Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1211 1212 [1213] 1214 1215 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809928 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18180 on: July 04, 2016, 12:56:31 am »

Nah, they still have their shields. Which can appear even more daunting than they should, if you don't know the trick to them. Pretty sure that Invader salvage can still give you the special techs like the better fuel storage that you can otherwise only get from ruins, too.

And it's all relative. A couple systems of Precursor ships are an absolute nightmare for a TL2-3 civ but don't even count as a speedbump for a TL6-7 civ. Swarm are a nightmare to deal with right up until the point where you can make laser ships that can outrange the Queens and clear the Soldiers faster than they can close the distance, and a joke after you can make ships longer ranged and faster than the latter.

Invaders just have a higher threshold of difficulty because they have better tech. It's why I so often play my campaigns on 500-1000% difficulty and give the NPRs time to build up, since there's a point where you're going to outclass anything 1:1, so the closest you can get to a tough fight is 1:100 odds.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18181 on: July 04, 2016, 01:00:23 am »

Did they completely lose their shield tech too?
Invaders have been coy in my recent games and I've seen no evidence of it, but I thought it was still around.

Btw, some of the special tech seems to not work properly atm. Compressed fuel storage and advanced lasers at least.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:03:20 am by Alastar »

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18182 on: July 04, 2016, 11:17:37 am »

Invaders don't have shields anymore, just lots of armor.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #18183 on: July 04, 2016, 12:31:20 pm »

The hell did he do that? They were flavorful, now they're just overpowered.

So how much faster than the enemy ship does a dropship need to be to have 100% landing probability? Is it 20x? In that case, how the hell am I supposed to do that? 100'000 km/s is so hard to do, I'd need a 10'000 ton ship mostly made of engines!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18184 on: July 04, 2016, 12:33:28 pm »

The hell did he do that? They were flavorful, now they're just overpowered.

So how much faster than the enemy ship does a dropship need to be to have 100% landing probability? Is it 20x? In that case, how the hell am I supposed to do that? 100'000 km/s is so hard to do, I'd need a 10'000 ton ship mostly made of engines!

20x, yeah. The usual way to do it is to make a fast ship and then try to take out most of an enemy's engines with battle damage before boarding.

If you could reliably board undamaged enemy ships it would be completely broken. It still works great against civilian ships.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18185 on: July 04, 2016, 12:45:08 pm »

Or you can accept some casualties.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18186 on: July 04, 2016, 01:11:34 pm »

I wouldn't worry about zero casualties, marines are a renewable resource and cheaper than engines.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18187 on: July 05, 2016, 12:47:19 pm »

Or you can accept some casualties.
I wouldn't worry about zero casualties, marines are a renewable resource and cheaper than engines.

The Imperial Guard right there, people.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18188 on: July 05, 2016, 05:18:21 pm »

If they didn't want to risk tumbling through space until their life support died they shouldn't have stepped into the pod.

3. Run Resize Enable

hemperor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18189 on: July 05, 2016, 10:44:50 pm »

I tried to play this game a time ago and i was strucked by smaller display blablabla 1600x900 but with the reduced height parameters w/ ResizeEnable activated seems that some menus and options of the games becomes missing! how works this around??!?!?!? thanks!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18190 on: July 06, 2016, 01:09:44 am »

You have to fiddle with the sizes to make sure that all of the menu elements still appear. It's not always entirely intuitive how the program compresses them, but once you know how to do it you can do the same thing every time. I found a configuration that worked on every window at 1024x768 so you should be able to work it out unless you're trying to play on some microlaptop or tablet. If you just drag them smaller carelessly you'll usually end up with stuff hidden or squashed into uselessness.

3. Run Resize Enable

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #18191 on: July 06, 2016, 04:41:28 am »

One follow-up note: if you're dealing with a persistent enemy with no ability to repair armor and limited inter-system mobility (read: Precursors) that you likely won't be able to beat in one go, suicide runs with carronade-armed FACs and corvettes can help trim back their armor so that during the real engagement your kill-shots are more likely to do critical damage sooner. As long as you have enough that at least a few manage to get shots off, that's permanent armor damage done to tough targets for relatively low cost.
The depressing part about this is that lasers still do better at alpha striking suicide runs, per size and cost. Infrared reduced size lasers of max size, firing in tandem, as well as a main spinally mounted reduced size laser as well.

Considering that, ton for ton, lasers do the same damage as plasma carronades, and cost less at the tech level that leaves them with the same range specs...

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18192 on: July 06, 2016, 05:52:28 am »

Lasers will erode less armour and get more hits on the vitals instead... which can be repaired.
So Flying Dice is technically correct, whether that's a reason to use carronades is a different matter though...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18193 on: July 06, 2016, 06:03:55 am »

Lasers will erode less armour and get more hits on the vitals instead... which can be repaired.
So Flying Dice is technically correct, whether that's a reason to use carronades is a different matter though...

vitals can also explode, so there's that

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18194 on: July 06, 2016, 01:14:35 pm »

I still wouldn't use carronades, they're pretty shit, just giving a fringe case. You can out-tech the Precursors in a few decades anyways.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1211 1212 [1213] 1214 1215 ... 1347