Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d16] Chasm waterfall shouldn't de-populate underground rivers  (Read 865 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At the start of the first spring after embarking I "found" my site's underground river... but by that time all of the creatures in the river had been swept off by the waterfall that plunges into the chasm/shaft which is the river's exit from the site.
That isn't any fun.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: [40d16] Chasm waterfall shouldn't de-populate underground rivers
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 12:44:42 am »

I've noticed this problem with the really short maybe 20 tile long and then chasm drop off underground rivers.

I haven't noticed this problem when an underground river spans at minimum 2 region tiles.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 01:51:32 am »

Mine's about 60 tiles long and it still has that problem.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 01:54:51 am »

For what it's worth, this particular problem won't exist in the next version, since underground rivers won't truly exist anymore and you'll get more underground creatures immigrating to your map other than what you start with.

Of course, the general problem (creatures are idiots about being swept away over cliffs by water) persists.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 06:24:24 pm »

Won't exist any more? How's this work out? What underground water would there be then?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 06:30:44 pm »

Won't exist any more? How's this work out? What underground water would there be then?

The new underground water will probably be more like water-filled caverns.  Here's why cave rivers have been taken out for now:

Quote from: LumenPlacidum
Will other underground features use these caves as a framework?  Will cave rivers run through it with subterranean pools forming lakes?  What will actually differentiate these from the actual surface?
Quote from: OsmosisJones
More to the point though, with this underground revamp, is there any plans with getting rid of the bizarre beginnings for cave rivers, so that they don't appear out of nothingness?

We were planning to run rivers this time around, but it's something of a hassle, so there aren't actually any flowing underground rivers yet.  They aren't essential for most things, as the giant lakes will provide infinite water from edges, but it'll be nice to put them in.  Not sure I'll have time.  Regarding the rivers appearing out of nothingness, it's kind of a tricky question, as rivers can be sourced by many different tiny water flows slowly building up as things go downhill, many of them just absorbed water in the ground.  Nothingness isn't all that different from that, especially if we don't want to put slight aquifer water everywhere that kind of forms into neglible trickles or something, as mining would then be a great hassle any time you also wanted to have a river starting up.  Real world examples of underground rivers sources (sources as in the beginning of a river, not a reference, though I guess that's an inadvertent pun) that are more interesting or modellable are welcome.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 01:50:01 pm »

Oh wow, that looks awesome!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.