Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d and 40d16] Crashes on world generation  (Read 591 times)

ProfessorFoo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[40d and 40d16] Crashes on world generation
« on: November 09, 2009, 04:38:24 am »

I tried installing dwarf fort today for the first time on my laptop and it crashes immediately after it starts generating the world.  It simply gets to the screen where it sets the temperature etc and then crashes with a generic error report ("dwarfort.exe has stopped working").  In the error log it says "Impoverished Word Selector" over and over again. 

I've tried running it in compatibility mode and with both full screen and window mode.  I've tried both the 40d version on the front page (from two different mirrors) and the 40d.16 version.  They all crash the exact same way.  This laptop is running 32 bit Vista with a terrible geforce 7150m integrated video card.  All drivers are up to date.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I thought I'd give Dwarf Forts a try since both my desktop and PS3 somehow managed to break in the same week (and of course because it sounds damn fun  :)) but it looks like I have been defeated again. 

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d and 40d16] Crashes on world generation
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:10:38 am »

Whee search button

The error appears to originate from either words in the language files and/or (more likely) from the "symbol" words chosen by civs all being used by the game, and it running out of unique variations for names and such. I've no idea why it's crashing your game, but try removing some of the CULL_SYMBOL lines in raw/objects/entity_standard.txt and see if that helps, or try generating a smaller world.

ProfessorFoo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 01:27:13 pm »

Yeah I saw that thread before but I assumed it didn't apply to me since I left everything at default.  I just tried changing it to 3 civilizations with a 100 unit maximum on pocket size and it still crashed normally (this time instead of freezing at set temperature it said there were rejected regions or something like that).

Where do you find entity_standard.txt?  I've looked in data/objects but it is empty and searching doesn't find it.

And thanks for the suggestions. 

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 01:28:57 pm »

entity_default (not entity_standard, my mistake) is found in raw/objects.

Edit: Also, are you sure you're running as admin/got full permissions for the DF folder?

ProfessorFoo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 02:39:24 pm »

I don't see any 'raw' folder (the only folder I have is called 'data') and I can't find any file with entity in the name.  I'm not sure why I wouldn't be running as admin though.  I'm on the only account on this computer  ???

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 03:30:21 pm »

I don't see any 'raw' folder (the only folder I have is called 'data') and I can't find any file with entity in the name.

That's a problem.  Sounds like you got a bad download or something.  Get a fresh download and don't install DF in Program Files.

ProfessorFoo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 06:36:40 pm »

Hey I figured it out.  You guys were on the right track.  Apparently the program I was using to unzip my files (filezip) couldn't copy the raw folder even though it could see it.  I tried it with 7zip and it all works now.  Filezip is slow as hell anyways.  Thanks for the help 3 and Footkerchief.