Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818008 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12435 on: November 14, 2012, 12:09:34 pm »

Thx for the heads up, i didn't notice the tab when i checked the combat overview window.
I left it running for 6 game hours of 5 second ticks untill the game froze up with an error about 'system resources exceeded', checked task manager and saw Aurora taking up 1.8 gb.
Well i'm still doing something wrong, It's still not starting the survey
You using 6.0 or 6.1? Survey buoys are borked badly in 6.0 -- they cause the game to stop processing build cycles, so not only does the survey never go through, but nothing ever gets built or researched as long as the buoy exists.

Supposedly fixed in 6.1, but I haven't gotten back around to testing it yet.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12436 on: November 14, 2012, 06:22:15 pm »

Downloaded the workaround program.  No more error 719.
New problem-  When pressing F9, I'm getting-
Error 419 generated by Aurora
Permission to use object denied.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12437 on: November 14, 2012, 06:24:13 pm »

Are you running the game as an administrator? That's the only thing I can think of.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12438 on: November 14, 2012, 06:26:53 pm »

Are you running the game as an administrator? That's the only thing I can think of.
Yeah, that seems like just about the only thing. I can't say I've ever encountered that error, so it's probably something to do with incorrect installation. Where do you have the database saved at?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12439 on: November 14, 2012, 06:28:19 pm »

No, as a guest, which is the problem, I think.
I'm getting a permission denied on the workaround, and it requires admin permission.
So another round of trying to fix this through the command line.  Ya. 

Also, while I'm stuck with trying to get the game to be functional, how well would a fleet of lightly armed stealth ships be?  Is it something that would have a very specific role, or could you destroy a conventional fleet by use of hit and run tactics?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12440 on: November 14, 2012, 06:33:37 pm »

It depends on how good your stealth tech is, and on what sort of support you have. Obviously you'll want an independent spotter ship, otherwise the cloaks are useless. Also note that unless you have very good cloak and thermal reduction tech, the tonnage you'll spend on the cloak and the extra resources you'll spend on the drives will be a waste when compared to additional launchers/better electronics/whatever.

Against AI it's possible, but also massively time consuming due to the need to move in at low speed and continually kite enemy vessels around inside your firing range using an active sensor ship. So lots and lots of short interval ticks, and lots of careful micromanagement during the battles. And if you fuck anything up your fleet is probably toast.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12441 on: November 14, 2012, 06:39:03 pm »

No, as a guest, which is the problem, I think.
I'm getting a permission denied on the workaround, and it requires admin permission.
So another round of trying to fix this through the command line.  Ya. 

Also, while I'm stuck with trying to get the game to be functional, how well would a fleet of lightly armed stealth ships be?  Is it something that would have a very specific role, or could you destroy a conventional fleet by use of hit and run tactics?

Why just stealth? Anything with greater range and speed than its target will win pretty much every fight, even if it takes several hours worth of sniping. Stealth technology is too expensive to be used on general purpose ships (at least in the early/mid game). Sure, they'll get close, but once they're spotted the AI will turn on its active sensors, making it harder to escape. Plus at close range the AI gets just as many bonuses as you, and the element of surprise tends to wear off far too quickly... Stealth is more of a late game tech, or something to slam on a sensor ship to keep it from being shot at.

Really, if it's your first game, you should go with good-old missiles. It's another level of management, sure, but missiles have stupidly large range and are quite damaging. With missiles you'll be able to gank almost everything. Or at least be effective enough to gather some combat data for you next generation of ships.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12442 on: November 14, 2012, 07:29:03 pm »

If I'm researching the stealth techs it's to build one of three things:
1) Most often I build small (6 Kton) siege ships that sneak in with the fleet and circle around.  They fire a large salvo of extreme range(600K earlyish game) MIRVs at PDCs, shipyards and ground forces.  No need to move the main fleet within range when you can hit them with something they never even knew was in the system.
2) Stealth listening ships.  Small, slow, 50% passive sensor.
3) Second most common form of stealth use for me is a my commercial shipping raider.  Smallish ship (10K) that has a docking bay carrying a shuttle or two.  Stealth carrier brings the marines in transport, the shuttles drop them off on the targets with their drop pods.  So far a minor success, but then again very little use.

Basically stealth in Aurora isn't to get close, it's to avoid being seen altogether.  If you are building ships with stealth so they can get close you are just wasting your time.
Some simple math I did when I first thought of making a general purpose stealth fleet:  If: Range of weapons < Range my ships would be detected by my own sensors  Then: Fuck this idea.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12443 on: November 14, 2012, 07:43:58 pm »

Ok, thing I learned-
I am fully capable of running this on my admin account.
Turning my current acount, which is a standard account, into an admin account, still has not effect.
There is a fully sentient A.I in my computer laughing at me.

I mainly want to do it for rp reasons.
Would it be possible to build a stealth ship that would be able to jump to an enemy system, fire off a single long range nuke, and then jump out? 

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12444 on: November 14, 2012, 08:01:28 pm »

Ok, thing I learned-
I am fully capable of running this on my admin account.
Turning my current acount, which is a standard account, into an admin account, still has not effect.
There is a fully sentient A.I in my computer laughing at me.

I mainly want to do it for rp reasons.
Would it be possible to build a stealth ship that would be able to jump to an enemy system, fire off a single long range nuke, and then jump out?

Much more than possible, but still not very practical. Stealth still isn't useful, since you'd be pretty much guaranteed to be out of sensor range of any enemy ships. You would also need a sensor ship with really powerful sensors to detect anything at those ranges as well. Additionally your nukes are going to be really slow so that they can they reach their targets, which doesn't leave much room for warheads or missile agility. You'll probably want to slap some sensors on those nukes as well, unless you want to keep your ships in system for several days to provide sensor support. Oh, and your nukes will probably not hit their target, due to speed and the ease at which they can be shot down.

That's not to say that you shouldn't attempt it. This is Aurora, and you can do whatever you want. If you are going to go ahead with the idea, then look into multi-stage missiles. That way you can have a massive, long-range, slow missile that splits into a bunch of small, powerful and highly maneuverable missiles when they close in on the enemies, which is a much more effective weapon than a single, long-ranged nuke. Oh, and go with the reduced-sized missile launchers too. At those ranges reloading isn't going to be a problem, and you'll need the extra space. Long range missiles are massive.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #12445 on: November 14, 2012, 08:37:06 pm »

Unless it has changed since the last time I tried stealth, using active sensors may give away your position but it does not allow them to lock onto you with weapons. So you could fly in, activate sensors, and fire off missiles. Even if their missiles outrange yours, they can't fire them at you unless they get their own active sensor contact on you. The EM from your sensors lets them see where you are and move toward you, but as long as you're around the same speed or faster than them you can keep out of their range and fire away then deactivate sensors and be undetectable again (assuming they aren't spotting your thermal). At which point the AI tends to go to your last known location to look for you, but if you move away they'll never find you.

You could even have missiles with their own sensors and just fire at where their EM or thermal contacts are and let them lock onto their targets once they get there. In that case you would never need to activate any sensors, so they'd never even see your ship at all. In one game I had a JP make a new link (created after all their own JPs were explored, so they never knew it was there) to an NPR system. I was able to send stealth ships in with low thermals and a small cross section and harass them with impunity, nuking their ships without them ever seeing where the missiles were coming from.

Just don't get so close that you move into their missile sensor range, since those will see you no matter how small your ship's cross section is.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12446 on: November 14, 2012, 10:54:16 pm »

Do asteroid miners need to have anything special other then an asteroid mining module and a cargo hold?
Also, is it possible to access the Add colony button by using Ctrl- (Some other button)?  I'm having trouble getting resize enable to work properly, and the bottom of the System view is just off the bottom of my screen.

And is this thread larger then the entire Aurora forums?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12447 on: November 14, 2012, 11:02:56 pm »

They don't even need a cargo hold. You could use mass drivers or dedicated freighters to move the minerals back to your industry.

This thread has a similar number of posts to the whole "The Academy" section on the Aurora forums, but no, it's not larger than the entire forum.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12448 on: November 14, 2012, 11:09:31 pm »

Also, is it possible to access the Add colony button by using Ctrl- (Some other button)?  I'm having trouble getting resize enable to work properly, and the bottom of the System view is just off the bottom of my screen.

Right click the planet on the System map (F3). It'll be under population.

Also, you have reduced height windows on, right? Just checking.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12449 on: November 15, 2012, 09:10:17 am »

Well....that was a first. Started up a new game in 6.1. After about six years, I had built jumpgates on all four JPs in Sol, after popping a jump-capable battlegroup through to make sure it wasn't a hostile system. Cue Swarm Queen showing up where I thought was "safe". She blows up my geoscout, then somehow evades the battlecruiser I had sent to intercept when I first spotted her. About the time my cruiser gets to Ross 248, the Queen shows up just outside Jupiter's orbit and proceeds to head to Earth where she wrecks my shit and irradiates the planet.  :'(

And never launched drones, which was odd. I wonder if Steve has rewritten AI code for the Swarm this go-around. NEVER had them be that aggressive before, and especially never had anything other than Happy Fun Ships make a direct attack on Earth.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 1347