Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818587 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11385 on: September 04, 2012, 04:49:41 pm »

I would recommend doing a AAR of a "homeworld" ship.

You just -SM- Build a gigantic ship, with docks, the ability to extract gas from places, some colony stations and so on - then just fly off and let the AAR write itself by what you meet. Withhin the ship you can dock a handful of player-build ships.

you'll need to off maintenance or cheat on a regular basis, the capital ship age will become a problem.
that, or obtaining maintenance could get some interesting twist plotwise - and also a timer, find earth in ten years - o else

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11386 on: September 04, 2012, 08:09:03 pm »

I would recommend doing a AAR of a "homeworld" ship.

You just -SM- Build a gigantic ship, with docks, the ability to extract gas from places, some colony stations and so on - then just fly off and let the AAR write itself by what you meet. Withhin the ship you can dock a handful of player-build ships.

you'll need to off maintenance or cheat on a regular basis, the capital ship age will become a problem.
that, or obtaining maintenance could get some interesting twist plotwise - and also a timer, find earth in ten years - o else

The way to do it would be to make the main production ship/colony ship/cargo ship commercial, and have a second one to act as a mobile dockyard for every military vessel with several dozen thousand supply. Carry enough support installations on the first and it could supply the carrier during gathering cycles. Still, doing a purely mobile (albeit with temporary mining bases) civilization is eventually going to end in failure if maintenance is on.

Another problem is that a sufficiently-large vessel (a bit over 10.3 million tons for me) starts generating overflow errors during class design.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:12:40 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11387 on: September 04, 2012, 08:24:39 pm »

A while back I someone was talking about SM'ing a largish fleet and having a trek for Earth type deal, where you fly until you find a habitable world without any terraforming.

Aboth Ber

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of his mispronunciation and malapropism
    • View Profile
« Reply #11388 on: September 05, 2012, 05:00:08 am »

I'm just announcing not putting an ads (suspicious specific denial).

Well we now had an Aurora community game... In what I admittedly very much inspired from a LetsPlay in Something Awful by bgreman.

Everyone invited and can join...
You can find it in Let's Play subforum...
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=115963.0
ONLY YOU can help the Allies expand and outperform the Reich.

Btw, is it legal or illegal if I promote the let's play? If it indeed illegal, I gladly erase this post...
Aurora Community Game: Allies and Reich in Space. :
Year 2004: Reich in Jupiter. Now what?

Only You can help the Allies conquer the stars! For Freedom and Capitalism!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11389 on: September 05, 2012, 05:31:55 am »

You're not selling anything, just announcing a LP that was discussed on this forum.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11390 on: September 05, 2012, 08:10:42 am »

It is also common to put a link to your LP into your signature.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11391 on: September 05, 2012, 01:09:23 pm »

Okay, I'm doing the BSG-inspired LP. :D

Go take a look and see what you think.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11392 on: September 05, 2012, 04:17:46 pm »

Okay, I'm doing the BSG-inspired LP. :D

Go take a look and see what you think.

Woo, time to be a grizzled freighter captain with a heart of gold.

3. Run Resize Enable

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11393 on: September 05, 2012, 05:17:45 pm »

Glad I could inspire something, have fun!

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11394 on: September 05, 2012, 09:23:28 pm »

Just don't make it too complicated for yourselves guys, from what I'v seen a lot of the games that make a lot of work for the GM occasionally don't even make it to one update.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11395 on: September 06, 2012, 10:24:05 am »

Eh, I'm confident that RedKing will take us somewhere while maintaining a decent standard of writing.

3. Run Resize Enable

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #11396 on: September 07, 2012, 04:23:55 am »

ok, I just can't play this. I'm too dumb, or too weak to endure the endless turns when nothing happens.

tried cheating, tried conventional, tried with spoilers, tried without. it is just... that this seems a great storytelling device, if you manually set up the right conditions, but it rarely if seldom generates those interesting situations by itself.

fun just never comes to fruition. I'll wait 6.0 and give another try, given that it will have a better management interface and hopefully more design options

in the meanwhile, I'll need some space combat fix: any other 4x game that have detailed ship design and combat where ship doesn't just have a 'health bar' and can actually survive long engagements (I can set for something like star ruler, but I'm also looking new stuff, specially because star ruler doesn't work on mac)

Aboth Ber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11397 on: September 07, 2012, 05:13:30 am »

ok, I just can't play this. I'm too dumb, or too weak to endure the endless turns when nothing happens.

tried cheating, tried conventional, tried with spoilers, tried without. it is just... that this seems a great storytelling device, if you manually set up the right conditions, but it rarely if seldom generates those interesting situations by itself.

fun just never comes to fruition. I'll wait 6.0 and give another try, given that it will have a better management interface and hopefully more design options

in the meanwhile, I'll need some space combat fix: any other 4x game that have detailed ship design and combat where ship doesn't just have a 'health bar' and can actually survive long engagements (I can set for something like star ruler, but I'm also looking new stuff, specially because star ruler doesn't work on mac)

That's why I found it more compelling to play with others. Aurora started as an assistant to Starfire Tabletop Game after all.
When I play singe payer game, I'm always set NPR generation rate as high as 100% to ensure I had someone to play with although the AI was pretty much easy to guess. In my last single player game, The New United Nation of Earth and Mars (NUNEM) was facing enemy that was much more faster, much more bigger, and had bigger guns. The Earth and Mars desperately producing ships, missiles, fighters (suicidal one, no more hangar capable ships), and PDCs to keep the enemy from entering entering Sol. But it was a losing batte. In 2039, 14 years after human start exploring the stars (conventional start), the enemy jumped into Sol. Only 3 ~30.000-ton sized Cruiser. But it decimated the stationed picket fleets. Destroy mining colonies across Jupiter's moons. (Saturn was spared, thank God!). Picking CMCs between Jupiter and Mars (how the he can they detect those CMC? it was only EM 5 for Xenu sake.) Mars destroyed several months after fired with numerous Plasma Torpedoes. The Earth try to strike them with all nuclear missile arsenal that the Earth had, but it only killing one. Crippled (but not disabled) the other one. It was a desperate move. Although I keep producing and firing missiles as fast as I can, it changed nothing. My industry capabilities are decimated, mass drivers are gone, I got gallicite and duranium shortage, it was over. Finally Earth was fallen one year later.
That's why boys and girls, NEVER jump into strange star before your ready.

Only Mining Colony at Titan survived. I was losing epicly. It is not in nature of human to surrender easily so I SM-ing some Construction Factories on Titan. The Human Union of Titan will avenge their fallen comrade on Earth and Mars! As the Titan only had 4m people that reside on Orbital Habitats, no ships except OH-tugships. I SM-ing that Pop into 100m (the peope are breeding like rabbits? no, it is extra-uterus birth), I assuming the date are now 2140 (even when the game still display it as 2040), 100 years after the Fall of Earth. I Fast-OOB the new generation engine ship. And armed them with very extra long drone carrying missile that shoot smaller missiles to overwhelm the enemy by sheer missile numbers. Only one problem remains. How can I direct those ships while keeping the Titan colony existance hidden. And that the whole stories so far.

You see, Aurora had potential to create epic stories, just keep trying, keep looking, and keep imagining things even when it didn't exist...

For those interested:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11398 on: September 07, 2012, 09:32:55 am »

Honestly, the Intergalactic Invaders aren't worth the trouble. Their unique techs aren't particularly good, and more importantly they tend to kill games with nonstop one-day ticks. Not to mention that they're far easier to deal with than a 1000% difficulty NPR.

But yes, you tend to get a decent number of stories from any substantial (40+ years T/N; 60+ years conventional) campaign.

3. Run Resize Enable

Aboth Ber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11399 on: September 07, 2012, 10:03:59 am »

Well the battle was hopeless to me... Since I started with CS, my tech was pretty much a galactic junk...
But it still fun trying to beat them with mediocre techs, I can't outrun them nor outgun them... Guess the Precursor that the Invader destroyed was no never advance beyond Ion Engine techs level I guess....

Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 1347