Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 886 887 [888] 889 890 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814851 times)

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13305 on: March 08, 2013, 04:20:18 pm »

Hm, browsing a few other threads and found distant worlds-- dear lord, it's practically aurora with a GUI.

Then again, I still love aurora-- just realized it reminds me of some old submarine sims I used to play.
Also had some fan-freakin-tastic luck with mines lately. They've saved my ass more times than I can count-- and Microwave-beam frigates/FACs really screw with enemies.

Nothing quite like blinding thy enemy into submission only for them to follow your battlegroup right into a minefield.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13306 on: March 08, 2013, 04:47:02 pm »

Hm, browsing a few other threads and found distant worlds-- dear lord, it's practically aurora with a GUI.
Now only if they could start using a reasonable distribution service.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13307 on: March 11, 2013, 12:25:23 pm »

Is there a guide anywhere to making your own solar system with your own race?
Quick and Dirty guide:

1. Start a game in SM Empire mode.
2. Turn Spacemaster on.
3. Go to System Details and generate a system.
4. Does it have either a Nitrogen-Oxygen world with no contaminants, or a Methane world with no contaminants?
5a. If not, gen up another system.
5b. If so, do you like the look of the system? If not, see 5a. If so, go to 6.
6. Select that world and click HW Minerals. This ensures the planet will have sufficient reserves of everything, otherwise you could be screwed in getting off the planet.
7. Click Create Empire.

More generally, I find that if you're doing an Oxygen race, you might actually be better off choosing on with somewhat lower gravity and temperature than Earth, because the majority of N-O worlds you're liable to run into are going to be snowballs of around -20 to -50 C and maybe 0.7G gravity. Especially in a Real Stars setting, where you get LOTS of red dwarfs which are hard pressed to give you worlds warm enough for bog standard humans. Non-Real Stars, you get a lot more A, B and even O stars which can have higher temps.

If you go Methane breathers, you're almost locked into having a temp range below -100C. Gravity can be highly variable, as you can get cold Methane worlds ranging from tiny moons to large worlds in the outer orbits of systems.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:39:28 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13308 on: March 18, 2013, 09:17:25 am »

Guys, I have a problem. I recently got the newest update to Aurora, and the windows don't work now. When I resize them it merely expands the tables and such and does not show the bottom. Yes I followed the advice in Flying Dice's sig, and it won't work. Any ideas?
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13309 on: March 18, 2013, 10:03:01 am »

Guys, I have a problem. I recently got the newest update to Aurora, and the windows don't work now. When I resize them it merely expands the tables and such and does not show the bottom. Yes I followed the advice in Flying Dice's sig, and it won't work. Any ideas?
Use the older version that worked for you?

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13310 on: March 18, 2013, 10:46:57 am »

That's not a solution.

What version of Windows are you using?
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13311 on: March 18, 2013, 11:09:41 am »

It is a solution if the objective is to play the game.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13312 on: March 18, 2013, 12:21:15 pm »

Well that took a while. I probably would have finished rereading the entire thread if I had actually read every night but whatever. Anyway I have some questions about somethings that have changed since I last played oh so long ago.
   First is about commercial engines, basically I notice that they have a couple requirements and one is size. Is there a way to reduce the size needed to make something count as commercial because its a little big for some of the applications I would use such engines for.
   Second is about Geo Survey teams or more to the point how do you use them now? I read the thread so I know technically how they work but I have yet been able to actually use them and have them find anything. I know not to use them on a planet which you haven't mined some yet but besides that what should I look for before plonking down a team. I have waited till minerals are almost depleted, everything but one depleted, everything depleted, and various other combinations of this.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13313 on: March 18, 2013, 12:28:23 pm »

Well that took a while. I probably would have finished rereading the entire thread if I had actually read every night but whatever. Anyway I have some questions about somethings that have changed since I last played oh so long ago.
   First is about commercial engines, basically I notice that they have a couple requirements and one is size. Is there a way to reduce the size needed to make something count as commercial because its a little big for some of the applications I would use such engines for.

As of v6, engines can be varied in size, but a Commercial Engine is required to be at least 25HS. Commercial ships are almost invariably huge though, so unless you've got a very specific build in mind it shouldn't be that much of an inconvenience; also, bigger engines have better fuel efficiency, which helps.

Second is about Geo Survey teams or more to the point how do you use them now? I read the thread so I know technically how they work but I have yet been able to actually use them and have them find anything. I know not to use them on a planet which you haven't mined some yet but besides that what should I look for before plonking down a team. I have waited till minerals are almost depleted, everything but one depleted, everything depleted, and various other combinations of this.

I believe (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that it's now better to use Geosurvey teams once a body is depleted/nearly depleted of minerals, as they can now only find minerals once; when the survey completes, they will either find minerals or not (if successful, it rerolls the minerals for the body, and will overwrite the amount or accessibility - only if the new is better - if there's an existing deposit).

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13314 on: March 18, 2013, 12:44:46 pm »

As of v6, engines can be varied in size, but a Commercial Engine is required to be at least 25HS. Commercial ships are almost invariably huge though, so unless you've got a very specific build in mind it shouldn't be that much of an inconvenience; also, bigger engines have better fuel efficiency, which helps.
   Oh well, I guess is fair for commercial engines to be limited. This will mean my first survey vessels will never last long. I have come to love the ability to make the cutest little survey vessels all under 500tons and thus applicable to being made with fighter facilities. I use them to quickly and cheaply survey the sol system and if I could have made the geo ones commercial I would have always used them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 12:48:53 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13315 on: March 18, 2013, 02:42:58 pm »

I believe (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that it's now better to use Geosurvey teams once a body is depleted/nearly depleted of minerals, as they can now only find minerals once; when the survey completes, they will either find minerals or not (if successful, it rerolls the minerals for the body, and will overwrite the amount or accessibility - only if the new is better - if there's an existing deposit).

Not quite. After a period of time dependant on the size of the body(smaller is faster) the survey completes. At this point a roll is made separately for each mineral at about 1/3rd the chance that is used when generating minerals normally. If this check is successful, it generates a quantity and accessibility in the same fashion as if the mineral was found during the initial ship survey. These minerals and accessibility are only applied if they are better than the current values for that mineral, hence it is entirely possible for a mineral to be found by the survey team but not actually give you anything due to generating below the current values. Note that the amount and accessibility are applied separately so it is possible for a survey to improve just one of them.

Due to this, it normally makes the best sense to only survey bodies that came up with no/very few minerals or wait for a body to be mined out before surveying. It can be worth doing a survey on a planet that generated large quantities of minerals at very low accessibility in order for the chance to improve that and make the planet worthwhile for mining.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13316 on: March 18, 2013, 02:57:48 pm »

So given a body with a couple minerals at decent levels I should wait till they have been fully mined out for the best results? Also what about things like the clusters of mineraless asteroids that end up having nothing, if I have the time and resources would I find stuff when I send teams to them or are they worthless.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13317 on: March 18, 2013, 08:38:48 pm »

You may find stuff there and asteroids are fairly quick to survey, however note that asteroids have a fairly low soft cap on the amount of minerals present, so whether it is worthwhile depends on how desperate you are for minerals.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13318 on: March 18, 2013, 10:12:30 pm »

Its not so much desperation as I like asteroid miners and I can easily just ship them around. One of the miners with a few of the mining modules and a cargo hold to take its mass driver with it means I can easily just strip mine the asteroids right near earth. Because they don't have a lot of minerals its only worth it with a ship mining setup but if you don't mind a little work its easy enough and something I like to work at.

Ninja Edit: Oh and the feeling of actually mining out a place is nice.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13319 on: March 19, 2013, 04:58:11 am »

That's not a solution.

What version of Windows are you using?
Windows 7 32-bit. And I do want the new features, so old version is not an option unless I can't fix it.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13
Pages: 1 ... 886 887 [888] 889 890 ... 1347