Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ninjas  (Read 984 times)

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
Ninjas
« on: December 14, 2009, 07:13:15 pm »

I'm beginning to think they exist in DF. With some other stories I've read about military dwarves getting their babies stolen from their arms, and just now getting a report that the legendary local orc siege leader outside my fort getting the arrows stolen from his quiver. I believe we will need to start training anti-ninja squads before they come in force. Beware.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Re: Ninjas
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 07:38:40 pm »

thiefs are not ninjas, thiefs are sneaky too, but a ninja is a spy not a thief.
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 07:54:11 pm »

thiefs are not ninjas, thiefs are sneaky too, but a ninja is a spy not a thief.

Look up ninjas, my friend. I believe there was a few who stole stuff aswell :P
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 08:03:25 pm »

Spies steal secrets... >.>

Besides, in popular culture, the ninja does whatever cool stuff a writer tells it to.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 08:06:27 pm »

And, IIRC, ninjas did whatever cool stuff samuri payed them to do.
Goblins are probably just so ugly that dwarven eyes are adapted not to see them. Or the dwarves are all drunk, which they are.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 08:15:23 pm »

Ninjas were much closer to assassins/mercenaries than spies of thieves. As for their legendary stealth: they wore peasant's clothing, making themselves "invisible" to the samurai. They also weren't amazing fighters, they just had no code of honor, and would use any dirty trick imaginable to win.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 08:15:56 pm »

Ninja basically were the feudal Japanese equivalents of special-force mercenaries.  That included everything from spying, to theft, to assassination, to covert ops espionage and sabotage.

The issue is usually that Dwarves who have something stolen are isolated from the rest of the fort when it happens and the unit that steals from them is faster than they are.  Or their action priority code just happens to put "stop the thief" at a lower level than some other task.
Sanity is for the weak.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 08:32:22 pm »

In reality, the reason ninja wore peasant garb wasn't necessarily to do with covert activity...it had a lot to do with the fact that they were peasants.  Supposedly, the ninja were born from the peasant caste specifically to fight against the samurai caste.  Most of the legends surrounding them come from deceit.  Who cares about reality when your enemy legitimately believes you're a spirit.

Like the samurai, once they're in the field, they're soldiers.  They definitely pulled out all the stops in their efforts to win..or at least to survive.  They also lived off of deception.  The ninja were became quite skilled at covert activity to ensure their survival.  After all, rising up against the dominant force tends to get you killed quickly.