Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818061 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11085 on: August 07, 2012, 03:49:14 pm »

no but the process to launch them is convoluted and the ship will drop them in place instead of launching

you set a waypoint, then in the task group enable the waypoints and there should be a launch order or something.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11086 on: August 07, 2012, 04:03:45 pm »

Do missiles with passive tracking need fire control systems to launch?
I'm not entirely sure. From my experience, you need an FCS to launch anything (buoy, drone, missile) without the ship physically going to that spot and just dropping it out of a hatch. But I've seen it said that there is a way to launch ordnance at a waypoint without having the ship travel there (it was in the context of sensor buoys to planets/moons). And if that works, then in theory you could have an active sensor-laden missile/drone, establish a waypoint in the general region where you think there are hostiles, then fire ordnance at the waypoint. If the sensors pick up a hostile target, it should auto-target and intercept it. Of course, the active sensors would be giving your position away the whole flight downrange. Better design (if more complicated) would be a long-range missile carrying several active sensor-laden short-range missiles which would deploy at or near target. Then *those* would deploy and go active in the target range without giving away your position. Kind of like launching a torpedo at distance and having it go active and homing near where you think an enemy sub is hiding.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11087 on: August 07, 2012, 04:16:51 pm »

If you want to shoot at a waypoint you need a missile fire control. Whether the MFC can even detect the waypoint is irrelevant so just make a cheap one if your ship doesn't have one already.

To shoot at a planet, you need to create the waypoint from the system view (might have a different name, it is the one with all the planets and with pictured and stats of them). If you don't do it from there the waypoint won't orbit around the star along with the planet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11088 on: August 07, 2012, 04:18:44 pm »

That pretty much sums up why I gave up playing with Real Stars: Nothing to fight, no habitable worlds, long stretches of boredom.
Oddly enough, I'm having the opposite problem. My Real Stars campaign (on hiatus) had a fair number of habitable worlds (2 completely habitable ones right off the bat, a few more under x2 colony cost, and a TON of x2 colony cost worlds), and 3 NPRs (not counting a robust Precursor presence and the Swarm).

My current nebula-start game has found a ton of nitrogen-oxygen worlds, but every single one of them is uninhabited. I finally got a hyper-scout built to go check out two binary systems where the companion is thousands of AUs out with no L-points. Even those were uninhabited. And minerals seem to be much scarcer than in a Real Stars game (could be the prominent lack of old M-class stars?). I've run into a couple of Precursor packs and there's at least two Swarm queens out there. But no NPRs.

Mm, I might agree with you on the minerals. It probably has more to do with what sort of mood the RNG is in for every factor, rather than whether the game is RS or not. For example, in my current game I've opened 10 systems; 1 had Precursors, 3 had wormholes, and 6 had at least one 2.00 or less cost world. Meh.

If you want to shoot at a waypoint you need a missile fire control. Whether the MFC can even detect the waypoint is irrelevant so just make a cheap one if your ship doesn't have one already.

To shoot at a planet, you need to create the waypoint from the system view (might have a different name, it is the one with all the planets and with pictured and stats of them). If you don't do it from there the waypoint won't orbit around the star along with the planet.

Didn't Steve remove firing at waypoints to get rid of the massive abuse of missile swarms that it allowed? Or is that in the future plans?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #11089 on: August 07, 2012, 04:40:08 pm »

I accidentally windows, so now I only have os x and wine.

I've set up almost everything, but economics window doesn't show up. (system view works, both f3 and f9).

on the forum I found something about 'search for linux' and I did but nothing showed up. any idea?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11090 on: August 07, 2012, 04:48:00 pm »

I'm not entirely sure. From my experience, you need an FCS to launch anything (buoy, drone, missile) without the ship physically going to that spot and just dropping it out of a hatch. But I've seen it said that there is a way to launch ordnance at a waypoint without having the ship travel there (it was in the context of sensor buoys to planets/moons). And if that works, then in theory you could have an active sensor-laden missile/drone, establish a waypoint in the general region where you think there are hostiles, then fire ordnance at the waypoint. If the sensors pick up a hostile target, it should auto-target and intercept it. Of course, the active sensors would be giving your position away the whole flight downrange. Better design (if more complicated) would be a long-range missile carrying several active sensor-laden short-range missiles which would deploy at or near target. Then *those* would deploy and go active in the target range without giving away your position. Kind of like launching a torpedo at distance and having it go active and homing near where you think an enemy sub is hiding.
I was asking about passive sensors such as thermal. The idea was to have long-range stealth attack, like firing a Sidewinder at a target that hasn't seen you yet.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11091 on: August 07, 2012, 05:08:22 pm »

I was asking about passive sensors such as thermal. The idea was to have long-range stealth attack, like firing a Sidewinder at a target that hasn't seen you yet.
You have to have the target painted with an active sensor in order for your FC to be able to lock on. The typical method for something like this would be to use a second sensor ship to paint the enemy ships while your hidden missile platforms lock on and fire. All that having passive sensors on a missile does is give it a way to lock on to a new target if the original has been destroyed while it was in flight (though I'm not certain if it even does that).

3. Run Resize Enable

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11092 on: August 07, 2012, 09:58:17 pm »

Didn't Steve remove firing at waypoints to get rid of the massive abuse of missile swarms that it allowed? Or is that in the future plans?
Something like that. If you read some of the older AAR reports missile ships unload all their magazines at a single waypoint and then switch the target on the fire control and have the entire missile swarm start up again and fly at the enemy fleet. That's no longer a valid tactic, though I think you can still fire missiles at waypoints (at least for survey drones and the like) but I'm fuzzy on the details. It might just be that you can't change a missile's target mid-flight anymore.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11093 on: August 07, 2012, 10:13:10 pm »

Tiny question. If you don't specify a number when ordering a freighter to load something ie, leave it at zero, does it just fill up on that item?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11094 on: August 07, 2012, 10:14:31 pm »

Tiny question. If you don't specify a number when ordering a freighter to load something ie, leave it at zero, does it just fill up on that item?

Yep, it'll attempt to fill it's hold.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11095 on: August 07, 2012, 10:14:48 pm »

Something like that. If you read some of the older AAR reports missile ships unload all their magazines at a single waypoint and then switch the target on the fire control and have the entire missile swarm start up again and fly at the enemy fleet. That's no longer a valid tactic, though I think you can still fire missiles at waypoints (at least for survey drones and the like) but I'm fuzzy on the details. It might just be that you can't change a missile's target mid-flight anymore.
That might be it, as a quick check confirmed that "Launch Missiles at" is still a valid action for TGs interacting with waypoints. Not going to waste munitions testing it when there are Invaders afoot, though.

Leaving it at 0 will make the freighter(s) load the maximum possible amount.

3. Run Resize Enable

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11096 on: August 07, 2012, 10:43:21 pm »

Ah, thanks. Any tips for a newbie?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11097 on: August 07, 2012, 10:56:17 pm »

Ah, thanks. Any tips for a newbie?
Bend over, etc. etc.  :P

More seriously, experiment with everything. Use the various tutorials out there as a rough guide. Come here for specific questions. Even after all this time I'm still discovering new little features and tricks; Steve himself has basically admitted that he doesn't remember a lot of the stuff he has coded in.

3. Run Resize Enable

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11098 on: August 07, 2012, 11:46:13 pm »

Hey guys, I'm thinking of creating a combined sorium harvester + maintenance module ship, as a sort of forward operating base for small grav survey ships.

Will I be able to overhaul the ships at a ship with a suitably large sized maintenance module?
And if so, will it need some resources of some sort either on board in a cargo hull or on the planet it's orbiting?
And if so, can you put that kinda stuff directly on a gas giant, or will it have to fly to a nearby moon to do overhauls?

I've never used maintenance modules before, so I really don't know how they work.

(And it'll get more complicated with 5.70, as it'll have to have 10,000 people on board too. Probably with infrastructure for them as well, as sticking a jump engine on an orbital habitat seems... tricky.)
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11099 on: August 07, 2012, 11:50:07 pm »

Maintenance modules only work in orbit of a planet (they count as an orbital installation, just like terraforming modules or asteroid miners). The planet will need to be stocked with minerals for them to be useful. I don't believe you can drop things on gas giants, so it'd probably be better to have the maintenance base and sorium harvester be separate ships.
Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 1347