Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "The champion need not spar"  (Read 2491 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
"The champion need not spar"
« on: December 24, 2009, 05:59:55 am »

I seem to have a bit of a problem here regarding the military dorfs... again. This time, the problem is of them not sparring or training.... at all. If they're not patrolling killing wolves and carp or the occasional goblin ambush, they're in the barracks, just sitting around doing nothing. I have several archery ranges, more than enough for all 9 dorfs, and I have enough weapons for each hand of every dorf, but I don't know why they're no longer sparring. And just to simplify things, they're all in the same squadron, and they're all off duty right now.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "The champion need not spar"
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 07:31:07 am »

Have you tried removing the barracks designation, and then putting it back? I've had a similar problem and it got fixed that way.

If it doesn't work, you may want to set a new barracks, I think it may have something to do with the barracks not being big enough for them to spar in.

(And yet another time I had a similar problem it was solved by designating a barracks from a weapon rack instead of a bed)

I hope this helps, good luck.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 09:34:31 am »

Brain injuries? Socks in their hands?
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 11:23:39 am »

It's not a brain injury. If they can take on a fleet of goblin archers without getting touched (This has actually happened), they can spar in the barracks as well. The only brain injuries are the unexplainable 'brain scratches' my brother told me was a bug in this version of the game.
Quest Complete! 41/31

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:25:53 am »

Wait,'brain scratches'? Is it a light grey color wound? A brain injury is still a brain injury. Also, which version are you referring to.

I know a light concussion or 'brain scratch' as your brother calls it shouldn't stop a dwarf from sparring in reality, but this is DF, things don't always neccesarily make sense. So, any kind of brain or spine injury, whatever color it is, will stop a dwarf from sparring.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:28:37 am by smjjames »

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 11:33:46 am »

It's light grey, the equivalent of a scratch. don't know how most of them got it, since they've never been badly injured in the head. There's also the neck and spine sprains which don't heal for some reason. and I'm referring to the most recent version.

Wait, I take that back. The only severe wound any of my dwarves sustained in combat was a champion who took a crossbow bolt to the eye. They lost their right eye, but that doesn't seem to hinder them from racking up as many kills as anyone else.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 11:37:33 am »

Use Dwarf Companion to heal their "scratch" if you think that's unfair...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 11:41:21 am »

Your brother is wrong about it bieng a bug and nervous system wounds (brain and spine) never heal.

Its a quirk with DF really.

If you want to clear the slate of nervous wounds, save the game and exit, go to body_default (going to creature_standard also works) in the raws, remove some body part (may want to copy it just in case), restart DF and everybody should be healed, including your one eyed champion, I think. Then save and close DF, replace whatever it was you removed, and then restart DF.

Edit: Using Dwarf Companion would also work, but whichever method you choose.

The wounds system has been rewritten pretty much in the next release, so I don't know if nervous wounds (light ones anyway) will heal in the next release.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:42:59 am by smjjames »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 11:42:05 am »

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 11:55:03 am »

Your brother is wrong about it bieng a bug and nervous system wounds (brain and spine) never heal.

Its a quirk with DF really.

If you want to clear the slate of nervous wounds, save the game and exit, go to body_default (going to creature_standard also works) in the raws, remove some body part (may want to copy it just in case), restart DF and everybody should be healed, including your one eyed champion, I think. Then save and close DF, replace whatever it was you removed, and then restart DF.

Edit: Using Dwarf Companion would also work, but whichever method you choose.

The wounds system has been rewritten pretty much in the next release, so I don't know if nervous wounds (light ones anyway) will heal in the next release.

I should have explained. What he said was a bug was the heirarchy of the internal organ placement. What he said was the game listed guts as being on the outside of the body rather than the inside, and that's how parts like the brain or the stomach end up getting wounded, but not the head or lower body. And hopefully light wounds will be healable in the next release, because I've personally sustained a spinal injury twice before and they've fully healed.

Lost Requiem cancels rest: Unconscious
Quest Complete! 41/31

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 12:16:53 pm »

Well, champions do heal up very quickly and so it would be easy to miss them getting a head wound at the same time as the brain injury.

To go with what you said about back injury, the brain is a very plastic organ and has the ability to 'rewire' itself from an injury. This gets less so as you get older, but I would put something like a stroke as a yellow brain injury since they are pretty debilitating. Sure a bad concussion would take some time and perhaps physical therapy to deal with, but it can be overcome.

As for the organ heirarchy, I'm not sure if its actually that way, but the tissues and stuff have been basically re-invented in the next release.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 02:40:01 pm »

I should have explained. What he said was a bug was the heirarchy of the internal organ placement. What he said was the game listed guts as being on the outside of the body rather than the inside, and that's how parts like the brain or the stomach end up getting wounded, but not the head or lower body. And hopefully light wounds will be healable in the next release, because I've personally sustained a spinal injury twice before and they've fully healed.
As I recall, this was a bug during the development of the new version that got fixed. Brains being wrapped around the skull and such. It was never in 40D.

Also, the spinal injuries in question are to the cord itself, most likely, and the spine itself is abstracted.

The wounds without the outer portion being damaged bit isn't entirely accurate either. It's more that the assorted parts that are considered the nervous system (Brain, both spines, and... maybe other things) don't heal, while the Head and Upper/Lower bodies do, leaving the interesting situation of a perfectly healthy dwarf that has brain damage.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 02:55:04 pm »

Yep, you drop em on their heads a few times, and a couple years later the bruise is gone, but they are still left drooling.  :D

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 05:07:37 pm »

The title explains it, actually. Champions are perfect army dwarves and don't need to train, as far as I recall.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 05:37:26 pm »

As I recall, this was a bug during the development of the new version that got fixed. Brains being wrapped around the skull and such. It was never in 40D.

Right, here's the related entries:

02/21/2009: The combat/hunting/sparring reports work. You can view adv mode style messages by creature and category (comb/hunt/spar) now and all of the announcements have associated dates. Those that have associated locations are zoomable from the announcement/report screens. I also messed around with the text some more... a work in progress. It's also highlighted some strange issues, like with the brain pretending to be outside and all that.

02/22/2009: I fixed the brain problem. As expected, it was flipping all of the relations so that the brain was around the skull, and the lungs and heart surrounded the ribs like ribs, that sort of thing. Various work with combat text and balancing the numbers out. Handled attribute increases over time with practice for combat and a few other places. Made skills get rusty over time (this was done for attributes previously) and eventually degrade. It's a very slow process, so it's not something to worry about unless you completely reassign a dwarf for a number of years or change their weapon for a long while, etc.
Pages: [1] 2