Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 826 827 [828] 829 830 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818078 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12405 on: November 13, 2012, 12:45:18 pm »

It's a bomb, not a missile. He's more concerned about sheer explosive power than armour penetration. Plus 3000 is a much nicer looking number than 2916, which is very important.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12406 on: November 13, 2012, 12:53:08 pm »

The install does not install MSSTDFMT.DLL if I recall correctly.

Lightningfalcon, the bottom of the first post has the file, but the image on how to activate it is broken and I don't recall the steps. You could try placing the file in the Aurora directory itself instead of the syswow directory, but I'm not sure whether that's me remembering people saying to do it that way or just my mind making things up.
I can't even see that dll file. I only see a .cab, the zip with planet images and things, the installer, and some other file that I assume to be unimportant.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12407 on: November 13, 2012, 01:18:44 pm »

Perhaps you need to reread that he said it was in the OP of this thread, not in the Aurora download. To be especially helpful I've put the relevant bit here.
IT WORKS!

Here's the fix for anyone with 64 bit win7 and probably vista, since this isn't documented anywhere specifically on their forums I'm going to post it here :P

If you're getting the MSSTDFMT.dll file is missing when you press F9 for necessary star system information:
1. Download the dll here http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msstdfmt
2. Drop the .dll in C:/windows/syswow64
3. Open up the command line as administrator and type the second to last line outlined in red

It will now work upon restarting the game.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12408 on: November 13, 2012, 05:43:21 pm »

Still not working.
Now getting error 0x08002801c when I try to regsvr32 the .dll

Also I don't entirely understand where the red highlighted line of text is, I haven't seen one anywhere.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 05:45:52 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12409 on: November 13, 2012, 08:23:12 pm »

im trying to get into this, but its like trying to wrestle a brick wall

researched basic engine tech and the nuclear engines, but when i go to design my ship, the engines dont show up.
Its already been about 3 in game years and i still dont have a ship to survey/mine with

ive looked up some tutorials but still having trouble with all of this
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:25:28 pm by azurelao »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12410 on: November 13, 2012, 08:27:27 pm »

Before you can stick the engine on your ships, you need to press the "design" button at the bottom of the industry/population/whatever screen and use the dropbox to find "engines." After you design one, you must research the engine design, THEN you can put it on.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12411 on: November 13, 2012, 08:36:24 pm »

Still not working.
Now getting error 0x08002801c when I try to regsvr32 the .dll

Also I don't entirely understand where the red highlighted line of text is, I haven't seen one anywhere.

You need to run the command line in administrator mode for it to execute the command properly, as in 'right click> run as administrator'. Simply running it while you are logged in with administrative privileges won't do it, you need to be explicit.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12412 on: November 13, 2012, 08:51:25 pm »

Before you can stick the engine on your ships, you need to press the "design" button at the bottom of the industry/population/whatever screen and use the dropbox to find "engines." After you design one, you must research the engine design, THEN you can put it on.

Thanks. I was worried that I was getting behind in my exploration. Now I ought to be able to explore and set up mining posts/colonies.

Is it usual for the research to take so long, though?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12413 on: November 13, 2012, 08:54:01 pm »

How long is long? From a conventional start it might be 20 or 30 years before I really start building spaceships.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12414 on: November 13, 2012, 09:06:57 pm »

I would also suggest putting at least ten research labs on whatever technology is most important. Although you will have to put more later on when techs become more expensive.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12415 on: November 13, 2012, 09:12:44 pm »

So when you start out, focus on factories and labs for better industrial capacity?

and by a long time, i meant years. took one year to research the basic stuff, then another to research nuclear engines

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12416 on: November 13, 2012, 09:16:01 pm »

Thanks. I was worried that I was getting behind in my exploration. Now I ought to be able to explore and set up mining posts/colonies.

Yes. Make sure you put more labs on more important things (like, say, a higher research rate :P). Also, scientists who specialize in that field can become godlike if you work them hard enough.

E: Typically (note: I've never done a conventional start) I aim for vomiting up plenty of labs and turning some mines into automated ones to put on worlds for more minerals, and the only shipbuilding I actually do is to make freighters and survey vessels. I like to go for better mine production and research rate at the start.

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12417 on: November 13, 2012, 10:26:03 pm »

Yes. Make sure you put more labs on more important things (like, say, a higher research rate :P). Also, scientists who specialize in that field can become godlike if you work them hard enough.

how do you hire more scientists? i got stuck with three that had absolutely nothing to do with engines/power.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12418 on: November 13, 2012, 10:32:11 pm »

They just spawn like mushrooms, you don't hire them or anything. Well, I suppose that you could always build more officer training schools to increase the rate at which scientists spawn, and I believe that an option exists to just spawn more officers out of the blue. However you can't choose which types of scientists you get from both methods, so it's a bit of a grab bag.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:13:48 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12419 on: November 13, 2012, 11:11:38 pm »

The command line method isn't working. I'm getting-
The module "msstdfmt.dll" failed to load.
Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or dependent .DLL files.

Access is denied.

I got the same thing on my Admin account.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 826 827 [828] 829 830 ... 1347