Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stopping Immigrants  (Read 13100 times)

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stopping Immigrants
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 08:36:08 pm »

You know, this gives me a fun idea for a fort that would really take advantage of the burrows system for the next version.
Oh, so barrows are going to be released next version? Has Toady announced a (possible) release date yet, or...?
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 09:26:08 pm »

the surge from ~10 dwarves to ~50 tends to leave my fort such a confused mess I abandon it

If getting migrants is too messy for you, then you might have OCD.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 10:20:08 pm »

Actually, the guy who did the community fort Merchantswims accomplished this in an interesting way.

Before worldgen, edit the RAWs so dwarves only live 2 years. Generate a new world, then edit the RAWs again to bring dwarves back to the original population.

Because dwarves couldn't live past child age while the world was being generated, dwarves became extinct. When you edit the age back, you can then embark and not a single site will have dwarven civilization on the list. That way, there is no immigration, but there is also no dwarven caravan. Granted, there are still other types of caravans around. (I figure you could probably do a similar fix to erase other caravans though)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 10:26:43 pm »

I don't get it. How can you even embark with no dwarves around? Last time I generated a world where no civilizations survived, all I could do was view legends and play adventure "play now"-style as a human.

Also, how will editing raws after worldgen do anything for the dwarves' population? Either I'm slow in the head due to being tired (it's almost half past four AM over here), or you're not making any sense.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 01:47:50 am »

It's possible to stop immigration by embarking on an island, but your embark has to be completely surrounded by water so that NO land touches the edge of the map. If you do this, then you will live in complete and total isolation.
On editing the raws, go to raw->objects->creature_standard.
from there you can edit not only dwarves, but elves, humans, goblins, kobolds, etc...

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 02:52:23 am »

the surge from ~10 dwarves to ~50 tends to leave my fort such a confused mess I abandon it

If getting migrants is too messy for you, then you might have OCD.
Did you get that from my need to center the entrance to my fort either in a smooth cliff wall or the dead center of the map, or my need to assign chairs and tables of the same quality together as dining rooms?  ;D

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 04:53:21 am »

You actually can prevent migrants with the pop cap. Set it to ten, and use a utility to embark with ten dwarves. You'll never get any more. (I use Tweak for this, but I imagine one of the more common ones would work just as well.)

Alternatively, you can quash both immigration and childbirth by setting one of your baby/child cap numbers to zero.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 05:10:09 am »

It's possible to stop immigration by embarking on an island, but your embark has to be completely surrounded by water so that NO land touches the edge of the map. If you do this, then you will live in complete and total isolation.
Only as long as the local map is a square. Otherwise, immigrants will appear anywhere, even inside you fortress.

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 05:46:07 am »

You actually can prevent migrants with the pop cap. Set it to ten, and use a utility to embark with ten dwarves. You'll never get any more. (I use Tweak for this, but I imagine one of the more common ones would work just as well.)

Alternatively, you can quash both immigration and childbirth by setting one of your baby/child cap numbers to zero.
Low caps work now? The wiki suggests nothing below 20-30 is actually recognized as valid.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 06:00:11 am »

The only way to truly prevent immigration is to embark on an island where none of the edge-tiles are land. Thus, nothing can enter your map whatsoever. These are ridiculously hard to find.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 08:01:40 pm »

I have determined that one can prevent the caravans from arriving by editing the entity raws to remove the seasons.  I did it a few years after embarking, and I never saw another caravan or liaison.  Presumably doing it immediately after embarking would prevent the liaison from ever arriving.  Isn't it the case that no migrants will arrive until the liaison arrives for the first time?  If so, then that should also take care of any immigration.  I think you would want it to be normal for the world gen, though, so that the civs can spread normally.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.
Pages: 1 [2]