Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elf Lord Hermit?  (Read 1642 times)

ManiacallyChallenged

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Elf Lord Hermit?
« on: December 05, 2009, 05:35:24 pm »

While adventuring in a 200th year world, I came across an Elven Retreat in the middle of the plains.
The strange thing is, it's actually a human town in composition. The ONLY inhabitant is an Elven Lord who lives in a small house on the outskirts of town.

He is at war with the other elven towns, and keeps asking me to assassinate Druid leaders of other Elven Retreats.

Strangely enough, I can start out at this town, and it's considered a Human town by the character creation menu.

Is this kind of thing normal?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:38:06 pm by ManiacallyChallenged »

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Lord Hermit?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 05:48:57 pm »

Is this kind of thing normal?

No, it's AWESOME.

As for an explanation... sometimes civs conquer each others citys and this leads to non-humans (like elfs!) living in a human civ, so an elven Lord is perfectly normal in a human town. My guess is that the elf is this towns last citizen and defends it against the attacking elf-hordes (that's why he gives you quests to kill druids - the human civ is at war with the elves).

You should write his name down or something and If when you die you could look up what kind of things happened in his life in legends mode, I bet it would be quite informative.  :)

ManiacallyChallenged

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 08:12:02 pm »

Good idea, I'd forgotten about legends.

This is the same region that has TWO, count 'em TWO goblin fortresses completely run by Dwarves. Well, one of them has an errant Goblin Guard, but she hardly counts.

The other notable thing about this file? My adventurer is missing her left eye. Her companion, is missing her right eye. Great team.  ::)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 07:13:02 am »

Sounds like he got adopted by the human civ, and then the humans were wiped out by attrition; since he's an Elf though he doesn't age, so he's the only one left alive.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 07:55:01 am »

since he's an Elf though he doesn't age, so he's the only one left alive.

I know it should probably be like that in D&D or Lord of the Rings, but is that really implemented like that in DF?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 09:11:20 am »

since he's an Elf though he doesn't age, so he's the only one left alive.

I know it should probably be like that in D&D or Lord of the Rings, but is that really implemented like that in DF?
Elves don't have a maxage in their creature entries. They don't die of old age. The goblins do the same.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 09:44:15 am »

I see, thanks for clearing that up.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 06:35:43 pm »

That's one of the reasons why the Elves tend to win wars of attrition; because they never die, their population just increases exponentially until they outnumber all the other races combined.

Goblins are the same; but they're at war with everyone so they tend to keep their numbers down that way, but because Elves only go to war rarely, they have time to build up gigantic hordes in the peacetime.

Elves are basically DF's Zerg.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 08:26:29 pm »

Goblins aalso murder each other iirc.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 08:41:32 pm »

I once found a hermit as well. It was a human town composed of a hovel in the middle of a clearing owned by human spearmaster.

I dont think he was at war with anybody though, I think he just was the only person in the "town." There were no ruins or anything like that.

It actually was pretty serene. I guess he just wanted to get away from it all!

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 10:02:22 am »

post the file, we need to know more about this elf.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 03:55:06 pm »

What likely happend is the elves and the humans were at war.  The humans conqured the elvish retreat that the elf there was in.  Elf then becomes a member of the human civ.  Since he can out live everyone else he eventually works his way up to become the leader of that human town.  Read teh story in another thread in the DF Fortress Mode about the Dwarven King being an Elf.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 05:30:51 pm »

That would be Cacame and theres also a D for Dwarf page in the wikipedia on him.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.