Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: heat resist and limitations of the raws  (Read 755 times)

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
heat resist and limitations of the raws
« on: November 25, 2009, 05:43:59 am »

is it possible to create armour (or clothing) that would protect against heat, namely to get ya little dwarves walking around in magma?

if not, i'd love to get a quick all-round view on the limitations of editing and creating raws. better to cut my dreams down nice n early before i get too excited  ;)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: heat resist and limitations of the raws
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 09:54:24 am »

Well, I think the best you can do is just make the armour out of magmasafe materials, and make it as damage resistant as you can. It's possible it'll protect the dwarf a small amount. A fully HFS-clad dwarf was observed charging an enemy across a few tiles of lava in The Nameless Fortress and was undamaged, so I guess magma is possible to resist. Armour doesn't impart any specific heat resistance to the dwarf however. Just general damage protection.

As for what you can and can't do with the raws? Hmmmmmm. Well, you can't use extracts in reactions, can't breathe fire in adventure mode, and can't smelt beer out of rock. You can, however smelt vermin, add as many new animals, vegetables and minerals as you like, have them burst into flame at whatever temperature you want, and add dirty words in the fanciful creatures folder so that your dwarves will occasionally like [CENSORED] for their [ALSO CENSORED].

hughesdylan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 09:59:39 am »

Not to mention completly change how the geology of the world works, create whatever smelter reactions you want, add new weapons, metals, armor.. Honestly DF has a really complex and interesting modding system. Im greatly enjoying it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 10:54:31 am »

It's the only fantasy game I know which is easy to be turned into Fallout/wasteland or zombieland game.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 11:09:09 am »

Or The Night Lands, if you're feeling adventurous

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 12:16:28 pm »

haha, ah man. awesome, thanks a lot. there's hope yet, i suppose i could dilute the effect of magma by bumping up the amount of damage the little guys can take and increasing the damage other creatures do respectively.

im also really impressed with the [fanciful] idea, haha. i've already gone overboard with the prefstring's in an effort to spruce up their colourful language  :)

cheers.

immolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 11:30:46 pm »

haha, ah man. awesome, thanks a lot. there's hope yet, i suppose i could dilute the effect of magma by bumping up the amount of damage the little guys can take and increasing the damage other creatures do respectively.

im also really impressed with the [fanciful] idea, haha. i've already gone overboard with the prefstring's in an effort to spruce up their colourful language  :)

cheers.

You could also edit the Dwarves creature entry and add in [HEATDAM_POINT: 25000].

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 10:57:05 am »

If I remember correctly the [COVERAGE:xx] tag is what defines how well clothing protects creatures from temperature and contaminants. If you bumped this to insane levels, you might make clothing that could protect them rather well from the effects of magma.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.