Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 214004 times)

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #255 on: December 09, 2009, 12:01:31 am »

Has anyone tried assigning all the wardogs to the butcher?  In theory the dogs and puppies will follow him around making butchery much more efficient.  If no one knows, I'll apply science.

I don't need the dogs for anything else.  I'm just using them for meat.  They're only wardogs because, well, wardogs can be assigned.

When assigned to a dwarf, do they pathfind, or just follow the dwarf?  If they're only pathfinding to stay within x tiles of the dwarf, that's not so bad.

I've got 18 female war dogs.  Can that many be assigned to a single dwarf?  If not, I could also put a few on the tanner.  He's usually nearby at butchery time.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Inyssius

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIPLOMATTACK:SPINERATOR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 09, 2009, 12:15:19 am »

I want to run a fort in a location which has ludicrously fatal weather outside part of the time. Like, a temperate winter and a thermonuclear summer. Can the game be modded to do this?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 09, 2009, 01:08:10 am »

Has anyone tried assigning all the wardogs to the butcher?  In theory the dogs and puppies will follow him around making butchery much more efficient.  If no one knows, I'll apply science.

I don't need the dogs for anything else.  I'm just using them for meat.  They're only wardogs because, well, wardogs can be assigned.

When assigned to a dwarf, do they pathfind, or just follow the dwarf?  If they're only pathfinding to stay within x tiles of the dwarf, that's not so bad.

I've got 18 female war dogs.  Can that many be assigned to a single dwarf?  If not, I could also put a few on the tanner.  He's usually nearby at butchery time.
That many can, and the puppies will follow. but i suggest doing this instead.
Make the animal trainer the butcher, that way you dont have to assign them and can then assign them to military dwarves in a time of war.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 09, 2009, 01:09:19 am »

When marksdwarfs enter melee with their crossbows, they utilize hammer skill, correct?

So would it be worthwhile to have them crosstrain in hammer skill as well as crossbow skill, or would the extra effort not be worthwhile?
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 09, 2009, 01:23:55 am »

Does the trick to get sand from underground rivers still work?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 09, 2009, 01:30:34 am »

When marksdwarfs enter melee with their crossbows, they utilize hammer skill, correct?

So would it be worthwhile to have them crosstrain in hammer skill as well as crossbow skill, or would the extra effort not be worthwhile?
Yeah, they use the hammerdwarf skill.  Whether its worth training depends mostly on how likely it is your marksdwarves will get involved in melee combat, but if they do its very handy.

Does the trick to get sand from underground rivers still work?
Yes, but not reliably.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 09, 2009, 01:41:57 am »

Thanks, silhouette.

I had thought about doing that as well, but it's a bit late for that batch of females.

Not that I'm too worried about using them for the military.  I'm playing vanilla DF and the goblins aren't a threat to my fortress.  If I didn't want to, I'd never have to go outside again.  I've got a huge underground tower cap farm (100x200) and am working on a megatower.  I'll be posting VF pictures of it eventually.

Edit.
For the help, have a preview.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:58:05 am by Yagrum Bagarn »

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 09, 2009, 02:22:37 am »

Yeah, they use the hammerdwarf skill.  Whether its worth training depends mostly on how likely it is your marksdwarves will get involved in melee combat, but if they do its very handy.

Okay, thank you.

On another note, if I build a floor over my aboveground barracks, will that negate the cave adaptation canceling effects it has, or will it be just fine?
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 09, 2009, 02:30:50 am »

It will be transformed to become inside.
(well in my version that happens)

Also @ yagrum (morrowind lol)
:O
funny as i was planning the EXACT SAME THING.
well mine will look differnt.

Mine has a few mountains, like 2zlvls only.
in a desert.
i have barely any trees
and am planning on diverting a river into my  tower cap farm...

42x81 squares.
That should be enough and i dont need any more ^^.
If i did ild make it much larger as that is only 1/4 of the designated area that can be mined out for further tower cap farms.

Also im planning on making a glass tower in the middle of my desert with a bridge that goes to nowhere and be basically an execution tower.
Aswell as making it spew magma (oh god thats going to be hard, so many pumps...)
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 09, 2009, 02:31:46 am »

On another note, if I build a floor over my aboveground barracks, will that negate the cave adaptation canceling effects it has, or will it be just fine?

No, your military will be practicing in a "inside light aboveground" environment.  Cave adaption will be fended off because of the "light aboveground" part.  Once a tile has been revealed to the sun, it can never be subterranean again.  Something about that dratted sun.

You can do the same with your refuse stockpile so dwarves don't have to venture into danger to throw away a XXPig Tail SockXX.

@silhouette - We're building very similar structures.  I didn't have any wood when I started and maybe went overboard on the TC farm.  Oh well, I'll never be short of wood again.

I also plan on building a huge bridge to the edge of the map.  I want to make it the only caravan access point.  You might have noticed the green in my tower - the floors are glass.  If you look closely, there are some glass statues, too.  The tower itself is actually right over the magma pipe, so magma spewing is definitely an option in the future.

And as for the name, I was surprised it wasn't taken.  I just switched from "balath" the other day.  I usually use the name "Balathustrius," from a relatively obscure video game, but there's already a very active one on these boards.  To use the short version seemed a bit cheap, so I switched.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 02:43:21 am by Yagrum Bagarn »

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 09, 2009, 02:48:38 am »

This is probably a really really dumb question, but how many units of alcohol will a dwarf drink at once? Is a "Dwarven Wine Barrel (10)" good for ten drinks or what? Because it seems that I'm running otu of booze a lot faster than I should if that's the case.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 09, 2009, 02:50:17 am »

Yea i started with few trees aswell, only like 10-20 anually.
I still dont have any beds except the ones in my barracks lol.
Mine wont be over the magma p- wait a minute...
Actually it will.
what the hell.
Serriously what the hell.
The place where im planning it is pretty much exactly over the magma pipe, just a bit below.
if you under stand what i mean.

I was planning on making some sort of flinging tower.
Like have a bridge 2 z levels above a bridge and sort of time it so one bridge retracts while the other expands so it hits the thing im falling.
Going to be insane to actually make it work if it does work.

Yeah should be good for 10 drinks, your dwarves drink like 1 per drinking session, and they need it like daily, its best to just set your manager to continually order drinks to be brewed.
---

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 09, 2009, 02:50:53 am »

From the wiki:
A healthy adult dwarf consumes approximately 18 units of drink per year
For more information.
http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Drink#Consumption

@silhouette
There was zero wood on my map.  It all initially came with me from embark or from traders.  This is the fortress in which I had lost 25 dwarves by the time my population was 50.  Most of those were related to lack of wood.  There was a bit of a tantrum chain (not quite a spiral) that started with a moody dwarf going berserk over not having any wood.  Everyone was already on edge,  of course, because they didn't have beds and several other dwarves had gone insane already for not having wood.

To make life even better, while digging my tower cap farm I
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Somehow, I survived all that to get to work on the tower that will look oh-so-dramatic against that mountainous background.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 02:58:15 am by Yagrum Bagarn »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 09, 2009, 02:59:57 am »

I'm planning a megaproject, and there are 2 things I wish to know:
First, what is more valuable: fire imp soap blocks, or platinum/aluminum blocks? I think I'm interpreting the wiki correctly in that the imp soap is worth 250 each while the precious metals cap out at 200, but I've never made soap before.

Second, if I were to dump a large quantity of water on top of the surface of an already-full lake (as in, one connected to the edge of the map), would the extra water vanish out the map edges, or sit on top? I want to flood my whole map many z-levels deep, and I'd rather know whether I need to seal the surface of my lake with hidden bridges before I try to fill.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 09, 2009, 03:04:43 am »

I were to dump a large quantity of water on top of the surface of an already-full lake (as in, one connected to the edge of the map), would the extra water vanish out the map edges, or sit on top?

It will drain off the edge of the map eventually, regardless of where you dump the water.  If it comes into contact with an edge, it will drain off.  If you want to flood your map many z-levels deep, you'll have to wall/drawbridge off the edges.

I've never made soap, but I bet the wiki is right.  The value of an aluminum block (I just checked my game) is 200☼.  So I bet it's the fire imp soap if you did the math right.  I don't know the value of fire imp fat.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 03:08:21 am by Yagrum Bagarn »

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 181