Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me kill dem Elves!  (Read 818 times)

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help me kill dem Elves!
« on: December 21, 2009, 07:38:30 pm »

Elf caravan right now. I had no military, how do I kill these little snobs?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Help me kill dem Elves!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 07:52:49 pm »

You wouldn't be able to kill them even if you did have military.
What you need to do is construct a death trap of some sort, be it a drowning chamber, hot lava(though, you miss all the goods), or some other contraption.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 08:04:03 pm »

Oh! Well I just walled them in and they are starving. I have a small army of about 5 marksman dwarfs now. That combined with my siege engines and my various traps should be enough to handle early sieges and ambushes... I hope  ;)

Edit: They all went insane and started killing each other. Only one is left standing, I hope he starves to death so I can remove the walls and take my goodys  :D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:12:45 pm by atomicwinter »

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:41:53 pm »

Drowning chambers are fairly easy and quick to set up, are always a delight to plan and construct, and don't require anything special in the way of materials.  It'll get the job done a lot quicker than walling up the caravan every season.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:48:05 pm »

Drowning chambers are fairly easy and quick to set up, are always a delight to plan and construct, and don't require anything special in the way of materials.  It'll get the job done a lot quicker than walling up the caravan every season.
Will take in mind  ;D. How do I remove these walls ahh! When I try to select them it goes to my trade depot or my other stuff nearby

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 09:13:15 pm »

Walls once built can be removed by going to the designations menu and Remove Construction.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 09:18:49 pm »

No reason to make things more complicated when they have to be (not until the late-game, anyway :P ). Just place a ballista or two and take shots at the wagons.

Or just deconstruct the trade depot once they've offloaded, as this deconstructs the wagons, too. Though this is a bit of an exploit, I guess.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 10:39:15 pm »

The walls worked fine. Another elf caravan had the nerve to come trade with me. Needless to say they are walled in and all stricken with melancholy whatever that means. This is the largest and longest time I have ever kept a fortress. I sure hope I get a siege or an ambush sometime soon, I would love some action  :D

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 11:03:12 pm »

How DO you set up a drowning chamber for uppity elves? I assume like a small pit with ramps leading into it with the depot inside. Then fill it with water while elves are inside. But after that, I'm lost. Don't have a clue how to get the water out of there to claim my useless elf goods.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 11:14:14 pm »

Something I enjoy very much: build drawbridges with deep channels under them, then repeat them when the elves come so that they fall and splatter on the cave floor.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 11:14:49 pm »

Code: [Select]

Z0:
    WWWWWWW
    WDDDDDW
    WDDDDDG
 ~~sSDDDDDG
    WDDDDDG
    WDDDDDW
    WWWWWWW
      ^^^

Z+1:

FFFFFFF
FFFFFFF
WWWFFFF
FFSsHFF
WWWFFFF
FFFFFFF
FFFFFFF
  VVV

W= Wall
D = Depot
~ = Water source
sS = Screw pump pumping toward big S
G = Raising drawbridge
F = Floor
H = Floor hatch.

When the elves come to the depot and unload, pull lever to raise drawbridge and then have a dwarf pump the room full of water.  The hatch on the roof is to keep anything that happens to be able to swim from escaping.  Once the room is filled with 7/7 water you can stop pumping and wait for the elves to die.  After they are dead open the floor hatch on the roof and pump all the water back out to your water source (I leave the plumbing up to you) and then pull the lever to open the drawbridge and claim your lootz and dead elves.

I hope this makes sense, I really suck at making diagrams like this :\
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 11:31:03 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 11:46:45 pm »

If you are in a cold or freezing biome, construct your depot in a ditch, and fill it with 2/7 water but keep it heated by magma. When elves enter the depot, cut off the magma. This, I believe, would encase the elves in solid ice, leaving the items yours.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 02:04:24 am »

How DO you set up a drowning chamber for uppity elves? I assume like a small pit with ramps leading into it with the depot inside. Then fill it with water while elves are inside. But after that, I'm lost. Don't have a clue how to get the water out of there to claim my useless elf goods.

I use a pump that carries the water back to the brook.  The whole thing is set up so that when I release the floodgate to drown the elves, it deactivates the pump, and vice versa.  It took a while to build the walls, the levers and the water wheel neccesary, but it was well worth it.

Just don't make the same mistake I made the first time I try this, and put all the operational levers on the inside...