Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815076 times)

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2715 on: March 21, 2010, 11:58:45 pm »

I tried to register on the Aurora forum.  However, the Aurora forum registration mechanism is broken.  The captcha repeatedly states that I am entering the code incorrectly.  Moreover, though the header on the forum states that guests can post on the New Player pages, the New Player pages still require registration.  Can a registered player please reach out to the creator of Aurora to let him know other players would like to participate but cannot due to the broken condition of his forum?
Worked yesterday when I registered.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: March 22, 2010, 12:02:26 am »

I know that, I was just hoping anyone else had a use for it other than the selected uses, why am I so unlucky to have two of the most useless minerals in such a high quantity?

Also, I have a grand total of five completely habitable planets/moons in Sol, try to guess them all, [tip, I have a gravity difference tolerance of .902 (G)].

earth
mars
titan

venus

mercury

Luna
Ganymede :)

Told you I had .902 grav tolerance. ::)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: March 22, 2010, 01:08:14 am »

Check Jupiter's moons. Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto should be habitable, with some infrastructure or terraforming to give them atmosphere.

I finally braved the jump gates again. This time I learned my lesson... sorta. I equipped a cheap "Jump Explorer" with a single engine, a jump engine just barely large enough to get that ship through the warp, and a small gravitational sensor. Since I'm playing with realistic stars off, I got some really weird solar systems. The first one was a single planet with 40 some odd survey points. I may explore those with mark 2 gravsurvey ships, but not now. The second was was most promising, 2 viable colonies with no visible sign of precursor or alien life. The third had two wrecks, and being foolish I decided to investigate. My survey ship ate a cluster of 4 size 24 missiles.

I have a feeling that that was a Precursor PDC, since my active sensors would have detected an actual ship. It really sucks, actually, that planet is perfect in terms of temperature and gravity and close on atmospheric pressure, I would just need some infrastructure for the gasses (methane and sulfur dioxide, nasty stuff). On the bright side, there's another less suitable but still viable planet that's a few billion km away from that planet and closer to the rest of the galaxy, and both the second and third galaxies have plenty of asteroids to search. Now I just need to get my civilian lines to actually build cryotransport ships. You're sure you don't need to tool a shipyard to build them?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: March 22, 2010, 01:32:23 am »

Check Jupiter's moons. Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto should be habitable, with some infrastructure or terraforming to give them atmosphere.

I know, that's specifically why I added the .002 to .9, so I could live on Ganymede, it apparently has a gravity of .998 or simular.

I have a feeling that that was a Precursor PDC, since my active sensors would have detected an actual ship. It really sucks, actually, that planet is perfect in terms of temperature and gravity and close on atmospheric pressure, I would just need some infrastructure for the gasses (methane and sulfur dioxide, nasty stuff)

try making something I thought of some time ago, an Inter Planetary Balistic Missile (IPBM) by making a very long range missile, unfortunately it does not have that long of a range, so its likely you will have to fire from a ship  :(, well, might as well try experimenting with missiles on that base (as long as you don't mind damaging the planet)! :P
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: March 22, 2010, 04:48:35 am »

...Now I just need to get my civilian lines to actually build cryotransport ships. You're sure you don't need to tool a shipyard to build them?

If you have a valid colony ship design and a potential colony with some infrastructure on it - just wait. It can take a year or three. To speed things up a little - donate some wealth to civilian shipping line. 5000 should be enough if your ship designs are not ridiculously expensive.

narskie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: March 22, 2010, 08:29:30 am »

What's a good design for a planet defense system?  I tried to make one, but I couldn't find a tutorial on the website so I probably put components on it that were unnecessary.  Like does it need fuel/ engines?  I wasn't sure if it's a orbital thing or just a ground defense thing. 

Also I haven't gotten to the point to use the jump gates yet but how do they work?  Do you need to use a jump gate construction module on them in order to travel through or will the jump drive alone suffice? 

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: March 22, 2010, 08:51:38 am »

step1- Design colony, cargo and luxury liners even if you yourself are not going to build them soonish.
step2- Designate a viable colony*
step3- Profit!

stimulating:
-civ econ tech
-existing colonies that have empty lebensraum
-investing in companies
-building civ spaceports?

*I think you need to actually initiate a colony by sending a first load of colonists, even on col0 cost planets.
I'm not sure infrastructure is required per sé, civvies will bring colonics up to (a single load past) the maximum population, so at least some is required on planets less than 100% suitable.

---
a good defence system.
Only mobile defence(ships) need engines.
PDC's can be built much cheaper and are not restricted in size by your shipyards.
fuel is required if the PDC has components that use fuel (shields).
furthermore, remember that beam weapons don't work in atmosphere, so are useless on most valuable planets. (Xpt: meson)

Big powerfull missile systems are the way to go, (supported by antimissile defences) add massive sensors/controll systems that would be ineffective on ships giving an advantage in range and a first strike.
Armour can be piled on to maximum, this depends on how long and how many there are supposed to be built as well as role. Bases that only carry a single salvo of missiles (silos) don't require massive armour, the controllcentre with active sensors etc does.)
Mines can be a good defence as well, but remember that planets orbit, so as they should be deployed just before the enemy closes, they don't need to have a long lifespan. (more like scattershot submunitions then mines)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 09:04:15 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: March 22, 2010, 09:26:50 am »

I have a feeling that that was a Precursor PDC, since my active sensors would have detected an actual ship. It really sucks, actually, that planet is perfect in terms of temperature and gravity and close on atmospheric pressure, I would just need some infrastructure for the gasses (methane and sulfur dioxide, nasty stuff)

try making something I thought of some time ago, an Inter Planetary Balistic Missile (IPBM) by making a very long range missile, unfortunately it does not have that long of a range, so its likely you will have to fire from a ship  :(, well, might as well try experimenting with missiles on that base (as long as you don't mind damaging the planet)! :P

Sigh, I was afraid I would have to start investing in missile tech. I never even saw the PDC, so it's probably less than 4000 tons (which was what I ballparked would be the bare minimum for a precursor warship). The only other planet in the system is an absurd distance away, the precursor planet is on an orbit akin to Jupiter while the other habitable one is in a Venus like orbit, so IPBM's might be a bit ambitious. However, a good fleet with missile defenses and long range missiles might be effective.

Also I haven't gotten to the point to use the jump gates yet but how do they work?  Do you need to use a jump gate construction module on them in order to travel through or will the jump drive alone suffice?

Once you've built a jump gate, any ship can go through it. Jump Gate Construction modules are only needed to build the gates. Jump Engines allow you to jump without a gate. Since Jump Engines are heavy, it's usually in your best interest to build permanent gates to any system you plan to stay in long term.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 09:37:31 am by Grendus »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: March 22, 2010, 09:41:28 am »

Civvies will start shipping colonists as soon as the new colony has infrastructure (if needed) in it. Even if said colony is created on an enemy planet purely to unload troops and attack the hostile population. I think the Ban Body in the System View window would help in this situation, as long as you ban the planet before the companies start shipping the colonists.

As for planetary defense, missiles are a good option, but you mustn't forget fighters. Even if their fuel stores would only last for a day or so, that's plenty of time for any battle, and depending on engines, they could have ranges of billions of kilometres.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: March 22, 2010, 10:06:38 am »

Amazingly, my survey ship was unharmed. Either the missiles were targeting something else (perhaps an NPR was also besieging the precursors?) or they were short range missiles and ran out of fuel (as soon as they came up on radar I high tailed it out of there). Or maybe a bug, can't tell which.

Either way I scanned the fourth jump point. Three habitable planets, and not a precursor in sight. After traversing the whole system, my ship is still alive. That's good enough for me. No asteroids though, just 10 planets and a superjovian gas giant. One of the planets is mars-like, so it's already viable for colonization.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 10:15:22 am by Grendus »

narskie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: March 22, 2010, 11:27:43 am »

Thanks for your responses, but I'm even more confused about defense bases now.  What are silos?  Don't the PDCs load from your planet stockpile?  Are you saying PDCs and ships need a special silo/storage compartment to take missles from in order to fire them? 

Also what are mines?  Maybe my research hasn't gotten that far but I haven't seen any mention of them. (I'm assuming you mean the kind that blows up when a ship gets near it)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 11:40:59 am by narskie »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: March 22, 2010, 11:36:22 am »

Landmines or mineral mines? You build mineral mines in the industry tab, then if you want them somewhere else you haul them out there with ships with cargo bays (usually dedicated freighters). Alternatively, if you research Asteroid Mining Module you can build mine ships at your shipyards. These will only mine asteroids (confused me when I tried to mine Io with a fleet of them), but they're very efficient and good for clearing away those asteroids with 50 minerals or so that would be inefficient to haul a mine to.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2727 on: March 22, 2010, 12:37:53 pm »

Don't the PDCs load from your planet stockpile?
Yes, they CAN load from the planet's stockpile but this takes a 'long' time in terms of combat. It is much much faster if they reload from internal magazines.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: March 22, 2010, 01:22:05 pm »

Mines from what I gather, are similar to real life US Navy CAPTOR mines.

I haven't tried making any myself, but from what I gather you design and research a missile that the mine will fire.  After that you design the mine itself which I think is a buoy with sensors and a second stage set to fire off your missiles.

I think once the buoy identifies a hostile target, and the target comes into the separation range for the second stage it will fire off the missile(s) and they will strike the hostile.  The missiles might need sensors as well, I donno.  Like I said, I never actually made and deployed any.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: March 22, 2010, 01:47:16 pm »

Amazingly, my survey ship was unharmed. Either the missiles were targeting something else (perhaps an NPR was also besieging the precursors?) or they were short range missiles and ran out of fuel (as soon as they came up on radar I high tailed it out of there). Or maybe a bug, can't tell which.

Either way I scanned the fourth jump point. Three habitable planets, and not a precursor in sight. After traversing the whole system, my ship is still alive. That's good enough for me. No asteroids though, just 10 planets and a superjovian gas giant. One of the planets is mars-like, so it's already viable for colonization.

Apparently you came across a Precursor mine, I, myself, have never hit one before, but you gotta hate Precursors for making it harder for new races to explore the galaxy. ::)
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 1347