Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813084 times)

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3870 on: March 25, 2011, 12:27:38 pm »

Pop and Production screen > Teams/Academy > Open Officers Window > Civilian Admins > Select one with a suitable R > Select planet > Assign
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: March 25, 2011, 12:45:44 pm »

I do that, but it just says "Promoted to Civilian Administrator". :-\

EDIT: Ok, I figured out what I was doing wrong, that is the most unintuitive things I've found in this game so far.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:02:11 pm by Hugehead »
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: March 25, 2011, 01:28:53 pm »

EDIT: Ok, I figured out what I was doing wrong, that is the most unintuitive things I've found in this game so far.
So you haven't found half the features in the game yet?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: March 25, 2011, 01:31:41 pm »

I still can't figure out missile lines or whatever they're called, where you can just upgrade the missiles and they all get grouped. Or missiles that fire more missiles. This is why I stick with energy weapons, despite their disadvantages. Although, chasing down an enemy ship and tearing it apart with a thousand cuts is very satisfying :)
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: March 25, 2011, 03:15:38 pm »

Another 20 year game cut short by the Invaders. As luck would have it, I had just moved my main combat fleet away from Earth to battle with a different alien race I'd pissed off (I thought they were a pre-tech civ, but it turned out it was a colony world of a larger stellar empire - whoops.) Of course, shortly after the fleet left, 5 Invader ships pop out of the jump point that's a mere 150M miles away from Earth (closest I've ever seen one in the Sol system - inside the orbit of Mercury): three 450 shield ships and two 750 shield ships.

Anyway, I'm left with 2 PDCs and 3 combat fleet ships that had literally left their construction slips about a week ago. Each of the PDCs mounts 100 missile launchers, and each of the fleet ships has 50. Unfortunately, my main fleet had just left with all the new warhead size 6 missiles, so all my defense fleet is left with is an ancient cache of warhead size 4 missiles (although they've got about 1000 of them.)

I'll tell you right out, there's nothing more depressing than seeing over 100 missiles hit something all at once and for it to not even penetrate armor. If I'd had either my new missiles in stock, or if the fleet had been in orbit, I almost certainly would've won the engagement, but as it is, Earth is now a radioactive hunk of rock and the largest population of Humans outside of the Sol system is a tiny 1m refuling settlement.

I'm tempted to turn off the Invaders next game, but their wrecks have such juicy technology... and I have to admit, they make life more *fun*.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: March 25, 2011, 03:42:55 pm »

Extensive tutorial on OOBs/Taskgroups/Taskforces anywhere? The one on the wiki is just a wall of text and doesn't really tell you anything.

I can get some tincans up into the sky, but how do I organize shit? Why wont it let me assign officers, ships etc all on one screen? Is my brain just not built for this interface? Why is the sky blue?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: March 25, 2011, 03:45:15 pm »

Huh. How do you assemble terraforming facilities? Never mind. They're assembling them automatically.

EDIT: Any good designs for a starting player?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 04:01:39 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: March 25, 2011, 04:28:38 pm »

Is my brain just not built for this interface?

It's not you.  The interface is terrible.

I can think of several possible reasons for it, though:  First and foremost, the game evolved piecemeal (apparently it started as an aid for Starfire games), so the interface and gameplay elements weren't well-planned ahead of time.  Secondly, Steve is supposedly less focused on making a user-friendly game for others as he is a game he wants to play, and being the sole programmer he knows the game/UI well enough to get things done despite its flaws.  Lastly, it's also possible he's just not a great interface designer, which is pretty common, really.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3878 on: March 25, 2011, 04:36:07 pm »

I'm tempted to turn off the Invaders next game, but their wrecks have such juicy technology... and I have to admit, they make life more *fun*.
You can play for a while with them off and then turn them on later IIRC

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: March 25, 2011, 04:43:47 pm »

AlStar, do you think you will ever have enough missiles to take down what was depicted on the image in this post? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47678.msg2027981#msg2027981 <- There are 38 ships there simultaneously invading Sol plus some more that didn't fit into the screenshot plus a few already destroyed.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: March 25, 2011, 04:49:08 pm »

It's strange that I have some neutral aliens parking their 20 ships on Earth and not doing anything at all.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: March 25, 2011, 05:05:47 pm »

It's strange that I have some neutral aliens parking their 20 ships on Earth and not doing anything at all.
"We come in peace. Take us to your leader. NOW!"  :D

I can think of several possible reasons for it, though:  First and foremost, the game evolved piecemeal (apparently it started as an aid for Starfire games), so the interface and gameplay elements weren't well-planned ahead of time.  Secondly, Steve is supposedly less focused on making a user-friendly game for others as he is a game he wants to play, and being the sole programmer he knows the game/UI well enough to get things done despite its flaws.  Lastly, it's also possible he's just not a great interface designer, which is pretty common, really.
I get that, but it never ceases to amaze how convoluted and weird these one man show types of games become.
The interface of Aurora is hinting at the depths beneath it and is half of what makes me want to play it. I just can't seem to grasp this TG/TF part of it.

So no tutorials aside from the wiki then?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: March 25, 2011, 05:07:37 pm »

I get that, but it never ceases to amaze how convoluted and weird these one man show types of games become.
The interface of Aurora is hinting at the depths beneath it and is half of what makes me want to play it. I just can't seem to grasp this TG/TF part of it.

So no tutorials aside from the wiki then?
Not really. Just ask things here. It's not like this thread has a surplus of posts or something.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: March 25, 2011, 05:24:16 pm »

AlStar, do you think you will ever have enough missiles to take down what was depicted on the image in this post? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47678.msg2027981#msg2027981 <- There are 38 ships there simultaneously invading Sol plus some more that didn't fit into the screenshot plus a few already destroyed.

Honestly? Unless I was preparing for it, probably not. That said, it doesn't look impossible; most of those look like they're the smallest invader type - a 'mere' 330 shields. If my batch of Invaders had been 330s instead of 450s, Earth would still be around. (I was inflicting ~400 points of damage with each 200 missile volley my PDCs fired off.) The main problem with Invaders is that you need to hit them for their shield strength either 1) in one giant volley or 2) really, really quickly (like, over 10 damage every 5 seconds); otherwise their shields just charge back up to full.

Since Invaders move 10k/sec this becomes quite the problem, since unless your engine tech is at least as high as theirs is, you’ll never get close enough to fire energy weapons at them and they’ll just laugh at you as they stay 2m miles away, blasting you to pieces. Missiles are the other option, but you’ll need a _lot_ of them. 

Perhaps I've been lucky, but I've never seen that many Invaders in one place before - the most I've ever seen in any one place in my games is about a dozen.

That said, even a single 1500 shield invader is enough to make you want to cry – but even it’s not impossible to kill – if my fleet had been there, I’d be firing 12(ships)x50(missiles)x6(damage)x~45%(accuracy vs 10k) = 1620 damage, enough to probably kill one each salvo.

Any good designs for a starting player?

You don’t mention what you’re looking for, but here’s some basic designs that I use in my games, which use tech that you more or less start off with:

Missile Cruiser
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Scout / Geo Survey Ship

Missile PDC

GeoSurvey Ship

Freighter

Most of my other commercial ships (colony ships, terraformers, jump gate constructors) are just built off the freighter hull. If you design them correctly (I'm not certain what exactly the conditions are,) you can use one commercial shipyard to build all of them without refitting.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: March 25, 2011, 05:25:11 pm »

Another 20 year game cut short by the Invaders. As luck would have it, I had just moved my main combat fleet away from Earth to battle with a different alien race I'd pissed off (I thought they were a pre-tech civ, but it turned out it was a colony world of a larger stellar empire - whoops.) Of course, shortly after the fleet left, 5 Invader ships pop out of the jump point that's a mere 150M miles away from Earth (closest I've ever seen one in the Sol system - inside the orbit of Mercury): three 450 shield ships and two 750 shield ships.

Anyway, I'm left with 2 PDCs and 3 combat fleet ships that had literally left their construction slips about a week ago. Each of the PDCs mounts 100 missile launchers, and each of the fleet ships has 50. Unfortunately, my main fleet had just left with all the new warhead size 6 missiles, so all my defense fleet is left with is an ancient cache of warhead size 4 missiles (although they've got about 1000 of them.)

I'll tell you right out, there's nothing more depressing than seeing over 100 missiles hit something all at once and for it to not even penetrate armor. If I'd had either my new missiles in stock, or if the fleet had been in orbit, I almost certainly would've won the engagement, but as it is, Earth is now a radioactive hunk of rock and the largest population of Humans outside of the Sol system is a tiny 1m refuling settlement.

Restart humanity with the refuelling colony. Win the game. Be awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 1347