Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818720 times)

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11940 on: October 21, 2012, 11:02:55 am »

Do I put automated mines on moons to mine them? I'm about 2 years away from running out of resources on earth and need to find some metal sources fast!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11941 on: October 21, 2012, 11:07:11 am »

Oh hey, does anyone know if I can scuttle a missile that's currently in flight?
If you've fired it from a ship with active sensors, then you can shut off the actives and the missile will loose guidance and self-destruct.  If the missile has its own guidance system, then it will stop wherever it is and float there until a target comes nearby, at which point it will chase.  If it runs out of fuel, it explodes.

Or you can simply cause the missile to selfdestruct via the combat overview window(F8). Select the missiles in flight tab, select the offending missile, and hit destroy.

Thanks, I knew that window was somewhere.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11942 on: October 21, 2012, 11:21:32 am »

Do I put automated mines on moons to mine them? I'm about 2 years away from running out of resources on earth and need to find some metal sources fast!
You have three choices for minerals.
1: A mine requires... 10k population to run?  This must be supported via infrastructure on planets that are not 0.0
2: Auto-mines work the same as a mine, but require no population, and are more expensive to produce.
3: Asteroid Mining Modules are as powerful as a mine or auto-mine, and are installed on a ship.  They will harvest resources off any body with minerals and a colony.  They're made ideally to deal with small asteroids with small resources, letting the ship hop from one to another to drain the whole field quicker than cargo ships could move the regular mines.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11943 on: October 21, 2012, 11:23:24 am »

Of course, you need to find new minerals first. It does not help to put the (auto)mines on moons and hope for the best.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11944 on: October 21, 2012, 11:29:44 am »

You have three choices for minerals.
1: A mine requires... 10k population to run?  This must be supported via infrastructure on planets that are not 0.0
2: Auto-mines work the same as a mine, but require no population, and are more expensive to produce.
3: Asteroid Mining Modules are as powerful as a mine or auto-mine, and are installed on a ship.  They will harvest resources off any body with minerals and a colony.  They're made ideally to deal with small asteroids with small resources, letting the ship hop from one to another to drain the whole field quicker than cargo ships could move the regular mines.
To clarify: Asteroid miners will not mine minerals on planets. Hence the name.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11945 on: October 21, 2012, 11:37:05 am »

how often do mass drivers "shoot"? would 2 be enough to support 80 or so automines?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11946 on: October 21, 2012, 11:40:23 am »

Each massdriver can deliver up to 5000t each year and it can catch an infinite amount.
So it really depends on how accessible your minerals are.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11947 on: October 21, 2012, 12:21:41 pm »

Are you very certain of this?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11948 on: October 21, 2012, 01:38:05 pm »

They won't I tried using them on a planet. Honestly, asteroids kinda suck unless you get that one with like a ton of one mineral, or find a system with comets and just go nuts.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11949 on: October 21, 2012, 03:11:49 pm »

So I finally got Ion tech engines and I'm about to start producing a cruiser to jump with  my jump ships.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

critiques?

I'm not 100% sure on how sensors and fire control work so those might be wrong. It need to be under 7500 tons so I'm good there. Should I start thinking about making a small jump gate constructor?

oh and my wealth is plummeting like crazy! how do I fix it?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:16:43 pm by revo »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11950 on: October 21, 2012, 03:35:56 pm »

So I finally got Ion tech engines and I'm about to start producing a cruiser to jump with  my jump ships.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

critiques?

I'm not 100% sure on how sensors and fire control work so those might be wrong. It need to be under 7500 tons so I'm good there. Should I start thinking about making a small jump gate constructor?

oh and my wealth is plummeting like crazy! how do I fix it?
Trading. Any colony with 10 million or more will start trading using commercial lines. (Ctrl+lto open the commercial lines menu)
And civilian mining colonies, I have no idea of how they are created but they will appear with time.

Guys is anyone else getting an nullstring and other errors (3315 and 3201) when trying to create an NPR? (Or when entering a system and the game tries to make one)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11951 on: October 21, 2012, 03:39:36 pm »

critiques?

Your weapons have a higher tracking speed than your FC allow. If you don't want to (or can't) make them bigger so they have more tracking speed, you should at least design a smaller PD turret that tracks at 12k km/s.
The active sensors are a bit on the small side, they'll do for targeting just fine, but you might have trouble spotting targets in system (10m km is not even 1/10 the distance the earth is from the sun). You might want to consider designing a Sensor ship that has larger active and passive sensors but no weapons.
I don't really see why you're mixing railguns and lasers, you're probably better off just sticking to one or the other.
You can afford to lose some engineering space. Military ships will spend most of their time in orbit around a planet, so they don't need to be quite that durable. I try and aim for a Maintenance Life of 2 years.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11952 on: October 21, 2012, 03:56:37 pm »

@revo:
Some questions you have to ask yourself:
Why do You use another active sensor just for additional 2.8m coverage? Best way to deal with it would be getting rid of it and using sensor ship with a bigger one.
Do You really need two main-weapon targetting computers for this little weaponry? You won't be attacking single enemy with one laser anyway.
What are You gaining by putting two types of what seems to act as main-weapon? Changing that railgun for another laser is not a bad idea. Or maybe go for railguns and design smaller targetting computer for that?
Wouldn't lowest tech PD lasers be enough? It decreases cost and difference between 10k and 90k doesn't give you anything (you are using them in point-blank).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11953 on: October 21, 2012, 04:04:35 pm »

They won't I tried using them on a planet. Honestly, asteroids kinda suck unless you get that one with like a ton of one mineral, or find a system with comets and just go nuts.
Which is why civilians are great. They'll happily drop mining colonies on every little hunk of rock, so you can let them do the work and buy up the minerals.

Re: The ship:

1. Not enough power to charge all weapons simultaneously.
2. Mixing primary E/KW armament is a waste of research; it's generally best to pick a branch and stick with it.
3. You're not going to see much with the AS, though it will do okay for targeting.
4. As mentioned, there's a degree of inefficiency with the turrets and FC.
5. You don't need to include an EM sensor on a ship with an active sensor; there's an EM sensor build into the AS as the 'listening' part of it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11954 on: October 21, 2012, 04:05:59 pm »

Oh hey everyone, 6.10 is out. Bugfixes galore!

You don't need to include an EM sensor on a ship with an active sensor; there's an EM sensor build into the AS as the 'listening' part of it.
Really? I didn't think active sensors will hear your enemy's active sensors or detect their shield strength.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 04:07:35 pm by Karlito »
Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 1347