Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814134 times)

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3090 on: April 20, 2010, 02:26:09 pm »

Finally got around to installing this, and... Glitches right up the arse. Sloppy, just sloppy. Not worth the effort, in my opinion.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3091 on: April 20, 2010, 03:17:01 pm »

Finally got around to installing this, and... Glitches right up the arse. Sloppy, just sloppy. Not worth the effort, in my opinion.
It will be fun once its had some polish, and has a real UI.

Decimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: April 20, 2010, 03:56:13 pm »

We get it.  You don't like the game.  You can stop trolling the Aurora thread now.
Quote from: Duke 2.0
Urist McMood: Must have... Glass!
 Kogan McHauler: We were able to get a few pieces from some encrusted trinkets. Hopefully, thats al-Oh CRAP we don't have any fuel!
 Urist McMood: That won't be a problem...
 *Starts bending metal with his bare hands*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3093 on: April 20, 2010, 04:02:02 pm »

We get it.  You don't like the game.  You can stop trolling the Aurora thread now.
Responding to someone else is hardly trolling.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: April 20, 2010, 04:32:13 pm »

Responding to someone else is hardly trolling.
Especially when the response is putting the game in a positive light, if anything it's the opposite of trolling.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3095 on: April 20, 2010, 04:38:28 pm »

Indeed. I love the game, I just hate the interface. I still play the game despite the interface and despite the bugs, just like I still play DF despite the interface and bugs.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: April 20, 2010, 04:42:29 pm »

Indeed. I love the game, I just hate the interface. I still play the game despite the interface and despite the bugs, just like I still play DF despite the interface and bugs.

I'm sure I would love the game too, it's exactly the kind I play a lot, but as of yet I've been unable to get past the interface.

I'm sure I'll try it again soon though.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Malek Deneith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: April 21, 2010, 08:34:57 am »

I salute people who managed to learn and start playing this game - I tried myself, especially since that AAR linked here brought back memories of Starfire series books, which I like (well first four anyway), but all attempts at starting the actual game resulted in me staring blankly at tons upon tons of numbers thrown at me for five minutes than turning off the game.

I think I now know how people that can't get past DF interface feel :/

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: April 21, 2010, 08:49:26 am »

I think I now know how people that can't get past DF interface feel :/

Yer, it's just disappointing to see a game that looks good but being unable to play it isn't it.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: April 21, 2010, 01:31:47 pm »

just create your own version of Aurora, PROGRAM IT!!!!

with glitzy 3d graphics etc :)

Ill be your first tester.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: April 21, 2010, 01:45:36 pm »

I hope that was just a bad joke, if not then I will have to kill you.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3101 on: April 21, 2010, 01:51:54 pm »

I hope no one took my comments as criticism against the game. I think the idea of the game is great, and the progress steve has made so far is amazing. My only beef is that currently the game's interface is a large barrier to entry. That isn't a problem really, just something I'd like fixed. Steve has doing a remarkable job so far, and continues to do so.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: April 21, 2010, 03:46:26 pm »

I'm intrigued by this... I'm working my way through the tutorial on the Wiki, and we'll see how it goes. Any tips you learned the hard way that you'd care to share (no problems with the install or resolution, thankfully)?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: April 21, 2010, 03:55:16 pm »

I'm intrigued by this... I'm working my way through the tutorial on the Wiki, and we'll see how it goes. Any tips you learned the hard way that you'd care to share (no problems with the install or resolution, thankfully)?
A bit of a spoiler, but an important spoiler. You don't have to read it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And it's a good Idea to research a bit before genetically modifying your people, since you can not modify them again, and if their total population is less then 5% of your empire's total population, you will get unrest.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3104 on: April 21, 2010, 04:01:02 pm »

And it's a good Idea to research a bit before genetically modifying your people, since you can not modify them again, and if their total population is less then 5% of your empire's total population, you will get unrest.
Does this apply even if the people are on their own colony, on another planet? And how severe is the unrest?
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 1347