Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fences?  (Read 1532 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fences?
« on: December 22, 2009, 12:28:19 pm »

Is their anything i could use as a fence? shorter then a wall but cant pass through it but can see through it?

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fences?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 12:31:32 pm »

Wooden fortifications maybe?  Build a wooden wall then carve fortifications into it.  You could also try building some stone grates at your mason's workshop.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 12:40:27 pm »

I was thinking grates but can you build them without them being next to walls?

and no fortifications, my imagination won't let me see them as fences  :P

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 12:43:58 pm »

I think so.  I've never tried it but I figure grates are like flood gates which you can build anywhere.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 12:46:22 pm »

Wooden fortifications maybe?  Build a wooden wall then carve fortifications into it.  You could also try building some stone grates at your mason's workshop.

You can also build fortifications directly, though they won't be load-bearing if that matters.

Wall grates of any kind(wood or stone) work similar to built fortifications, but can also be rigged to a switch to open.

Grates are NOT like floodgates. Floodgates block fluid, grates do not. And I'm pretty sure floodgates already CAN be built anywhere. Floodgates are like doors that can be built anywhere, but A) need to be linked to mechanisms and B) have a delay in their operation. Grates specifically don't block fluids - and I'm not sure about projectiles; someone may be able to weigh in on that.

Short version: Fortifications(possibly with grates to serve as gates) are probably the closest you can get to a "fence".
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 12:47:25 pm »

Yea, wall grates can be built standing alone. In fact, I installed an artifact grate in the middle of my dining room in my last fort as a wall grate. Not to mention using them in drowning chambers, etc.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 12:48:12 pm »

Vertical bars, maybe? I've been using them to stop caravans coming along my brook, but I don't know if it's possible to see through them.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 01:22:12 pm »

Both grates and vertical bars should work, and neither of them provide any hindrance to visibility or ranged weapons. Both can be linked to levers and take 100 ticks to open/close, just as floodgates. Grates can be made of stone, wood, or metal, while bars can be built from metal, soap, ashes/potash/pearlash (yes, they come in bars), or even charcoal/coke (for extra Fun if you have nearby magma).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 02:04:39 pm »

If you're looking for something you can see through, but not mover or shoot through, there's always windows.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 08:01:00 am »

If you're looking for something you can see through, but not mover or shoot through, there's always windows.

Can dwarves see through windows? I thought that all frniture blocked sight(exept of course bars and grates)

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 08:04:31 am »

Can dwarves see through windows? I thought that all frniture blocked sight(exept of course bars and grates)
Yes, they can see through windows.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 05:09:14 pm »

Semi-related question, doubt anybody will know, but... I saw wooden fences in some Stonesense screenshots and was wondering what you actually use to create that effect? It looks really neat.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 06:38:51 pm »

I think they used grates...hang on...got a fortress with a fence made of grates around the stockyard (purely for looks, a wall would have worked just fine)
..checking...
Well, I don't know if it's exactly what you saw, but my row of grates looks rather like a fence in stonesense.  The only tricky spot is the corner, where the tiles don't match up just right.  You might want a post there, if you want it to look pretty in stonesense. 

Oh, and grates do not halt arrows--I've used them to contain goblins at a shooting range before, and they didn't block anything.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 07:59:41 am »

Could have been Vertical Bars you saw, we portray them like fences of sorts :)

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 10:29:27 am »

I understand some people use gear assemblies and horizontal axles.
Pages: [1] 2