Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tower cap farms  (Read 3031 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Tower cap farms
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 11:15:00 am »

Trees never grow directly adjacent to each other. You can, and should, make smoothed pathways on every other row and column for woodcutters, to prevent trampled plants. Use plant gatherers to remove bushes and maximize tree growth.
The bolded portion is definitely not true.  I have tower-caps directly side-by-side in my current farm complex.  There's even three in a row in one place.

Tower caps aren't trees, though.

1.  This thread is about tower caps.
2.  Trees also grow next to each other.  I can look at the surface of Firechannels right this moment and see trees growing two- and even three-in-a-line.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 11:17:35 am »

Trees never grow directly adjacent to each other. You can, and should, make smoothed pathways on every other row and column for woodcutters, to prevent trampled plants. Use plant gatherers to remove bushes and maximize tree growth.
The bolded portion is definitely not true.  I have tower-caps directly side-by-side in my current farm complex.  There's even three in a row in one place.

2.  Trees also grow next to each other.  I can look at the surface of Firechannels right this moment and see trees growing two- and even three-in-a-line.

I know I know ... I was just being a bezzerwizzer.  :) Bad habit.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 08:30:38 am »

Actually this would be a good use for the dwarven clock that was in another thread.  Have a tree farm on several levels and open one level each season, to allow cutting.  On the next season it would flood and drain that level and open the next.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 09:14:51 am »

If you're going to make some kind of no-growth paths, pave them.  You'd have to smooth the ground after each dump, but paving lasts forever.

After each dump? Why would you need to flood more than once? Muddied tiles don't seem to go away. . .
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 11:22:27 am »

Actually, rather than making an exact airlock system, I tend to just use pumps and floodgates to ensure that I simply flood the whole friggin' zone, then the whole thing drains back into the cistern I took it from.

I also can just make a channel that goes down to the bottom floor and drains directly into a chasm or bottomless pit.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jyppa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 11:41:18 am »

Actually this would be a good use for the dwarven clock that was in another thread.  Have a tree farm on several levels and open one level each season, to allow cutting.  On the next season it would flood and drain that level and open the next.

I can see much potential Fun in a timed close-off and refill. Urist McLumberjack cancels fell tree, dangerous terrain.

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 04:23:47 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-21715-towercapfarms

This is my first attempt at a tower-cap farm.  Will it work?  Its set up to completely fill the room, then I can close off the river then drain the room into the nearby pit.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 04:33:25 pm by Pkassad »
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 08:59:05 pm »

I can see much potential Fun in a timed close-off and refill. Urist McLumberjack cancels fell tree, dangerous terrain.

I can see one or two dwarves not getting out of that room in time even if it is set up properly, just because it's fully automated based on time, not on anything that relates to how the dwarves are given commands.  First thing you learn about it is "Urist McLumberjack has drowned".
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 11:28:53 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-21715-towercapfarms

This is my first attempt at a tower-cap farm.  Will it work?  Its set up to completely fill the room, then I can close off the river then drain the room into the nearby pit.

So long as you get those rocks out of there, get the water in, get the water out, it will be muddy and all will be well. Then it's just a matter of being patient.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 01:51:04 am »

The 1/7-size (plus just a little) tank works great for me.  But then it's not exactly that simple... <insert enormous wall of text>

why not just channel out the bottom of the tank(s) and build retracting bridges under them?  don't need to worry about TC clogging or speedy delivery of water in that case.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 04:16:58 am »

I know I know ... I was just being a bezzerwizzer.  :) Bad habit.

Furthermore, tower caps *are* trees to all intents and purposes, and aboveground trees will *also* grow adjacent to one another.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 05:14:40 am »

I can see one or two dwarves not getting out of that room in time even if it is set up properly, just because it's fully automated based on time, not on anything that relates to how the dwarves are given commands.  First thing you learn about it is "Urist McLumberjack has drowned".

It's one way of getting rid of those useless slow and lazy peasants that procrastinate or take time making decisions or whatever.  One season ought to be long enough to cut all the trees and haul away the wood.  If they want to sit in there and smoke their pipe, well, the next peasant can pick up their axe in a year's time.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 12:04:37 pm »

Tower cap farms are pretty simple.

Just dig out a section of your map, usually one of the lower sections. You should get a nice haul of ore and gems while doing this, as well as metric fucktons of stone.

You can dump the stone into a chasm, magma, or atom smasher if you want, or make them all into blocks. Doesn't matter, but you will need to remove the stone from the area or tower caps will not grow.

Flood the area. Simplest way is a dwarf powered pump. Make sure you have some drain set up, easiest is fortifications on the edge of the map. Once the entire area is muddy stop pumping water and let it dry. If it is a very large area it could take years.

Once the water has receded get your dwarves busy hauling. This will also probably take years to haul all of that stone away.

Now that the area is both cleared of stone and also muddy, tower caps and shrubs will grow happily, and very quickly.

I recommend clearing the entire place of both tower caps and shrubs every other year or so. Just occasionally go in there and strip the place bare.

For even more wood you can build a multi-level tower cap farm with multiple levels of floor space for growing, or just make the area really huge. More muddy floorspace means more lumber!

Be prepared for your FPS to die while you are flooding and draining it, and for the very ambitious tower cap farms it can take a decade to get it ready, from start to finish.
Pages: 1 [2]