Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817879 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9450 on: January 05, 2012, 11:10:37 pm »

Not me. Mine has been 55% scanned and no contacts. And this is with Active Sensors with a range of 50m km on. If someone was there, they would have stopped by to say hi by now.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9451 on: January 05, 2012, 11:15:51 pm »

The reason for that is that (IIRC), Procyon tends to have planets/moons in the habitable range. As the 'defender' type of Precursor tend to be in systems with habitable worlds with ruins, systems that have a high chance of habitable worlds will have greater chances of a spawn.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9452 on: January 05, 2012, 11:22:54 pm »

ALSO: I've been having this annoying bug when I play around with assigning the planets in Sol the correct pictures.  When I assign the picture "gg11" to Saturn, and then re-open the System Generation and Display screen, it displays an error that amounts to "The picture gg11 cannot be found" and then it turns the game completely off.  When reopened, it works until you open the SG&D screen for Sol again, upon which it displays the same error, and shuts the game down again.  I have discovered a fix for this.  I go and find a pretty picture of Saturn on Google and save it to the planetjpeg folder in the systems file folder for Aurora as gg11 after renaming the original gg11 g11 or something.  Now Saturn displays my g11 picture, but at least it works.

Anyone else experience this?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9453 on: January 06, 2012, 12:12:30 am »

I don't even bother trying to get the correct pictures for the Sol system bodies, too much effort for no return. (whoopie, I get to look at a grainy picture of a planet?)

3. Run Resize Enable

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9454 on: January 06, 2012, 12:17:01 am »

It looks nice :(

Come on, don't you get annoyed how Phobos and Demos have proper (though inaccurate) pictures but the EARTH is a blue-grey sphere?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9455 on: January 06, 2012, 02:23:21 am »

Well, fuck.  This was a mistake.

I set up my newest homeworld in a quadrinary system (A, B orbits A, C orbits A, D orbits C).
"Glasstide-C" is only about 15000 AU from anything else.  And my homeworld orbits it.

On the plus side, the AI will never have enough fuel to reach me.

("Orbiting period: 1,458,893 years" (commas added for precision))
EDIT: On the double plus side, there are resources here.  Lots of resources.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 02:36:51 am by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9456 on: January 06, 2012, 03:56:17 am »

I always pray for competing civvie shipping lines.  It makes me feel like my universe is dynamic.
Also, I think that, if you don't mind "cheating", you can SM edit your old ship designs up to modern specs.  It will automagically make all the ships of that class currently built have the new design, unless it doesn't work on civilian ships.  I would do it and then not subsidize the company for a year or two to cut off it's shipbuilding power to balance the "cheat" out, if you feel guilty.

This doesn't work on civilian ships as a ship only actually updates after the class is changed when you view it in the individual ship details screen. As you can't look at civilian ships they thus never get updated.

Or you can just use the tractor beam trick to sieze old, outdated ships, allowing you to scrap them for resources. If you really feel like balancing it, you can then feed a bunch of wealth into the commercial lines, to simulate your government running a trade-in program where companies can sell old ships to govt. scrapyards. Of course, if you're careful to not give them any wealth, they'll often only have a handful of ships well up to the 20-30 year mark. Then, once you've got a decent level of tech (around IC drives), pump them full of money and stop thinking about them altogether until you get to the point where it takes less time for them to rebuild dozens of ships than it does for you to research the next engine tech.

Yep, now that the bug that caused civilians to get rediculous ammounts of money from hybrid colony/luxury liner ships has been fixed, civs tend to have relatively low numbers of ships until you have numerous well populated colonies in different systems for them to ship goods between.

ALSO: I've been having this annoying bug when I play around with assigning the planets in Sol the correct pictures.  When I assign the picture "gg11" to Saturn, and then re-open the System Generation and Display screen, it displays an error that amounts to "The picture gg11 cannot be found" and then it turns the game completely off.  When reopened, it works until you open the SG&D screen for Sol again, upon which it displays the same error, and shuts the game down again.  I have discovered a fix for this.  I go and find a pretty picture of Saturn on Google and save it to the planetjpeg folder in the systems file folder for Aurora as gg11 after renaming the original gg11 g11 or something.  Now Saturn displays my g11 picture, but at least it works.

Yes, this has been an annoyance that has been around for a long time. It seems to somewhat randomly happen if you select any of the gg images. Easiest way of dealing with it is to copy all the gg## images and rename the copys as g##.

Well, fuck.  This was a mistake.

I set up my newest homeworld in a quadrinary system (A, B orbits A, C orbits A, D orbits C).
"Glasstide-C" is only about 15000 AU from anything else.  And my homeworld orbits it.

("Orbiting period: 1,458,893 years" (commas added for precision))
EDIT: On the double plus side, there are resources here.  Lots of resources.

Heh, apart from the fact that the AI doesn't use fuel. :P Fuel along with maintainance are disabled for all AI's as well as your civilian shipping as the AI is unable to intelligently deal with shifting resources around. You can also see this happen if an NPR survives for long enough to have a mineral crash in it's starting system.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9457 on: January 06, 2012, 06:15:05 am »

Yes, though I can't remember how I worked around it, but I do remember posting my results on the Aurora forums.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9458 on: January 06, 2012, 06:19:26 am »

The AI doesn't use fuel.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9459 on: January 06, 2012, 07:45:17 am »

The AI doesn't use fuel.
They also don't use hyperdrive.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9460 on: January 06, 2012, 07:58:43 am »

The AI doesn't use fuel.

Hence, the AI will eventually reach you, but you will likely have maxed out the tech tree by then.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9461 on: January 06, 2012, 10:40:20 am »

The AI doesn't use fuel.

Hence, the AI will eventually reach you, but you will likely have maxed out the tech tree by then.

Of course, that depends on how substantial the resources are. If we're talking ~10m+ for each, it might be viable, but otherwise you would probably run out before making contact, unless you use almost nothing beyond what is required to keep churning out RLs. My suggestion would be to develop a hypercapable, JD-equipped colony ship and freighter, and go ahead and get them moving to the inner system as soon as possible, sending further waves as you can. If there is a habitable world in the inner system, you could cheat a little bit and SM Homeworld minerals onto it if it doesn't have everything, and start sending hypercapable terraformers. Once you've got a foothold, you could start sending over your shipyards and industry, as well as a few hundred million of population, leaving only a thousand or two mines, a thousand or 1500 construction factories, and your research labs. Just keep pumping out RLs on the homeworld, conduct all your research there, in safety, and do literally everything else in the core system. Once you've maxed out every tech, build a hypercapable fleet of freighters to start shipping minerals over, or alternately build about 20 or so MDs, though that would take a looooooong time to start paying off. Really, this setup is quite the advantage, assuming you've got a habitable world in the inner system, or only 1-2 jumps away, as it lets you protect your research labs and a shitload of wealth + CP generation protected from virtually everything.

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9462 on: January 06, 2012, 11:37:39 am »

With a hyper-capable ship how long would it take you to move to the primary star and back?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9463 on: January 06, 2012, 01:09:29 pm »

It'd depend on what engine tech they have. But either way, if they want to keep that game, they'll have to make the journey, and the sooner they start, the better. Just be sure to include enough fuel to get there, and to include fuel refineries in one of the first shipments.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9464 on: January 06, 2012, 02:26:21 pm »

The hyper-exclusion zone on the main is 14500 AU radius.  Don't ask me why, but it literally almost reaches the orbit circle of my star.

Also, 15000 AU translates to 2.25 trillion KM.  It's not really feasible even if you factor in infinite fuel, just by sheer TRAVEL TIME.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 02:29:06 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 1347