Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818335 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12195 on: October 28, 2012, 11:47:02 am »

More specifically, increasing deployment time automatically adds crew quarters. The more tonnage dedicated to quarters per crewperson, the longer the ship can stay out without losing morale. One thing to note is that this doesn't play nice with fighters; you'll need to manually change it to a single tiny quarters.

Also keep in mind that fighters use their carrier's deployment time and quarters while docked.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12196 on: October 28, 2012, 11:51:41 am »

If I recall, any ship with 15 days or less deployment time will use mothership berths.  It's not restricted to just fighters, but also FAC and satellites and really anything you can fit into a hangar.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12197 on: October 28, 2012, 12:50:17 pm »

Yeah, I just specified fighters because, y'know, they epitomize the concept of "short ranged short deployment craft stored in carriers while not actively fighting".

3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12198 on: October 28, 2012, 01:50:11 pm »

Can I hold POWs in cryogenic storage? I'm going to beat down some precursors in another system to get some wrecks there but I was also thinking about attacking some hostile NPR I discovered recently and torturing interrogating the crew. If I can, I was going to install my salvage ship with cryogenic storage.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12199 on: October 28, 2012, 02:28:00 pm »

I'm all but certain that excess POWs and rescued crew are automatically cryo'd.

3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12200 on: October 28, 2012, 02:37:45 pm »

You need cryo transport to store them, yes.  So it's entirely possible!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12201 on: October 28, 2012, 02:45:18 pm »

Technically, you don't need cryopods to transport them, just enough spare berths/a short enough distance to travel that morale won't be driven into the lower decks by overcrowding.

3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12202 on: October 28, 2012, 02:59:39 pm »

Ah, well, yes.  Prisoners who are not in cryo are counted as additional crew, so if you have 10 crew to last 6 months, then you'd get 10 crew + 1 prisoner to last 5.5 months.  Or such.  Same for lifepods.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12203 on: October 28, 2012, 03:47:46 pm »

Thought I was doin good shipping some automated mines to Mars but I've got 14 of 'em shipped and they're not doing anything.  What am I missing? Survey Team? A way to get the minerals back?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12204 on: October 28, 2012, 03:49:10 pm »

Did you discover any minerals there, or just put mines?  If no, bring a geological survey ship over.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12205 on: October 28, 2012, 03:49:28 pm »

Thought I was doin good shipping some automated mines to Mars but I've got 14 of 'em shipped and they're not doing anything.  What am I missing? Survey Team? A way to get the minerals back?

How long have you waited? Are there even minerals on Mars? What is the accessibility of the minerals on Mars? 14 automines isn't going to do much if the accessibility is low like 0.1 or 0.2

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12206 on: October 28, 2012, 04:04:34 pm »

Well, I know it's surveyed, it's got 2 minerals that I need to harvest, one is Acc.: 0.4 and the other is 0.8.  At this point there are 38 mines....it's been 4-5 months since I started unloading them.  I feel like I'm missing something totally obvious...I've made it a colony, assigned an administrator, and the mining/maintenance tab tells me I've got 38 mines that should get 456 annual production but the mineral chart is essentially empty.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:18:01 pm by toomanysecrets »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12207 on: October 28, 2012, 04:18:38 pm »

Default mines harvest at 10 per... some unit of time.  Year?  That's multiplied by the accessibility.  Acc .8 gives you 8, and at .4 you get 4.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12208 on: October 28, 2012, 05:07:21 pm »

It depends where you installed Aurora and what operating system you're using. If you're on Windows 7, then installing Aurora into program files will cause it to not actually use the database file in the aurora folder, instead sticking it in some byzantine location that I can't recall off the top of my head (I'm not entirely sentient right now due to emergency gardening before the frankenstorm hits), so you have to install into another location (such as just doing it in your hard drive's root, or a 'games' folder or something) for that to work.
Ah, that's pretty annoying. A search shows a 1GB version under Appdata, so that must be it. I'm guessing that simply moving the Aurora folder won't fix the problem.

Wait, does this mean that updates to the database won't be applied if I download the new version and extract it into the Aurora folder?

I'm thinking I might just uninstall Aurora and update to the latest version. I seem to recall having trouble uninstalling Aurora in the past, is there anything special I have to do?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12209 on: October 28, 2012, 05:09:55 pm »

It depends where you installed Aurora and what operating system you're using. If you're on Windows 7, then installing Aurora into program files will cause it to not actually use the database file in the aurora folder, instead sticking it in some byzantine location that I can't recall off the top of my head (I'm not entirely sentient right now due to emergency gardening before the frankenstorm hits), so you have to install into another location (such as just doing it in your hard drive's root, or a 'games' folder or something) for that to work.
Ah, that's pretty annoying. A search shows a 1GB version under Appdata, so that must be it. I'm guessing that simply moving the Aurora folder won't fix the problem.

Wait, does this mean that updates to the database won't be applied if I download the new version and extract it into the Aurora folder?

I'm thinking I might just uninstall Aurora and update to the latest version. I seem to recall having trouble uninstalling Aurora in the past, is there anything special I have to do?

I don't know about uninstalling, but swapping in the new database is the only way to update the game. A full install with 6.1 doesn't exist.
Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 1347