Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lostwind, Avernum Community  (Read 2178 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Lostwind, Avernum Community
« on: December 20, 2009, 04:47:41 am »

-Aaarrgh!
A young, slender, black-haired women yelled, making other six Avernites twitch.
-How can you say that axles are broken! It means we're stuck! And who's gonna trade with those slithzerikai on the east!?
Her cherry lips spitted some curses under her breath, stomping on the wagon and it almost slipped into the pool on the right. One of men said quietly:
-We can settle here, and..
-SETTLE HERE!?
She yelled, and then calmed down.
-Settle. In middle of nowhere.
She looked around, staring on various small ponds, swarm of flies of multidute of trees.
-Settle... it's not like we have some other choice. Someone studied the maps?
-Uh, I think we're in middle of The Fenced Mire, and very close to the southern edge of the caverns.
A small Avernite spoke, and whole group stared onto southern horizon, where just a vertical mass of stone stood.
-Mistress Imi, what now?
-We settle down then. What do we have?
The 'fresh' leader asked, getting off the wagon. She made the count by himself, faster than anyone could reply.
-A bronze pick, meant for selling. Two barrels of mushroom beer, barrel of mushrooms, ten bolts of cloth, for selling, a cave cow, pack lizard... and the kitten. Who took that kitten into the wagon anyway? Some perverts you are, taking a kitty for such trip. Oh well, you're staying with us, little buddy.
Imi sighed, petting a small and clearly terrified amber-furred kitty. Then she turned toward other six.
-Okay, I know you're just peasants, but let's be a cooperative group. First, let's choose a name for the... settlement.
-Lostwind?
Someone said, and other nodded. It's pretty windy area and they're lost, a fitting name. Imi scratched her chin, thinking deeply about the name.
-I rather thought of 'Awesomesauce', but 'Lostwind' is a good one. Well, I will be a leader, and since I'm gonna spend propably rest of my life with you folks, trying to survive here... special introductions are in order.

----------

Imi is my character ;)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rowanas:

Flintus:

But those two other are for taking!

Those who died:
-'Dermonster' Ahdongethac, Recruit
-Ushnec Smomanubpo, Recruit

And the gods if you're interested. Cakuth is very fitting deity for swamp-folks, hah.

The location map is 3x3, with brook NW and some hills SE. Rock salt under two layers of soil. Nothing more I'm aware of, since I always pick random places :P The pop_cap is set to 12, so there will be only ONE immigrant wave. Some another lost trading group or something ;)
Mod version: 0.8
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:16:33 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Lostwind, Avernum Community
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 12:59:48 pm »

Nice. I like SwallowedDumpling :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 04:32:14 pm »

any mods?

ill take a human dwarf whatever, mage in training. if no mage, then Wrestler
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 04:39:58 pm »

any mods?

ill take a human dwarf whatever, mage in training. if no mage, then Wrestler

Yes, Avernum Mod by me. No mages... hey, that's nifty idea...

Anyway, wrestler, okay... with a buckler, Pabat likes bucklers, Pabat is yours, is it okay? ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 04:42:18 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 08:45:16 pm »

Ok, I want Sathrel. Hatred of Nephilim sounds like my kinda thing :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 02:39:21 am »

I'll take Thrathnu and he shall farm and have an unatural attatchment to mushroom beer.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 07:33:28 am »

-Well, nice to meet ya folks. May your gods watch over us. We will live... in those hills!
Imi points southeast, at two, grassy lumps of sandy loam and grabs the pick from the wagon, only to let it fall on grass with loud 'THUD'.
-Um, well... who's gonna dig?
-I will... wrestle! We need some guards anyway, with lack of giant lizards chained to gate, yes?
-Um, we don't need them for now... Pabat, yes?
-No, Dermonster.
-Dermonster? It's not a name for girl, and anyway, you said you're Pabat...
-No, Dermonster.
Imi looked at the other woman, her eyebrows going up.
-Hmm... so be it. You!
The leader pointed on the Sathrel, and then on pick.
-Hmm, okay, I think I can do it.
The young woman nodded, grabbing the pick and slowly moving to the south-east. Imi grabbed some cloth and looked on others.
-What are you waiting for? Let's move the supplies there!
-Mistress Imi!
Ushcen shouted nervously, pointing on the south-east, making Imi look there... behind the bushes...
-Those lizards... aren't normal! Mutant lizards! Arggh!

The woman shuddered, zapping to were Dermonster trekked, mumbling something about 'wrestling is fun' and 'bucklers my love'. Sathrel slowly digged into sandy ramps, flattening the ground and then dug a small tunnel into the hillside, giving life to a new avernite settlement...

4th Granite, year 122.

Sathrel, I mean Rowanas (those guys really like changing names... duh) is nice lass, digging steadily in the sandy loam, she seems quite happy about it. I told her to dig two rooms one floor below, where we will have a meeting place and food storage. And small room for sleeping... sleeping in dirt, we even don't have an axe to cut trees and make beds, barrels... all other things. Meanwhile, Thrathnu announced that his name is Flintus from and he's gonna pick up some plants from the swamps around, and even started flattening the grass, saying that we need a farm anyway. And it seems that Dermonster found herself a sparring partner, with whom she started to look after the entrance. Also, she asked for a place to wrestle and train herself. Her family must be a soldier' folks, yes.

And I spotted Tamed and Mothec around the corner, when I went there, they blushed and went back inside. Four days and we have a romance here? I told one of them to scuttle the wagon and bring the wood here.

14th Granite, year 122.

-So as you can see, without tools, I can make beds from the wood we acquired after tearing wagon down.
-I see... do it then, Tamed.
Imi quickly walked into the tunnels.
-Rowanas? How is it going?
-Digging in th' rocks is hard, but I'm working on it... I will have to dig deeper and lower, it's still some sandy clay stuff but there will be some building material in no time!
-Perfect!
The woman in charge clapped, very happy about the progress. She went back, patting on Mothrec shoulder after getting outside. The girl smiled.
-I will try to make some rock furniture. Everyone is trying to do something to make living here, so I will too.
-Perfect, again!
Imi was clearly happy this day, well for now that's it...

The yellow, sickly thin cave cow chewed on the grass slowly, when Imi patted animal on back and took her around the hill...

The Avernites had fresh meat at last.

28th Granite, year 122.

-Noooooo!
A male scream can be heard.
-The lizards! The lizards killed Dermonster and Ushnec!
All four other Avernites rushed through the trees, and quickly found Tamed, sitting before two mutilated corpses, the blood seeping through grass into the pond nearby.

The rest of the day was silent, bar Mothec working with stones on two large, salt coffins and Rowanas digging a small cave in loam, nearby the entrance... The others swore to get revenge upon the mutant reptile, whom they called 'Boracusith', Minedembrace.
----------

Sorry, Dermonster, I just looked away for a while to designate more rock to be mined and when I came back, blargh, they were ripped apart ._.
SigFlags!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 01:57:08 pm »

6th Slate, 122.

Imi silently watched, while Rowanas placed mutilated, legless (one fell into the pond) body of Dermonster in the second coffin, Tamed and Mothec placing lid on first, covering body of Ushnec.
-This is a sad day... they seemed so cheerful at the thought of wrestling... Boracusith must fall!
She spitted on the soil, turning around and marching out of the shallow cave. She didn't seen any of the mutant lizards, but she heard distant hissing, a sure sign that the reptiles are roaming somewhere around. She standed on the highest point of newly build Trading post, when Thrathnu coughed behind her.
-I've took some seeds from the dining cave, they're good for planting... that's a good thing?
-Yes, it is.
Imi replied shortly, making Thrathnu mumble something and move off.

8th Slate, 122.

-It's my lizard!
Tamed quickly embraced the fat, brownish reptile, it made a loud, happy hiss.
-It's just a stupid lizard, and we need food!
-Shmood! How can you butcher such nice, fatty guy?
The male crouched and scratches his new pet' chin.
-Who's my lizard? (Hisss!) You're my lizard! (Hisss!!)
Tamed moved outside, off Imi's range, just seconds before she spitted on him. The leader sat on the chair and started her paperwork. And writing notes.

----------

Journal of Imi Esklosked,
15th Slate, 122.

I never liked trading. My grandfather, a wealthy pig from real Avernum, from Almaria, told me to do so, and before this disaster, it went fine...

Tamed sat in the back cave and started making some ropes and bags. Seems he likes cloth more than making stuff from it, but who cares? Most important he's not slacking off. Rowanas went off mumbling about "I have plan for making well!", but she's away for a day now and I'm worried.

I don't want to ask Mothec for another coffin.

4th Felsite, 122.

Tamed have quite good fingers, sewing soothing, nature stuff onto ropes and bags he made.

And Rowanas said she needs a bucket for a well she made. She dug long tunnel all the way to the brook, and thus wasn't seen around. She made me worried, dammit.

----------

16th Felsite, 122.

Imi was speaking with Tamed about living back there, in nice, cozy towns of Tangled Realm far to the north, when Flintus bursted into the cave.
-We have a problem!
He said loudly, certainly upset.
-What? Oh come on, don't tell me someone...
A tone of defeatism could be heard, the trader still remembering death of two other.
-Nah, not lizards, albeit it can bring doom upon us.
-So? What's it? Speak already!
The leader stood up from her chair, startling a bit both men.
-Umm, problem is, the swamp' soil isn't that good as I thought... seems we're gonna stuff ourselves with mushrooms until someone arrives.
-Don't joke, Comfrey root surely gro-
-No.
Silence fell unto three Avernites.
-Todastools? It's quite warm and-
-Nope.
-Uh, Almaria berries? Cave apples?
The leader started running out of possibilities.
-No and no. The only stuff I see growing, except mushrooms, are wild spiritual herbs. If you're into sweet syrup or some lovely dye, that's it.
-For Cakuth sake...
Imi slammed her forehead on table.
-Live full of mushrooms, just perfect. It's like living in the very Avernum!

Thrathnu didn't looked worried.
-Fine with me. I love mushroom beer. You don't have to drink it if you don't want to! Beer, yum.
He licked lips, not noticing that Imi tries to kill him with her stare.

----------

24th Felsite, 122.

I've decided to work out some defense plan. I told Rowanas to dig some more rock salt - Mothec will fashion it into some crude wall. I'm working hard too, trying to carve some mechanisms from the rocks, and then make some traps that will drop stones upon heads of any dangerous thing that might visit us in future.

I just noticed that Rowanas isn't digging. I asked why. "I'm on break, boss."

I think that she is just lazy.

1st Hematite, 122.

The wall' construction has even not begun (Mothec joined Rowanas on break).

And it has started raining.

Damn my luck.

I think I should start being a douchebag and go sleeping until they come over and beg for guidance, ha!
SigFlags!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 03:38:24 pm »

/sigh...
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 08:23:41 am »

14th Hematite, 122.

Mothec and Rowanas snapped out of laziness and are now working. I've decided to haul some stone from undeground to the outside, it's not that heavy as I thought.

I found something funny - that I and other four are gettign used to this place. Well, it's not like anyone will look for us in the middle of swamp. People back home are propably sure we were eaten by slimes or lizards.

And speaking of lizards - I haven't seen any in few days now. It's suprisingly quiet on swamps. I think the reptiles are planning something.

20th Hematite, 122.

The wall has been completed. The entrace is very wide because of tress blocking path there and there, and you can't cut down a tree with bare hands.

Flintus went out on swamps, to look for other herbs and shrooms, I hope he will be okay. Mothec decided that we shouldn't sleep in draft and went out to make some door. Fine with me.

5th Malachite, 122.

Rowanas found some agates while digging in the rock salt! I asked others if they know how to cut them in shape properly - no one knew.

The pack of wild lizards arrived, but luckily of normal species.

1st Galena, 122.

Late summer already, more and more rain pouring on us. Air is humid and warm, making live here a pain in the ass. After spending some time, I made some sketches of the outside and inside of our little home.

The small cavern contains remains of Dermonster and Ushnec. The floor grate near the wall is our watering hole.

Those ropes in the sides of dining cave are for esthetic purposes. To the right is clothier's workshop and food storage.

That tunnel to the south leads to rock mine and some other workshops. And I decided to cut the agates all by myself, I hope I won't cut my hand off while doing this.

----------

20th Galena, 122.

Imi yawned, just getting up from the bed. She scratched her hair and wondered what to do today, when she heard some stonework going on.
-Mothec, what are you doing?
-Sleepin'...
She replied, waving to the woman from other bed. The trader stretched a bit, and went out.
-Who's making that noise?
-Propably Rowanas.
Tamed replied, tossing the dice on table. Six.
-Aww, come on, you're cheating!
Flintus huffed, upset with another lost match.
-Four to one for me, you're just--
-Hey, were did you got that dice?
Imi asked, pretty sure they didn't had any dice.
-Rowanas made one. And she is down there, still making stuff from rocks.
Flintus replied, grabbing the dice again, but Imi didn't seen the result, as she bursted out, and, following the quiet, short chisel-like noises, she went down. And indeed, Rowanas was here, carefully chopping bit by bit of rock salt with her pick. The cat was sitting behind her, staring curiously at the woman.

-Row, what the hell are you doing?
-Makin' toys, boss.
She replied with that a bit lower-than-usual voice, working with her pick on something that looked like crude puzzlebox at the moment.
-I mean, I got bored and stuff, and there's plenty of stone, so I thought I can use the pick to make some nice stuff and all.
-So you're making toys?
-Not only! I think I will then do some mugs and maybe bracelets and all that.
Imi raised eyebrow, and left Rowanas to not bother her at her work. The leader went up and back into dining hall, staring on the two males playing. She pushed hand forward.
-Give me the dice, Flintus. I will show you how you play with dice.

----------
SigFlags!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 10:42:09 am »

3rd Limestone, 122.

The rest is fed up with drinking water or same old, plain mushroom beer.

You even don't imagine how awful it get when you have to eat only mushrooms. And stiff, old, cow meat stew.

Where are those all salmons boiled in hardonnay? Flour bread with almaria berries?

Oh gods, and I even started drinking water through the grate, I can't stand drinking water from those mugs that Rowanas made from rock SALT.

And now I need to sleep. They rain is persistent, but at least it's colder a bit. I wonder if it will snow there?

----------

14th Limestone, 122.

Flintus was tending to his small field of mushrooms, when he heard something strange. He went to the wall and peeked above it. His eyes widened when he saw...
The male slipped in the mud but didn't gave it too much attention, running into the cave, to the dining room.
-Mistress Imi! It's urgent!
-What, what?
-Please come outside!
He mumbled with tears in eyes, making the leader worried much. She indeed went outside, only to be stunned, noticing those who entered their walls...
-Tamed! Everyone!

There was so much joy - until one of the merchant Avernites coughed.
-Who is...
The woman in expensive-looking clothing pulled out a note from her dress.
-Imi Shoreseasons?
-It's me! Me!
The stranded trader leapt toward the other woman and gave her a kiss.
-Uh, Thratpin Skirtpalace there. Can we get to business?
She asked and turned to merchants, as they began unloading their goods, much to suprise of other stranded Avernites. Imi blinked, mumbling only 'Eee..'
-I mean, the sliths scouts told us, at Tangled Realms, that you aren't lost and settled here. So?
-Wait, you didn't came to our rescue?
-No. We're here to trade with you. Ah yes, what's the name of settlement?
-Lostwind.
-Lostwind of Tangled Realms, that's it... well, can we speak in some other place? We have much to discuss.

----------

16th Limestone, 122.

IT'S RIDICULOUS! The rulers of Tangled Realms decided we will stay here! They even gave me the official position of Lostwind' leader. Then the official asked if we have any demands for supplies.

I barely resisted asking for everything. Well, I asked for expensive wine, plants, dyes, spice, meat, fish, and thread.

That's what they asked us to get next year:

Gems? Armor? COAL!? Ridiculous I say!

And now, off to trade. We will sell stuff that Rowanas made, and some older clothes of our fallen companions. I hope they won't mind.

16th Limestone, 122.

Bought wood, two giant lizards in cages, thread, ropes, barrels of alcohol, meat and fish. They didn't had an axe.

16th Sandstone, 122.

Merchants left, nothing special happening. Rowanas is in the deeps, mining more stone, while I and others trying to make our living easier and better. After some struggle, I managaed to train that pair of giant lizards.

PS: Rowanas told me she found some chalcedonies, and Tamed made some tasty apple pie.

22th Timber, 122.

*Drawn on the page is crude image of heart, Flintus and Imi*

----------

That romance came out of nowhere. They basically haven't spend more than a day (game-time) together in one place... Oh well.
SigFlags!