Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Strange message when jailed+hammered+unable to reach party  (Read 1726 times)

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Strange message when jailed+hammered+unable to reach party
« on: December 06, 2009, 06:25:31 am »

I receive this pair of messages...

I immediately go check on the corpse, and it's in a jail cell. Turns out he was hammered. How that relates to floor space I have no idea.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Strange message when jailed+hammered+unable to reach party
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 07:47:02 am »

Well if he was hammered, and he doesn't have enough floor space to land on, he could hit his head on a table or other dwarf's weapon.  'Course as a dwarf so much drink shouldn't be a problem for him in the first place.

More seriously, that is strange.  It might be related to how dwarves will try to go to their own beds when chained instead of the one right next to the chain for sleeping; ignoring the state of being chained and trying to go about business as usual.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 12:20:45 pm »

The "no floor space" probably just means that he couldn't reach the room where the party was taking place, though I probably would have expected "Could not find path" instead.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 01:07:17 pm »

I think I've had the message before, but not followed by a death then, at least not immediately. This is really 40d16 btw, though I hope it doesn't matter ;)

Though I would love if the dwarves really did skip a party if it was getting crowded. I hate huge parties! (Partying a bit is fine, but letting the human caravan pass by without trading and having a moody dwarf go stark raving mad because he didn't get that rough green glass... sigh. Yes I do know the party-cancelling techniques.)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:34:54 pm »

I think I've had the message before, but not followed by a death then, at least not immediately. This is really 40d16 btw, though I hope it doesn't matter ;)

Though I would love if the dwarves really did skip a party if it was getting crowded. I hate huge parties! (Partying a bit is fine, but letting the human caravan pass by without trading and having a moody dwarf go stark raving mad because he didn't get that rough green glass... sigh. Yes I do know the party-cancelling techniques.)

Ahh yes, only in DF do the terms bug and feature get used interchangeably (shamelessly stolen).

The "No Floor Space thing is weird though. I've had parties when I designated a single tile statue garden, even though the only "party" space was the impassable statue. Sounds like a pathing issue to me, if he was chained in the prison he couldn't get there. Though it doesn't explain the different message, maybe Toady just has it coded differently if a dwarf tries to go to a party while imprisoned.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tasogare Reiken

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 08:41:06 am »

Seems to me that you guys might be thinking this in the wrong direction or not saying everything.

Perhaps its not so much that the canceled action killed him. I'd be certain he bled to death as the second message indicates.

Rather, its because he died that he canceled what he was doing. Naturally he canceled it before he died. How he got injured I can only guess.

Condition for Death Met.
Cancel Action.
Death.

Seems logical to me, but I could be wrong. I don't remember getting canceled action messages with death before, perhaps it was his particular circumstances that led to it.

Or just a coincidence. Those do happen.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 03:57:31 pm »

The strange thing isn't that the job was cancelled, because clearly it's hard to attend a party after being hammered. (I assume the dwarf was hammered, there's little other reason for a huge blood splatter against the wall in a small jail cell.)
The strange thing is the "floor space" message. What floor, how much space was available and how much required, and for what?

Maybe he was hammered in the feet and they were smashed so huge they didn't fit inside the one tile doorway to the cell, and he couldn't leave, ergo the floor was too narrow to walk on. Maybe. 8)

torne

• Bay Watcher
  • arf arf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 10:53:22 am »

Presumably he was looking for a path from where he currently was, to a free space in the party location? There's no such path, because he's chained and can't move more than one space away, so the path finding failed...

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 06:24:45 am »

Presumably he was looking for a path from where he currently was, to a free space in the party location? There's no such path, because he's chained and can't move more than one space away, so the path finding failed...
Explanation makes sense.

The real bug here, if any, would then be that he attempts pathfinding and doing jobs at all as long as he's tied up.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 07:35:06 am »

Urist cancels Attend Party:  Too Dead?
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?