Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: game is messed up how can i salvage my save files?  (Read 620 times)

Keevu

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather be with trees.
    • View Profile
game is messed up how can i salvage my save files?
« on: December 21, 2009, 11:57:43 am »

For some reason the dwarf fortress folder got screwed up. I want to attempt to salvage my world and fortress. Which files and folders should I copy?

Mapleleaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: game is messed up how can i salvage my save files?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 12:28:27 pm »

In the DF directory;

Data > Save > every folder is a region, with or without a fortress.

EDIT: So it would be logical to just copy the Save folder.

Keevu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 12:49:07 pm »

Thank you.  :)

Keevu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 01:25:23 pm »

I tried putting the save folder in a new copy of dwarf fortress and the error still occurs. I guess the problem is with the save file not the dwarf fortress folder. Is there a way I can salvage the world and abandon the fortress? I would like to try that if there is a way, before I give up and create a new world.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 02:03:44 pm »

I tried putting the save folder in a new copy of dwarf fortress and the error still occurs. I guess the problem is with the save file not the dwarf fortress folder. Is there a way I can salvage the world and abandon the fortress? I would like to try that if there is a way, before I give up and create a new world.

You might be able to regenerate the world from its parameters. I'm in the wrong OS right now, can't remember exactly how to export those parameters. I think its accessible through legends.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

shadow_slicer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 02:15:41 pm »

What sort of error are you seeing? Is it crashing when the caravan arrives? Have you done anything with the save files (copied, pasted, etc)?
Before I'd read that you weren't supposed to, I copied and pasted save files, without completely removing the old save, to move them around between computers and my save got messed up. I was able to fix it by removing some of the extra files from the save and adding missing ones from a previous, working copy. Of course I had to guess what files should be there.
For the future though, I recommend using autobackup:SEASONAL in init.txt so you have something recent to fall back on.