Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 723 times)

El-Ravager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some questions
« on: December 11, 2009, 08:48:01 am »

Hi evryone, I am new. I have been playing DF for a while now and I daresay that I have made some nice progress up the learning cliff, but there are some things I wonder about and cant figure out even after reading the wiki:

1. Is there a way to automate production without micromanaging the workshops all the time?

2. how do I make my military dwarves equip and use the weapons and armor I want them to? It seems to be random if my best shooter takes the wooden crossbow, or the steel one or if he goes wrestling. Yes I have not done a lot withthe military so far...

3. A more of a practical problem I am having with my current map: I have a brook, bottomless pit and lava vent. I want to replace the brook water with lava, so I want to divert the brook into the pit. How do I make sure all the water goes where I want, it seems if I just dig a 4 wide channel not all the water goes into it and I cant figure out how to build a sort of dam in the brook

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 09:12:50 am »

1. Is there a way to automate production without micromanaging the workshops all the time?

On the jobs screen (j) press to access the manager (m) and you can add task which will assign themselves to workshops. It's not perfect but it's the best we have for now.

2. how do I make my military dwarves equip and use the weapons and armor I want them to? It seems to be random if my best shooter takes the wooden crossbow, or the steel one or if he goes wrestling. Yes I have not done a lot withthe military so far...

The only way to stop them equipping the wrong weapon of a certain type is to either lock them in a room with just that weapon or to forbid the ones you don't want them to have. They should always do the training for their assigned weapon with the exception of if they are holding clothes in their hand when they go to pick up the weapon (forbid the clothes in question in that case).

3. A more of a practical problem I am having with my current map: I have a brook, bottomless pit and lava vent. I want to replace the brook water with lava, so I want to divert the brook into the pit. How do I make sure all the water goes where I want, it seems if I just dig a 4 wide channel not all the water goes into it and I cant figure out how to build a sort of dam in the brook

Water spawns in a brook where it enters the map, so to damn it you need to build a wall across it or cavin natural land from above it. To build a wall across it the water has to be of depth 1 or the dwarf will cancel the job.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 09:13:32 am »

1. Your can make work orders for your dwarfs. Make an office (room, chair, select chair with Q, r, make room) and assign you outpost manager (n gives you a list of nobels).

to make a work order, press U, M and then Q. type what you want ie BIN, ROCK DOOR etc.

2. Only way I know is rather long so I wont post it in till on one else posts.

3. not sure thats possible dude, sorry.

NINJA'D!
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 09:29:50 am »

1. http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Manager

2. You'll have to forbid the weapons you don't want him to use, before you change his weapon preference in the military screen.  If he has clothes in his hands you'll need to mark it for dumping and wait until it gets taken away.

3. http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Dam
Since you want the magma to flow down the brook then you can dam it at the same time, just be careful with the magma..
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 10:56:19 am »

1. answered by others

2. as above

3. As it is a brook, you need to channel out the brook tiles before you can actually get into the water or do anything in that space. If you have not noticed that your dwarves can walk across the brook's surface without falling in water, you should notice it now. Rivers and brooks are similar, but behave very differently. Their behaviours can be found in the wiki. I have never seen anybody try to make a lavabrook before, nor have I heard of this being done with rivers (though rivers would have a rather predictable reaction, whereas brooks are an entirely differend bucket of water), and I am very much interested in the results of this experiment.

Best of luck to you.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 11:18:26 am »

On the topic of #3, I'm suddenly wondering what a brook would look like if it was drained and refilled with magma. Would the surface still be cyan/white or would it turn red (or would it just continue to show as "dried up")?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 11:46:25 am »

Hi evryone, I am new. I have been playing DF for a while now and I daresay that I have made some nice progress up the learning cliff, but there are some things I wonder about and cant figure out even after reading the wiki:

You can set the jobs to repeat by hitting 'r' after creating them. Otherwise, like the others said you can use the job manager. You'll want to get intimately acquainted with the job manager, it will save you hours of pain.

There are really two questions here. The first is "how do I get dwarves to equip specific sets of armor or weapons". You'll have to forbid the ones you don't want. This can easily be done if you have a bookkeeper (he's an assigned noble, you have one by default but he needs an office before he starts counting). Go into the [n]obles screen, scroll down to the bookkeeper (he may have a different name, he'll be the only one with the [s]ettings option highlighted) and change his settings to maximum precision. Now, go to a masons workshop, carpenters workshop, or forge and order a chair (you can use one you already have if you have a dining room already). [q]uery the chair, create a [r]oom, and then [a]ssign it to your bookkeeper. He'll go running off and start counting the thousands of stones, seeds, bars, and chunks in your fortress. Note that he's an actual dwarf, so if he was doing another vital task you might want to either assign the bookkeeper's job to another dwarf or wait.

From here, hit [z] and scroll over to the stocks tab. Go down to the weapons or through the individual armor types and mass forbid everything you don't want your soldiers to wear. See, that wasn't so hard...

The second question is "how do I get my wrestlers to use actual weapons when they're assigned". Currently, there are two known bugs working together to cause this problem. The first bug is that dwarves who are wrestling will strip their opponents armor off, but if they're assigned armor of equal or higher rank (a soldier in chain stripping off another soldier's chain leggings, for example), they think they're wearing the leggings and don't drop them. The second is that dwarves who are holding two items in a hand will only perform wrestling functions with that hand. So if a dwarf is holding another dwarf's armor, he'll pick up a weapon but won't use it.

There's an easier way to get them to drop the items in question though. When you're ready for them to switch to weapons, put them on duty and put them in an empty room. Now go into the [m]ilitary options, check the squad's [w]eapon settings, and assign them to be unarmed with no armor or shield. They'll drop everything they're holding and take off their armor, then realize they're naked (since they took off their clothes to wear the armor) and run off to gather their scattered clothing. Now, when they come back assign them the weapon and armor you want. They'll run off, grab their armor and weapons, then come back. Check their inventory, but they should have nothing in their hands and be wearing full armor and have a random weapon of the type you assigned them.

Magma. M-A-G-M-A! Funny word, magma. Say it with me. Ma-gma.

Build a magmaduct, pump magma through it to the point on the brook you want dammed. Easy enough. You may have to channel through the brook tile to get the magma to the water, but other than that it'll work.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

El-Ravager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 11:49:55 am »

Many thanks for the replies and sorry for not saying magma ^^

I cant wait to  finally get off work to try all of this out.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 12:27:26 pm »

On the topic of #3, I'm suddenly wondering what a brook would look like if it was drained and refilled with magma. Would the surface still be cyan/white or would it turn red (or would it just continue to show as "dried up")?

I've now answered my own question - a magma-filled brook looks just like it's dried up, even if both the floor and ceiling tiles are left intact. Strangely, though, pumping magma into a brook that still has 1/7 water in it will cause said water to dry up, even though trying the same thing in a normal room will make obsidian.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:31:03 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 01:26:03 pm »

Here's some step by step instructions on the best way I've found to deal with number 2:

Step 1:  As an example we'll assume you're trying to equip a steel sword on a dwarf that wields an iron sword.  This works easiest if you have most of your stuff in bins.  Go to your weapon stockpile and set it to exclude steel.

Step 2: Create another weapon stockpile and set it to exclude everything but steel.  Your dwarves should start moving all your steel weapons from the first stockpile to your new one.

Step 3: Go into the military screen and set your sworddwarf's weapon to none.  He should either drop it or take it back to the first weapon stockpile.

Step 4: Go over to the first weapon stock pile.  Forbid everything in that stockpile(d,b,f).

Step 5: Go back into the military screen and set your sworddwarf's weapon back to sword.  If done correctly your sworddwarf should go to your new stockpile and choose a steel sword.

You can also adjust your stockpiles to only hold a certain quality of items so your dwarf would only equip a high quality steel sword for example.