets, asteroids etc. but the "fuck off comets" button eludes me. 

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16364 on: July 26, 2015, 07:21:40 pm »

I'm actually not sure if you can turn the comets themselves off, just their orbital paths.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1089 1090 [1091] 1092 1093 ... 1347