Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Sunken Worldgen Bridge  (Read 1790 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
[40d] Sunken Worldgen Bridge
« on: December 06, 2009, 08:43:06 pm »

While doing some sightseeing (read: following a worldgen road between human towns until I went stark raving mad), I encountered something quite peculiar: the road crossed a river (not a brook), but the bridge was 1 Z-level down, within the ground. Due to the way it had been placed, there was a small diagonal gap on one edge (right next to the ramps) which caused the bridge to flood with water; as it is, it seems to have dammed the river.

Worldgen parms:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The bridge can be found on the obsidian block road between the towns of Kedistra (Seasontwinkling) and Cokuthret (Chuckwhip), 2 map tiles south of Kedistra. Somewhat appropriately, the bridge is named "The Squashed Bridge".

This world is also home to several other oddities, such as Dègendok (Evenattic) the 8x8x8 tile mountainhall - it extends 8 Z-levels below the surface, and each Z-level consists entirely of a square room containing up/down ramps (except for the bottom level, of course).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 12:55:04 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Sunken Worldgen Bridge
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 08:36:00 pm »

I took a peek at Dègendok.  Odd place, but I like it better than the usual fortresses.  Less space for nothing to be in.  Looking for the bridge right now.  Anything else you found?

Edit:  Just noticed, Kedistra exists, and there is an obsidian block road going south, but there is no Cokuthret...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 08:48:06 pm by Salabasama »
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:00:15 pm »

If you follow the road from the north, you should encounter a brook, a river, and a magma pipe (off to the right) a short distance from the sunken bridge.

As for the lack of Cokuthret, it may be because I modded my game to make horses, donkeys, and mules actually die of old age (25-30 years, 40-50 years, and 30-40 years, respectively) and made giant desert scorpions capable of breeding.

[edit] Huh, weird - I regenerated the world, and this time the bridge was above ground like it was supposed to be.

[edit] The hell? I just loaded my original saved game, and the bridge has fixed itself. Maybe it needs to be approached from the south?

[edit again] Yep - I approached it from the south, and now it's sunken again. This is messed up...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:19:33 pm by Quietust »
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 10:04:24 am »

Can we have a screenshot? Not all of us can be bothered genning the world to find your bridge :3
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 10:56:55 pm »

There's something really glitchy about this bridge - most of the time when I approach it, it's above ground like it's supposed to be, but occasionally it turns out like this:

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 12:22:51 am »

Is the bridge appearing on the correct z-level, or is part of it submerged?  Which way does the water flow?

It sounds to me like it could be related to other known issues with water pressure in adventure mode.  Just a guess, though.

I had a fortress that experienced something similar.  I dug out a dwarf-made canal that branches off of a brook, flows north-to-south, and connects back to the brook in the south.  Throughout fortress mode I never had any flooding until I started pumping water from other sources into it (dwarf-powered pumps, even).  It even had a pumpstack waterfall that did not normally cause flooding.

As soon as I reached the site in adventure mode, I got hit with serious lag, and sure enough it was because it had inexplicably begun flooding at the area around the waterfall.  The extra pumps that had caused flooding in the past weren't running  because, well, they were dwarf-powered, and there were no dwarves to power them.  I still have a save with an adventurer standing in a room near the site of the flooding.

For the record, when this happened I had approached my fortress from the south as well.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 12:29:13 am »

In the pictures above, the bridge is entirely submerged - the river flows to the north, so the bridge has turned into a dam. Most of the time, though, it appears 1 Z-level up as it ought to.