Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Liason offering Sand?  (Read 3262 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Dwarf Liason offering Sand?
« on: December 12, 2009, 12:37:42 am »

I've never seen this before:

I'm playing vanilla DF, no mods except Mike Mayday's pack. I installed the Orc mod recently, but to a seperate folder... and this game was definitely run from the DF folder, not from the Orc Fortress folder.

Since I'm playing on a totally sandless map, I put in a big order. Hopefully, they bring it in bags, not as individual sand grains.

Also... I have Magma but no Bauxite, and my host Civ doesn't trade it.  :(
Never pet a burning dog.

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Liason offering Sand?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 01:08:53 am »

Attempting to recreate.

Edit: Didn't see it on this fortress. I don't have any fortresses up in a area with sand to test it out.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:30:51 am by Whitney »

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 01:39:33 am »

Attempting to recreate.

Edit: Didn't see it on this fortress. I don't have any fortresses up in a area with sand to test it out.

I have no sand on my map. The Liason from Mountainhome is offering to bring me some. Never seen this before, and I was under the impression that it wasn't possible.
Never pet a burning dog.

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 01:40:44 am »

Are you sure? Don't have a small tile in the corner or something? Mixed Biome area?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 01:44:48 am »

its probably something in the mayday mod.  everyone talks about it like its stock, but its not.  i would be curious to see if it comes in bags, or as some sort of bugged boulder of sand.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 01:51:22 am »

Are you sure?

Not entirely, no... my Fortress is just starting up (still the original seven) and this is the first Dwarven Caravan. All the soil I've seen is Peat.

Still... that screen-shot is from the stuff I'm ordering, not from the stuff he's requesting.
Never pet a burning dog.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 01:57:13 am »

That's odd, considering yellow sand stones can't even exist.

Order some at max priority. See what happens.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 01:57:30 am »

its probably something in the mayday mod.  everyone talks about it like its stock, but its not.  i would be curious to see if it comes in bags, or as some sort of bugged boulder of sand.

Mayday is a visual mod, as I recall.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 02:27:37 am »

Mayday is a visual mod, as I recall.

It's a tile set, but it comes with DF files including some standard mods.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 02:40:50 am »

That's odd, considering yellow sand stones can't even exist.

Order some at max priority. See what happens.

I've ordered a bunch... also some Red Sand and some Black Sand (which were also on the list of available Stones).
Never pet a burning dog.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 02:43:13 am »

Given that it's under "stone", I'm almost certain that you'll get a "yellow sand" stone object that you can make constructions and furniture and the like out of.

The real question in my mind is, if you make a yellow sand floor using that stone, can you then gather sand from it?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 03:21:04 am »

Oh, and check your raw files. Make sure your yellow sand is still sand and not stone, by comparing to other sand types and making sure it has appropriate tags.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 03:01:54 pm »

be thankful you have a liaison my did not show up with the caravan and I fear he is dead (as I have no wood supply of my own I am very scard I will never have enough wood)
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 04:30:40 pm »

In my experience, if you don't have a liaison, they bring wood based on how much you have when they come. If you have none and they liaison is dead, they fill the wagon up next year.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 09:38:37 pm »

OK, the Sand I ordered did in fact show up with the next year's Dwarven Caravan. It wasn't in bags, though... it was big lumps of Sand (or perhaps very large individual grains of Sand). Four different sorts... Red, Yellow, White and Black Sand.

I'm going to build a Floor out of it and see if I'm allowed to designate it as a Sand Collecting Zone for Glassmaking.
Never pet a burning dog.

Pages: [1] 2 3