Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 897 898 [899] 900 901 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814824 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13470 on: April 21, 2013, 07:43:23 pm »

Point blank triggers no matter your PD weapons range but it will not trigger if the missiles jumped from outside of your active sensor range in a single 5 seconds increment.
If that's the problem, I don't really know what to say.

Oh wait, yes I do: Myopic sensors are bad, m'kay?  :P

Because seriously, at most you need a 250k km sensor range for the <MSP6 category (that's assuming 50k km/s speed, which is above just about everything you'll have shot at you, barring certain hybrid weapons used by a certain set of campaign-killers)-typical Precursor AMM speeds that I've observed peak at the low 40k km/s range-and that's not a challenge even at very low tech.

Code: [Select]
Active Sensor Strength: 50   Sensitivity Modifier: 50%
Sensor Size: 250 Tons    Sensor HTK: 1
Resolution: 1    Maximum Range vs 50 ton object (or larger): 2,500,000 km
Range vs Size 6 Missile (or smaller): 272,250 km
Range vs Size 8 Missile: 400,000 km
Range vs Size 12 Missile: 900,000 km
Chance of destruction by electronic damage: 100%
Cost: 50    Crew: 10
Materials Required: 0x Duranium  50x Uridium

Development Cost for Project: 500RP

There's a design for a TL1 anti-missile sensor. It only needed to be 4.75x size to cross that threshold, and that's with the absolute shittiest bar-none sensor tech you can have. It'd take some dedication to make a sensor so ineffective that it can't pick up missiles before they cross the sensor's effective range, though I'm guessing that what happened is that they assumed that the HS1 detection radius was applied to everything. Despite the very next line in the description saying otherwise. Eh, IDK. o.0

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13471 on: April 22, 2013, 08:43:26 am »

While unlikely, ensure that your fire controls and weapons are assigned properly and that your FC has the PD settings assigned properly.

Son_of_Orion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13472 on: April 23, 2013, 02:38:40 am »

I try and try to figure this game out, and I just end up just as confused and frustrated as I was before. I'm constantly struggling with the damn interface. DF may be abstract, but I was able to figure out how to control the damn game in a decent amount of time, but not with Aurora. Worse yet, I never know if I'm doing things right. I don't know how to properly design ships without looking at a guide, so I never know which design is feasible, and which isn't. I'm having a lot of trouble setting up the most basic things like asteroid miners and offworld colonies. I have so much trouble with the basics that I'm downright terrified of designing and controlling combat ships. :P

I know I have to experiment, but experimenting ain't very fun if you have no idea what you're doing, and how things will turn out. I really wish I could just figure things out like I can with DF, but I can't. :/ I don't want to give up on this game, though. So frustrating.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13473 on: April 23, 2013, 02:55:54 am »

You aren't going to get much sympathy here as they hit the "I played so long I see no problems anymore" point.

You just have to keep playing over and over again and walking over each stumbling block in your way.

Learning how to go around the interface is 90% of the difficulty to this game. Once you mastered that the game is a relative breeze. So think of the first boss as the UI.

Son_of_Orion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13474 on: April 23, 2013, 05:22:02 am »

Guess you're right. That hit the nail right on the head, really. I just need to buckle down and just focus on understanding it. It's the most difficult UI I've seen in a game, so it won't be easy, but eh, I'll give it a shot, nonetheless.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13475 on: April 23, 2013, 06:26:48 am »

Guess you're right. That hit the nail right on the head, really. I just need to buckle down and just focus on understanding it. It's the most difficult UI I've seen in a game, so it won't be easy, but eh, I'll give it a shot, nonetheless.

Do tell us if you get anywhere, I've been wanting to play this game for years now but the few times I've tried I found the UI pretty impossible and moved onto doing fun things instead. The lets plays for this game keep making me want to try again though.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13476 on: April 23, 2013, 08:41:13 am »

@Son_of_Orion

You can ask if you're unsure of something or you could try searching the myriads of posts here. The answer will most likely be there, hidden by the piles of posts.

Son_of_Orion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13477 on: April 23, 2013, 10:16:40 am »

Do tell us if you get anywhere, I've been wanting to play this game for years now but the few times I've tried I found the UI pretty impossible and moved onto doing fun things instead. The lets plays for this game keep making me want to try again though.
Same here. The thing that keeps me coming back to it is how customizable, detailed and dynamic it is, despite the numerous headaches the UI caused me. If I knew how to do so, I could set up the galaxy in any way I wish. That just astounds me. I love procedural narratives in games above all else. It's why I love DF, too. :P The only other 4x game I know that comes close to Aurora is Distant Worlds. It's a lot easier to get into, and it's great in its own right, but nothing stands up to Aurora in terms of detail.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13478 on: April 23, 2013, 10:22:23 am »

Yeah, if you have any specific questions, we'll be ecstatic to answer them. What's tiresome is when someone just posts "OMG this game is so confusing, how does it work!?" because there's no way to answer that.  :P

I'll take you through the basic processes of colonization, though, so you can point out what you don't understand about it:

1. Build freighters and colony ships. In short, all these need to be are a cargo hold/some cryopod modules attached to the basic ship setup (bridge, engineering space, fuel tanks) and a commercial engine (25x size and 0.5x power, IIRC, is the dividing line between military and commercial). Make sure they have enough fuel to reach your new colony.

2. If the world you want to colonize is already at 0.00 cost (you can see this in the Environment tab of the F2 (Economics) window or the F9 (SysInfo) window), all you need to do is drop off colonists. Otherwise, you need to drop off infrastructure.

3. Construct infrastructure in the Industry tab of the F2 window. Use the Task Groups window (F12) to load it onto your freighters. Order the freighters to move through the jump points between your homeworld and the new colony (if there are any), then to unload the infrastructure on the colony. If you want to deliver more, you can add a return trip to the homeworld and a refueling order to this chain of orders and then use the repeat order box to duplicate it.

4. Once you have infrastructure in place, order your colony ship(s) to load colonists on your homeworld and follow the same route as the freighters, except dropping off colonists instead of infrastructure.

Dropping off colonists or installations on a planet automatically founds a colony there; you can also do it manually in the F12 window. Once you have a colony with infrastructure and a population, your civilian companies will begin automatically moving more colonists and infrastructure of their own there, so you don't have to keep up shipments. Do note, however, that early on civilian companies won't have the funding to do much. If you open the Ctrl+L window, you can subsidize civilian shipping lines to allow them to produce more and larger ships to jump start their activity.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #13479 on: April 23, 2013, 01:04:53 pm »

I don't know how to properly design ships without looking at a guide, so I never know which design is feasible, and which isn't. I'm having a lot of trouble setting up the most basic things like asteroid miners and offworld colonies.

To echo what other people have said, if you can be specific about the problems you're having, we can probably be more useful. It's certainly the case that, in ship design, the interface doesn't really warn you about when you do things wrong, or just changes a value someplace that you didn't realize was important.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #13480 on: April 23, 2013, 01:50:54 pm »

At what point does it become more economical to build a transforming module for a colony planet as opposed to shipping in infrastructure?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13481 on: April 23, 2013, 01:57:15 pm »

Depends what you want to do. If you only want it to farm transport taxes, you don't need to bother with it. I usually terraform all my colonies, but it's mostly for fun.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13482 on: April 23, 2013, 02:38:01 pm »

Key for me: whenever I felt my motivation flagging, I read more of Steve's NATO campaign, hot damn that was good stuff: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/board,112.0.html
Of course it was for an earlier version, but it's high enough level that MOST of it should still be pretty close.  For mechanics, there was another pretty good AAR on the goon forums that I kind of lost track of when it hit a lot of RP, and another on the paradox forums - I remember it was by Blue Emu.  Again these were for v5 not 6, but again MOST of the stuff stayed the same, a few key mechanics changed.

And yea, just chug through it, knowing you'll probably abandon a few games (although unless Earth is totally destroyed early on, you really CAN usually keep playing, know that you'll just hit other bottlenecks if you think you figured out your "main" problem heh).

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13483 on: April 25, 2013, 05:11:12 am »

Been busy setting up a new game for a possible story I could make though not sure yet if I'll really do it. I've tried writing before on an imageboard but the attention required made me stop after a few months.  :-\
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:12:51 am by Crimson »

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #13484 on: April 25, 2013, 07:56:09 pm »

I want to use the default orders for my freighters to delivery automated mine to mining colony... But how do I designate a colony as such? I created a colony on a comet, but they are not delivering.
Pages: 1 ... 897 898 [899] 900 901 ... 1347