Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION]:Aztec Mafia  (Read 3304 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
[DISCUSSION]:Aztec Mafia
« on: November 28, 2009, 11:55:39 pm »

Aztec Mafia, something that seemed like a good idea at the time. Now, apparently, its going to be crazy-vig shit party.

Spoiler: Roles (click to show/hide)

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION]:Aztec Mafia
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 12:03:00 am »

Crazy vig party is a good thing :D

Ok, so now the big question: what to have happen when each of the priests sacrifices.  It has to be something useful but not overpowering.  The two-person sacrifice will have to be extremely useful...or perhaps extremely risky.

Once we have that, I think it'll work out well.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 12:04:13 am »

For Hernando, if he kills anyone visiting him what is the point of him appearing noble on inspection?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 12:14:01 am »

For Hernando, if he kills anyone visiting him what is the point of him appearing noble on inspection?
Hurr Hurr Hurr. Death Priest.

Crazy vig party is a good thing :D

Ok, so now the big question: what to have happen when each of the priests sacrifices.  It has to be something useful but not overpowering.  The two-person sacrifice will have to be extremely useful...or perhaps extremely risky.

Once we have that, I think it'll work out well.
Random heal/protect on Aztec? Or a Roleblock on Spaniard kill? Something like that is what I imagined. Or someone coming back to life maybe?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 12:14:48 am »

How about he kills anyone trying to kill him?

Also, there should be someone trying to steal the artifact keeper's artifact.

Idea: Impure blood: You have no abilities. Anyone who sacrifices you does not get an effect. You cannot be communicated by the death priest while dead.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 12:59:23 am »

There should be an Aztec "Noble Warrior" that shows up as a noble on inspection and gives an extra good effect if he's sacrificed. He won't dishonorably kill defenseless victims during the night, however, since he's so honorable. Hence, no nightkill.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 01:22:51 am »

Impure Blood can be an effect put on a random non-priest person.  Thus an Impure Blood Taxer can exist (but not necessarily)

I also agree to Hernando killing only against other kills.  Let the celebrator/taxer target him without a problem.

As for effects:

Ritual Priest - when they kill one person they may target a second.  That second person will be protected.  A Vig/Doc combo role. 

When they kill two people, they become SuperMirrors, reflecting kills back as Erradiate.

i.e. Ritual Priest kills Dakarian and Litia, turning them into SuperMirrors (priest is unaffected).  Hernando kills Dakarian the same night but the SuperMirror sends an Erradiate back on the Hernando, going THROUGH the armor to kill him.

Result, the 1 kills allow you to protect like a doctor.  2-person kill lets you set a trap that will kill hidden scum.  The Erradicate effect means the scum can't just send Hernando out.

Note, yes, if a second priest tries to sacrifice Dak or Litia they'll die as well.. ;)

Death Priest
Well, we have this one.  One-person Medium. 

High Priest

Hmm, how about Kill a person, let a person do a Doubleshot.  Townie gets a double vote.  Tax/Celebrator get to target two people.  Priests and Spaniards are unaffected.  If the HP fails to kill (on purpose or by, say, block or protect) a random pro-town loses their ability for the next day/night instead (note NOT a block.  The person can action that same night, but will be disabled or voteless the next day/night). 

Note: HP is only told if their action went through or was blocked: they aren't told if it actually DID anything to the other person.

Note: if the vote is effected (doubled or lost) the townie is NOT told it happened and the vote count will NOT show the effect.  The effect is only mentioned IF it directly effects who gets lynched.

So Ritual Priest: 1 kill = Protect, 2 kill = SuperMirror on the sacrifices

Death Priest: 1 soul medium for the following day.

High Priest: Doubleaction for Tax/Celeb, Doublevote for Citizen, Nothing otherwise

As for the artifact: make being the keeper be a side aspect (so any pro-town can start off with it).  If you die, whoever kills you (NK or last vote) gets the artifact. 

The Priest gifts (Protect/SuperMirror/Medium/Doubling) work so long as the artifact is held by a pro-town.  If the scum gain it, the gifts no longer occur (though the MUST KILL requirements still hold and the penalty for the HP failing to kill still holds).  The town can get it back, of course, by killing the Spaniard.

@fakeedit

hmm, extra good effect.

Ritual Priest - instead of Protect, it gives the person Reviver status

Death Priest - Allows the Death Priest to learn who killed the person they are speaking to.

High Priest - They are told what role the person is (effectively, becoming a 1-shot rolecop).

Though if so, Spaniard kills should come before sacrifices.  That way if the Noble Warrior claims, they could be mafiakilled to stop the sacrifice.  If multiple priests choose the Warrior, they all get the benefit.
I KNEW IT!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 02:39:13 am »

Hurr Hurr Hurr. Death Priest.

Yes, but there is only one role that kills on inspection. If they were killed on inspection, regardless of what came up, they would know it would be Hernando.

Edit: Unless you plan on there being no flavour text.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:42:53 am by Cheeetar »
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 02:56:01 pm »

Cheeetar:a cop announce target beforehand? kinda unlikely.

Less-than-serious role suggestion:
Moctezuma. RBs hammerer or killer (next night in that case)-maybe killer's team, as else the Spaniards use another and are fine.
But might not function if sacrifices aren't made, say.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 11:28:28 pm »

Sounds like a weaker version of Skunk.  Skunk stops anyone that targets them by RBing them and that's not overpowered (STRONG but not overpowered).

As such, Moct RBing the killer the following night (or scumteam) works.  Putting it as a function of the sacrifices works.  I WAS thinking of putting it as a function of the artifact but if you go by my idea that the sacrifice bonuses work because of the artifact then, meh, it all works out anyway.

LONG STORY SHORT: Yah, that's a cool role.  Better than SuperSaint imo (which is annoying as anything to me)
I KNEW IT!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 05:39:50 am »

Sounds like a weaker version of Skunk.  Skunk stops anyone that targets them by RBing them and that's not overpowered (STRONG but not overpowered).
Basically like a super coward/ commando ascetic, I suppose.

And the Moctezuma sounds quite interesting, actually.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 12:05:53 pm »

It's a bad joke role if you think about it >,,>
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 10:51:09 pm »

Cheeetar:a cop announce target beforehand? kinda unlikely.
I'm talking about the cop's knowledge. The noble result would not matter, as the cop would KNOW they had investigated Hernando if they died as a result of the investigation, regardless of the result, as Hernando is the only one with a kill on investigation. Regardless of noble status, the cop would tell the death priest that whoever it was was Hernando, as that is the only possible explanation of them dieing upon investigation.
I've played some mafia.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 11:46:27 pm »

Oright mediums.
Tilesets

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 01:29:23 am »

Hernando just needs to Kill those that try to kill him.  Let the other actions work normally.  Making one of the mafia an unkillable Paranoid Gun Owner is rather overkill anyway in a game with LOTS of killing roles.
I KNEW IT!