Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Don't butcher fire imp corpses  (Read 1764 times)

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Don't butcher fire imp corpses
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:57:31 pm »

I know, I know, it's common knowledge already. But I just have to rant about this. I had a little fire imp problem (one got into my plumbing under my forges because I put in a rock grate instead of the iron one by mistake), so I stationed marksdwarves, pulled up the grate, and boom. No more fire imp. Easy.

But when I wasn't looking, my butcher ran off to dress the corpse. Which started fires all over the damn place. I lost two champions (I'm not sure how; I wasn't looking, remember), and two BIG food stockpiles. Once the fire got into the food, I just decided to wall off those stockpiles (each 100 tiles in area) and write them off. One of the fortress cats slipped out of the second food stockpile RIGHT as the last wall section was being put up; I've nicknamed him lucky.

My two champions ended up stumbling to bed when the fire hurt them, which was good. I was able to just lock their doors and wait for the fire to consume them. They burned to death horribly, but at least nobody tried to claim their still-flaming stuff or their red-hot armor or whatever.

Bottom line? Don't butcher fire imp corpses. And put doors EVERYWHERE, 'cause it'll save you having to throw up walls around flaming food stockpiles.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Don't butcher fire imp corpses
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 09:02:35 pm »

I butcher fire imp corpses all the time.  Fire imp tallow roasts are very tasty.  They only burst into flame less than half the time.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 09:05:22 pm »

I like those odds!

Seriously, though, I'm two for two on fire imp … well, fires. I guess I just have bad luck.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 09:11:24 pm »

The title is very misleading. Please consider "Butchering fire imps is dwarfy" to be more accurate and balanced.

And the arguments for doors everywhere is nearly endless. This is just one of them.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 09:36:03 pm »

I butcher them so that I can have fire imp leather for my artifacts.

If a dwarf claims an artifact and then bursts into flame because of it, well, I guess he wasn't truly worthy to wield it after all. :)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:25:39 pm »

I had a near-tragedy in my last fort involving fire imp butchery. I freaked out, but the butcher ran out of the workshop quick enough to evade the exploding tallow.

I'm considering putting up a block of fire imp soap in my butcher's room as commemoration.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 01:57:51 am »

Yeah, I've had fire imp fat set my main food stockpile on fire.  Just gotta wall it up and wait for it to burn itself out.

My latest fort has nonviolent fire imps.  There's a magma tube, and I've made holes in the top so I can dump stuff in, and holes in the side so I can drain stuff out.  They've sat in there peacefully for an entire decade.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

DwarfOfDefeat

• Bay Watcher
  • Reproduces through Mitosis
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 03:54:24 am »

hmmm do the list say freindy or wild animal?
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elder berries!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 09:52:14 am »

They will always be wild animals. They're just lurking near the bottom of the pipe. Like magma men, usually.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 12:07:24 pm »

They do say Wild Animal.  One thing I did do differently, the holes on top were made channeling down through the rock cover on top of the pipe, rather than digging in horizontally to the top ledge.  Perhaps the imps' pathing engine can't see these holes?
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 02:02:35 pm »

Well, as far as I know, unmodded imps can't fly up and out of the hole.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 02:30:20 pm »

Well, as far as I know, unmodded imps can't fly up and out of the hole.

That must be fixed!

Also, imps should be both flying and a civilization so they can siege.

Flying fire imps wearing iron armor shooting fireballs from the air every season.

MUST DO THIS   :D

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 03:16:47 pm »

Unmodded imps can get out of the hole just fine, in my experience.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 03:48:41 pm »

Although I don't know how they do it, I have personally witnessed a fire imp escaping through a hole above the magma pipe. Or rather, I witnessed the destruction when he lit my booze stockpile on fire and torched four of my founding 7.

However, butchering fire imp corpses does produce a fire imp fat vapor which is lethal, if a dwarf gets caught in it. Sounds like you had some fun.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 07:06:58 pm »

I've played with imps modded so they could breed for a while, and set up a fire imp pen for all the expensive bones and leather.

This was before hearing about the fire, afterwards I made the butcher's workshop right above my entrance, and had a hole channelled next to it(Right above a stockpile to be filled with wooden bins) I was so hoping to use it against the next goblin invasion, but the goblins never came, my computer stopped working and I lost the fort before I could try burning invaders. (Sure, I could use magma, but I like variation.)
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 
Pages: [1] 2