Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Age of Experiment  (Read 1274 times)

RyanW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Age of Experiment
« on: December 21, 2009, 10:13:47 pm »

Just for grins, I'm going to set up a world to gen until some godawful huge numbered year, let the gen run over night, and report my findings. If nothing interesting happens, I'll repeat the experiment until I get bored with it.

The only two modifications two vanilla (other than things like color parameters), will be the dates to generate to, and an increase in megabeast size (which makes them last much longer).

Anyone is invited to join me.
You went the wrong way Old King Urist

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Experiment
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 10:22:28 pm »

I think the max time you can gen for is 10,000 years.

Gen a world as big as you can for 10,000 years, add extra-aggressive civs, tell us about the kickass battles!

EDIT: In fact, I am doing this. I just put every -man as a civ in it's own self, made a large world, and am genning till year 10,000. I'm at about 1000 at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:48:07 pm by Doomshifter »
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 01:23:16 am »

Guess what? If you open the world gen TXT, you can make it LONGER.

I set it to a million years right now. I'll just abort and keep when I'm extremely bored. I'll also add a post when it gets past 10,000 so I know it worked, but I see in the advanced parameters screen that it accepted the values.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 01:27:57 am »

A MILLION? LOL!

Too bad DF doesn't simulate technological progress.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 01:36:52 am »

A MILLION? LOL!

Too bad DF doesn't simulate technological progress yet
Fixed.

Sort of. I remember Toady saying something like this would be possible, but not likely. I dont know, ignore me.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 02:29:24 am »

Presently at 13,000. I have confirmed that yes, this DOES work.

Edit: But it's been the Elven Age for the last 11,000 years. I've noticed that without mods, you rarely see age changes or notable civ movements after the first few thousand years.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 02:32:55 am »

Presently at 13,000. I have confirmed that yes, this DOES work.

Edit: But it's been the Elven Age for the last 11,000 years. I've noticed that without mods, you rarely see age changes or notable civ movements after the first few thousand years.
If you'd like, I can post the raws for my extra civs.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 02:42:16 am »

Heck, why not?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 03:15:25 am »

Heck, why not?
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1703

BARELY TESTED MOD, make sure to follow instructions. I might improve it when I'm not so freakin' tired.

RyanW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 11:55:04 am »

I had to stop my first attempt prematurely. Year is "only" 5721. Next run will be longer.

Last megabeast (a titan with 357 kills) died in 971, killed by one of his worshipers, Rosmic Treatyspin. Treatyspin lived in the town of Handlehandles, and didn't kill anything except Thad the titan.

Three of four goblin civs are still ruled by demons, the fourth was shot (and eaten) by an elf that has otherwise led a peaceful life (and has just celebrated his 5618th wedding anniversary).

Sadly, no 1000+ kills (that I've found, anyway). I saw a 1025 kill demon in a 700 year history, which partially inspired this experiment.

The last several decades have been an on-again-off-again war between a dwarven civ and a goblin civ made up primarily of dwarves. There are only 20 goblins left in the entire world, most of them thousands of years old. The dwarves will declare war, attack the dark fortress, and sue for peace.
You went the wrong way Old King Urist

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 03:38:26 pm »

I *must* try this...

Technically, the world I am generating will stop at 10k years, but I increased practically everything, from volcanoes to civilizations to max creatures...

At the present rate, I expect it to take three hours to finish... (1 year in just over a second)
Eh?
Eh!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 04:44:54 pm »

Like I said- use the TXTs to enter numbers it wouldn't let you enter normally.