Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808864 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6750 on: September 11, 2011, 03:24:19 am »

It seems like I'm roleplaying Greece at the moment, as I have a monthly/yearly/whateverly loss of 487 moolahs.
90% of my industry is building financial centers and I'm researching improved tax too.
Anyone else had economic problems so far?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: September 11, 2011, 03:58:38 am »

I only run into problems when I'm simultaneously building a lot of ships, expanding most/all of my shipyards, using all of my research capacity, all of my construction capacity and all/most of my ordinance and fighter production capacity. Just pause or cancel some of your projects until your economy recovers. As long as you have steady expansion without going overboard you really shouldn't have too many problems. Also, past the very early stages, it is generally much more profitable to found new colonies and expand existing populations than it is to crank out tons of financial centers. Build a few right off for the initial boost, but after that point tax income from populations will far outstrip everything else. FCes and taxes on civilian shipping and mining are just little bits of icing on the triple-decker brownie cake that is population.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: September 11, 2011, 04:34:57 am »

Well, I'm terraforming Mars now so civvies can trade.
I'm down to -577 moolah per unknown time unit. But I'm indeed using all my research and build capacity + most of my shipyards.
I still have enough cash for years though, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6753 on: September 11, 2011, 05:20:43 am »

Then you should be fine.  :P

I typically notice when I'm a few score thousand undefined wealth units in the hole...

3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6754 on: September 11, 2011, 08:22:22 am »

-Snip *helpful information*
Thx alot, you just pointed out a few holes which still existed in my system, i didn't have a seperate active sensor for my PD, i had assumed a resolution 1 fire control would suffice, and i didn't put my beams into turrets, so i'll fix my setup accordingly.
And finally i haved worked out why my PD wasn't working, I wasn't correctly setting the system up, It seems the procedure goes as follows :Assign Missiles to launchers, Select fire control, assign launchers to it, click dropdown for desired quantity of missiles to use, set desired range, click assign. And similar for beam PD. What was confusing me was that the dropdown for number of missiles clears whenever i leave the screen so i assumed it wasn't working, but now i see that in the Combat summary It says PD mode 3 so i know it's ok.
I'll just reapply what i've learned and try again.
Also, holy shit ramming is vicious, a 7500 ton ship exploded my 2 million ton ship with 10 armour levels with a ram attack that only dealt 150 damage, previously it had absorbed 200 9 warhead missiles all over it's hull without incident. The attacker did however recieve 49000 damage from my ship, not that it made a difference really.
Edit: Finally i'm seeing some results from my PD, after building much more powerful Resolution 1 Active sensors the enemy missiles are showing up as targets with just enough range to allow targeting and firing.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:54:10 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6755 on: September 11, 2011, 10:11:01 am »

-Snip *helpful information*
Thx alot, you just pointed out a few holes which still existed in my system, i didn't have a seperate active sensor for my PD, i had assumed a resolution 1 fire control would suffice, and i didn't put my beams into turrets, so i'll fix my setup accordingly.
And finally i haved worked out why my PD wasn't working, I wasn't correctly setting the system up, It seems the procedure goes as follows :Assign Missiles to launchers, Select fire control, assign launchers to it, click dropdown for desired quantity of missiles to use, set desired range, click assign. And similar for beam PD. What was confusing me was that the dropdown for number of missiles clears whenever i leave the screen so i assumed it wasn't working, but now i see that in the Combat summary It says PD mode 3 so i know it's ok.
I'll just reapply what i've learned and try again.
Also, holy shit ramming is vicious, a 7500 ton ship exploded my 2 million ton ship with 10 armour levels with a ram attack that only dealt 150 damage, previously it had absorbed 200 9 warhead missiles all over it's hull without incident. The attacker did however recieve 49000 damage from my ship, not that it made a difference really.

could have been a lucky hit. maybe he managed to ram and get to the fuel tanks. big boom.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: September 11, 2011, 10:12:04 am »

Salvaging. How does it work?
I just finished researching a salvage ship part so I'm planning to create some salvagers to salvage precursor wrecks.
I assume I need to give them cargo bays? Or could I somehow use cargo ships for the job?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: September 11, 2011, 10:17:38 am »

You need at least one salvage module and some cargo bays on the same ship.  Then you send the ship to the wreck to salvage.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6758 on: September 11, 2011, 10:20:07 am »

You need at least one salvage module and some cargo bays on the same ship.  Then you send the ship to the wreck to salvage.
Your cargo bays can be on any ship in the task group.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6759 on: September 11, 2011, 10:23:39 am »

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

edit,
I've build 500 financial centers and I'm at -60 undefined wealth units per undefined time unit now.
I think that'll do..
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:43:59 am by Dutchling »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6760 on: September 11, 2011, 12:10:04 pm »

I only run into problems when I'm simultaneously building a lot of ships, expanding most/all of my shipyards, using all of my research capacity, all of my construction capacity and all/most of my ordinance and fighter production capacity. Just pause or cancel some of your projects until your economy recovers. As long as you have steady expansion without going overboard you really shouldn't have too many problems. Also, past the very early stages, it is generally much more profitable to found new colonies and expand existing populations than it is to crank out tons of financial centers. Build a few right off for the initial boost, but after that point tax income from populations will far outstrip everything else. FCes and taxes on civilian shipping and mining are just little bits of icing on the triple-decker brownie cake that is population.

I disagree. Building financial centers is a much quicker way to increase income than founding new colonies. New colonies are definitely good to do, but it's not going to be a quick return. They're more of a long term investment.

I'm using round numbers to make it simple, but say your growth rate on earth is 3% and you move 100 million people to new colonies and get growth rates of 10%. That's effectively getting you an extra 7 million people per year. So the colonies are like building 7 financial centers per year after you've got them there just from the extra growth rate, plus the other benefits like additional labor force and such.

Unless your construction rate is abysmal (or you find perfectly habitable worlds), it will take more effort to get those colonies going than it is to just build 100 financial centers on an existing world. You have to either terraform them, or move infrastructure in. The infrastructure your civilians can do, but if you were trying to focus on doing it faster for wealth increase you'd have to manufacture it and move it in yourself. Terraformers can obviously be reused, so investing in them is a great long term investment (I like the ship ones myself) - but if your economy is in the red you need financial centers first.

Plus you can easily do both at once. The best way to build economy is a combination of the two. Seed your colonies and let your civilians handle the infrastructure. Haul in construction factories and minerals to a colony and have them build financial centers. Also consider the bonus for financial administrators. Plop a 30%+ wealth bonus admin on a developed world full of financial centers and you have a real economic powerhouse that can feed a massive research and construction budget. Unless you have a whole bunch of + wealth creation guys, it's not as easy to do that with a bunch of colonies.

A benefit to building them off earth is you can use earth for something else, like as a major construction and shipbuilding world with all the workers doing construction and exporting things to other worlds.

I had a game where I moved my research to Mercury, built Mars up as a massive financial powerhouse with 4000 financial centers and a 50% wealth bonus admin, and had Earth with a 40% factory production rate boost admin and was churning out installations and ship parts and ordnance and everything with incredible speed. Mars produced around 400k a year. I managed to spend it all though, had construction factories all over the place constantly building stuff and I had 200 research labs on Mercury doing various research. Eventually I got bored of that game and started a new one. That was one of the few games where I focused on turtling up in Sol for a bit before branching out, and while it's wildly effective for making a super advanced race that can kill anything, it's incredibly boring once you CAN kill anything. I even turned the invaders on, and their invasion didn't do so well when faced with an enemy that can churn out enough ordnance in a day to lay waste to their largest ships. Even their special tech doesn't do so well against an alpha strike of a thousand warhead 64 missiles.

edit,
I've build 500 financial centers and I'm at -60 undefined wealth units per undefined time unit now.
I think that'll do..

Hehe, the -60 is for each construction cycle - just short of 5 days. Unless you hit a 30 day turn, in which case I think it shows the total for the month. You must be spending a lot to have 500 new financial centers and still be in the red.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6761 on: September 11, 2011, 12:53:06 pm »

Spoiler: income and outcome (click to show/hide)
This is the first game where I do not have a (insert mineral) crisis so I don;t know if i'm spending a lot or not.
It is my 32nd year btw. As you can see, most of my outcome are my research labs.
As soon as Mars gets a col cost of 0 (terraforming is sloooow) I'll transport half my pop there and hopefully see my first civvie ship.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6762 on: September 11, 2011, 01:19:09 pm »

I think I just expand much more slowly than everyone else so I rarely have money problems.  I'm always short on either mercassium or duranium.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6763 on: September 11, 2011, 01:21:53 pm »

The reason I expand quick (I guess) is that I'm not short on any mineral. Which is because of my geo team.
I'm gonna try and give them all an Geological badge or something

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: September 11, 2011, 02:01:32 pm »

A ship armed only with 4000 size-1 box launchers. Madness?

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 1347