Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there a way to alter a dwaf's material preferences?  (Read 1325 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Is there a way to alter a dwaf's material preferences?
« on: November 19, 2009, 08:18:59 pm »

The following are useless, because they don't exist.

"Horn, amber, ivory"

IF I'm going to mod those out, is there a way to make dwarves prefer a certain thing over another? I'd prefer to have an armorsmith at start that prefered things like

Steel, dog leather, shields, etc

I"d like a weaponsmith with similar preferences, etc.

It's just a thought.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to alter a dwaf's material preferences?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 08:25:50 pm »

You can't mod a single dwarf's preference directly, but the items preferred are the result of the civ's [METAL_PREF] and etc. tags in the entity_default file. You can make them like different types of gems, stone, wood, and metal as a civ.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 08:31:17 pm »

You can't mod a single dwarf's preference directly, but the items preferred are the result of the civ's [METAL_PREF] and etc. tags in the entity_default file. You can make them like different types of gems, stone, wood, and metal as a civ.

Fantastic, how? Please:).

I tried

[METAL_PREF: STEEL], as an experiment.

no luck.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 08:51:39 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 08:57:25 pm »

Yeah, a specific [METAL_PREF:x] should work... how many dwarfs have you checked after trying this? Generated a new world?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 09:02:03 pm »

I've tried two test embarks (14 dwarves) on a newly genned world.

Not a single Dwarf liked steel.

Please don't quote me.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 10:38:01 am »

What is [METAL_PREF:x]? It's some kind of nonexistant token.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 10:58:43 am »

What is [METAL_PREF:x]? It's some kind of nonexistant token.

Does that mean that there is no way to make a dwarf or a dwarven civ through the entity file, prefer a certain metal?

If nothing else, can I please make sure I never have another noble mandate for ivory goods 3/3? That just sucks and is unfair (literally impossible to fill the order).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 11:51:11 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 03:33:53 pm »

The only thing [Metal_pref] seems to do is allow the entity to use the best kind of metal available, as far as I know. It doesn't even seem to limit the kinds of metals that the members of the entity favor.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 05:18:20 pm »

The only thing [Metal_pref] seems to do is allow the entity to use the best kind of metal available, as far as I know. It doesn't even seem to limit the kinds of metals that the members of the entity favor.

I will second this, [Metal_pref] along with the other pref tags only allow certain items be taken on embark, whether limiting them or adding some to the embark screen.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 08:36:53 pm »

The wiki's article on entity tokens suggests that METAL_PREF also allows the entity to "have a preference for one or more advanced metals." This might mean that not having it actually limits the civ members' likes, though it's difficult to say. That phrase is more than a little ambiguous, IMO.

Also, I will say that the [METAL_PREF:x] tag works exactly like the [METAL_PREF] tag. Dyansauri, from the Civilization Forge mod, have [METAL_PREF:CRYSTAL_BLOOD] specifically, I believe, but use steel exclusively, while I'm pretty sure the High Elves have [METAL_PREF:SILVER_BRIGHT], but, again, use steel exclusively. Traders from entities with such tags will still bring weapons made from other metals, as the dwarves do, but I have not seen any exceptional tendency towards blood crystal or bright silver weapons in either of their cases.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 09:20:12 pm »

Are you sure your [METAL_PREF:x] is working? If I do so, it generates an error.

Also, don't believe LITERALLY anything that's written in the wiki. It has a lot of false information here and there,
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 10:26:41 pm »

Are you sure your [METAL_PREF:x] is working? If I do so, it generates an error.

Also, don't believe LITERALLY anything that's written in the wiki. It has a lot of false information here and there,
I am sure it is working. I've removed much of CivForge for work on some mods I'm attempting, but the High Elves, and their [METAL_PREF:SILVER_BRIGHT] and [METAL_PREF:MITHRIL] tags, are still in the game. They use the same sorts of metals as the dwarves, mostly steel, but with the occasional weapon of other metals.

Curiously, I get an error related to the SILVER_BRIGHT material, probably since it's not actually in my raws anywhere, but nothing about mithril. Also, the error is simply "Unrecognized Metal Token: SILVER_BRIGHT." It doesn't seem to actually affect the entity.

Also, I know not to trust a wiki entirely. I just felt it wise to mention something of that nature in case it might help with the OP's goals  :)
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 06:10:30 am »

So are you sure those tags are actually DOING anything?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 06:40:55 am »

My guess is that [METAL_PREF] just means that the entity uses the best available non-[DEEP] metal for their equipment.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 09:02:53 am »

OK I've just tested it a few times and it seems that [METAL_PREF:whatever] makes the same thing as [METAL_PREF] and rarely generates an error, it means that the game culls everything that is after METAL_PREF.

They use the same sorts of metals as the dwarves, mostly steel, but with the occasional weapon of other metals.
This is how METAL_PREF works in vanilla. They get mostly steel with occasional iron pieces of armor and silver/gold/copper picks and crossbows.

My guess is that [METAL_PREF] just means that the entity uses the best available non-[DEEP] metal for their equipment.
Just my point. People discuss the same thing over and over in this topic :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: [1] 2