Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You cannot kill the world after all - an Adventurer Mode test  (Read 1366 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
You cannot kill the world after all - an Adventurer Mode test
« on: December 08, 2009, 04:05:29 pm »

After seeing so many people talk about the quest to destroy all life on a planet, I decided to do an experiment and see if it could be done.  So I generated a pocket world (for simplicity's sake), and proceeded to guide Fataglimmer Crimsonwhip the Depressed Vanishment of Rewards in her quest to kill everybody alive.  And lo and behold, I turned every Human, Goblin, and Dwarf settlement into a ruin.  I even ruined the Elf sanctuary.

Then I noticed it wasn't dead.  Huh, I figured, maybe I missed someone, and so went back.  Sure enough, new Elf.  I slew him, then wandered for a bit in triumph.

The Elf sanctuary suddenly had people in it again.  I return, and a few Humans and Dwarves are wandering about.  Odd, but can be dealt with.

Halfway to the Goblin sanctuary to see if this was a trend, the Forest of Velvet once more claimed to have population.  And with no possible source, the conclusion hit me: Elf sanctuaries will PRODUCE new units of any civilization if that civilization gets wiped out.

So no, you can't kill the world after all.  Not for more than a day, anyway.  Sorry, hopeful players, but them's the breaks.
Sanity is for the weak.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: You cannot kill the world after all - an Adventurer Mode test
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 04:08:37 pm »

You know that people flee towns when you start massacring, right?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 04:13:05 pm »

Yes they do.  However, the Human towns were dead for quite some time when the humans suddenly appeared out of nowhere in the Elven sanctuary.
Sanity is for the weak.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 04:17:24 pm »

-Embark with a fortress on the elf ruin.
-Flood its entire surface, with magma preferably, but water will do. Usualy elf biomes have some aquifer, if so you only need to ramp/channel down to that.
-Total annihiliation at last? Eternally drowning/burning people?
-Post results. For science!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Nobody1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 04:18:54 pm »

They flee when you start to slaughter, and also, typically world gen ends with not everyone in a settled area--refugees and heroes "scouting the wilderness" around an area will count towards civilization population but not be found within the settled area, at least at first (they do move about with passage of time).  Civilized creatures do not simply respawn ex nihilo (in adventure mode), everyone comes from somewhere in history and they can all be killed.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 04:27:43 pm »

Well in my hacking adventures (setting all items on fire) it worked quite well. Just move into town, set all items on fire, wait a while, travel and the city is in ruins.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 04:42:38 pm »

The most thorough way to do this is to turn off culling of non-historical figures, go to legends, copy down the entire list of people still alive, and check them off as you kill them.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 05:01:16 pm »

Or just retire in a town, check the legends for anybody left alive, write them down, and hunt them.
By coordinating your efforts through the legends screen, you will likely kill everyone eventually.

Then the question is, with everybody dead, can you still play dwarf mode? Do migrants still come? When you quit dwarf mode, will your fortress have repopulated the world?
Eh?
Eh!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 05:52:03 pm »

Dwarf Mode dwarfs come from thin air, if I recall correctly. I'm also not entirely sure killing everyone in the world is possible, as I think populations can be replenished from migrants from off the edges of the world map. Perhaps if you make the edges of the world map entirely ocean...
!!&!!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 05:56:44 pm »

By world map, do you mean the embark map or the entire world that was created in worldgen?

That would be weird if migrants did come from off the edge of the world map itself.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 09:30:15 pm »

"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb