Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813504 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3360 on: September 26, 2010, 02:27:13 pm »

Its the gravity that gets you. Unless you significantly up your gravity tolerance you'll never be able to live on the smaller planets and moons. If you set gravity tolerance at the start at like 90% you can colonize them.

The only moons you can colonize in the Sol system without crazy high gravity tolerance are the ones that have their gravity set way higher than it should be, like Callisto and Titan.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: September 26, 2010, 02:52:00 pm »

Ugh I want to start playing this again but I keep getting flashbacks of all the problems.

Any changes in the past months?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: September 26, 2010, 02:55:19 pm »

Its the gravity that gets you. Unless you significantly up your gravity tolerance you'll never be able to live on the smaller planets and moons. If you set gravity tolerance at the start at like 90% you can colonize them.

The only moons you can colonize in the Sol system without crazy high gravity tolerance are the ones that have their gravity set way higher than it should be, like Callisto and Titan.
You can also research gravity tolerance and create a new low-g human race to improve the amount places you can put colonies on.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3363 on: September 26, 2010, 03:01:57 pm »

Yea, it has limits though. If you start with the default you still can't get high enough to colonize Luna at -50%.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: September 27, 2010, 12:52:00 am »

ok ... what about Orbital Habitats? Is it a way to simulate domed population?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: September 27, 2010, 12:57:43 am »

That's basically what infrastructure is. Domes.

With a good atmosphere you don't need the infrastructure.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: September 27, 2010, 01:13:06 am »

ok ... what about Orbital Habitats? Is it a way to simulate domed population?
Yep. Just remember that they're expensive to build, you have to tug them to their location, and it often takes a lot of them just to sustain a few million people. So I suggest you only use them when having a colony is a MUST on that particular planet. So if you're thinking about putting Orbital Habitats on Luna due to the lower-than-minimum gravity(I'm guessing you are due to your previous posts) for a colony, don't bother, colonize Mars or some other planet with acceptable gravity instead.

Yea, it has limits though. If you start with the default you still can't get high enough to colonize Luna at -50%.
Wrong. 0.5(-50% gravity tech)x0.3(normal starting gravity difference tolerance)=0.15. And Luna's gravity is 0.17.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: September 27, 2010, 01:23:19 am »

Wha? When were orbital habitats put in???

Where can I find the patch notes?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: September 27, 2010, 01:29:25 am »

Version 5.20.

Steve didn't make any patch notes for 5.20 but here's his post with him showing the Orbital habitats off before 5.20 was released.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: September 27, 2010, 03:17:20 am »

No they are not  :D

There is a relatively good chance that Man will have a permanent base on Luna before the end of century, right? These people there (scientists mostly?) will live under Domes, with an artificial gravity closes to 1g ... And they won't care about the gravity of Luna, or its external temperature, lack of atmosphere.

That's what is missing in Aurora. Infrastructures seem to be 'life support on the planet', but it is assumed that you have the people live at the surface, breath the atmosphere, suffer from the gravity, temperature. With domes, you don't care about that. Sure, you can't put Domes on Venus as easily as on the Moon though...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3370 on: September 27, 2010, 03:53:43 am »

There is a relatively good chance that Man will have a permanent base on Luna before the end of century, right? These people there (scientists mostly?) will live under Domes, with an artificial gravity closes to 1g ... And they won't care about the gravity of Luna, or its external temperature, lack of atmosphere.

That's what is missing in Aurora. Infrastructures seem to be 'life support on the planet', but it is assumed that you have the people live at the surface, breath the atmosphere, suffer from the gravity, temperature. With domes, you don't care about that. Sure, you can't put Domes on Venus as easily as on the Moon though...
They really are. Infrastructure is an abstracted "Everything you need to survive". The harsher the environment, the more infrastructure per population you need because the more life support equipment is needed. You don't have them 'breathing the atmosphere' because that would kill them. You have them inside a pressure-sealed colony (not necessarily a dome) with machines to provide the right air mix, food, etc.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: September 27, 2010, 03:55:42 am »

Ehh? They aren't? I don't beleve you. Infrastructure allows people to breath air the infrastructure produces instead of the planetary air (if it has any), like domes. They allow people to live on a cold or hot world, like domes. As far as I see infrastructure may not be domes specifically, but they might as well be since they preform the same job.

But how will they produce this artificial gravity? They certainly can't create it by rotation like orbital habitats since the base is on the moon and it would be affected by the body's own gravity and it be extremely difficult and awkward to try and connect rotating buildings together. They can't create it by linear acceleration unless they create a gigantic railroad across the entire body that's connected to every single building on the body. They can't create it by using lots of mass because... Well, you'd need a lot of mass. You can't use Tidal force gravity for land bases. Magnetism would be very expensive and is generally untested.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3372 on: September 27, 2010, 04:09:59 am »

Oh oh, I read a book where they made a long 'railroad' around the circumference of phobos and ran a long train around it at high speed then lived on the 'ceiling' of the train.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3373 on: September 27, 2010, 04:35:12 am »

Version 5.20.

Steve didn't make any patch notes for 5.20 but here's his post with him showing the Orbital habitats off before 5.20 was released.
Just read that, and I have to say this more than anything else has me tempted to start playing again. I'm imagining a ship with 500k people worth of cryo transport and orbital habitat space, plenty of cargo space, and mining equipment. Fly it out to an asteroid or moon, mine the minerals while the onboard geosurvey team looks for new deposits, then pack the mines and minerals up and move on.

Massive steel space locusts.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: September 27, 2010, 05:25:02 am »

Mmmh, I can understand what you say ... because gravity can't be altered on the surface of a planet, you say that infrastructures can also represent Domes. Yes, I can accept that ... except that this is a sci-fi game which has technologies like jump gates and shields. So why not gravity generators? And thus, I demand (I'm joking) that infrastructures also allow the creation of artificial gravity, so I can colonize Luna with them.

By the way, how it is planned thus to have a base on The Moon (in the real world I mean), if low gravity is such a problem?

edit & addenda: I believe that what I'm trying to say is ... I can with enough infrastructures have colonists on worlds that are ante chambers to Hell, like a world with a temperature of 400°C, extreme tectonic, atmospheric pressure of 100 made of sulfuric acid ... right?

But I can't drop a domed outpost for say my scientists on Luna. Why? Because gravity is not ok...

that's my problem... This is a sci-fi game. I would have expected that there was also a tech allowing to control gravity, or whatever, so I can put some closed labs on Luna...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:32:29 am by vorpal+5 »
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 1347